Author Topic: My biggest problem - nailing toilet training!!  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: My biggest problem - nailing toilet training!!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
I did follow the sticky 1st and 2nd time round, the only difference was I paper trained initially and they slept upstairs. 

I'm not stressing at all actually, I've had the worst possible, so the only way is up surely!  I'd just rather get things right at the beginning as opposed to having to sort out any mistakes I've made  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 10:04:08 PM »
Just relax, I've no idea why you would have notes on when your pups go to the toilet. Do you go the same amount of times at the same time each day?

Put your pup outside as soon as you get up no fuss and say wee or toilet, once they have wee'd ask them to poo. Lots of fuss after, then every time they wake up and last thing before bed. When the weather is better leave the door open your pup will go out himself. This way s worked for me for the last 25uears and all pups trained within a week. NEVER use paper or pads by the door.

Also don't sleep downstairs leave them alone on a night- toilet before bed no fuss cover the cage. If you wake up for the toilet go down but do t get a routine, you have them depending on you too much fro. What your have said before. Just relax and enjoy

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 10:05:21 PM »
Also put a big cuddly toy in with him helps sooth them once they leave mum.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
Keeping a note of when Dylan did his poos just made it easier to anticipate, we didn't,t stress over it. For example, he always seemed to go between 10 and 11 in the morning, so when we went to puppy class at 10 in the morning,we knew to whip him outside halfway thru. Vets always ask about your dogs routine, so it seems sensible to know how many times a day they go when they are young. We did it for a couple of months.

I,ve never done this with my previous nine dogs - it may be because we are retired now and have more time and interest  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline PennyB

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »
the best way I did it for many pups was to not do it so rigidly but using points in the day, i.e. when they wake up, before they eat, after they eat, etc. that way you don't become obsessed with it then get stressed which then has an effect on the pup who then may have a greater issue with toliet training because an owner is stressed (just like some kids can get if parents become obsessed over similar subject). In the evening as it got later and if I was tired on occasion they did pee or poop in the house (I never paper train either in kitchen or in the crate) but hey what's the big deal if they do - they got there in the same time if I was stressing about it or not.

Just because so and so does it in record time shouldn't matter one iota - all dogs are different. Most of mine were easyish, Stella never was but then she just took longer and because it was winter and because she squats so low her bum was practically on floor to pee as she hated the wet weather then she'd pee in the kitchen where it was warmer (she doesn't any longer).

The more you chill the more you'll have a chilled pup and adult dog
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »
The more you chill the more you'll have a chilled pup and adult dog

This is so true! Having house-trained so many pups over the years, I have found they are all different, some are quick to "get it", some are not but ALL get there in the end with patience and consistency. Yes there will be accidents in the house along the way - that is part and parcel of having a puppy but there's no need to stress about it, it's a phase that soon passes (when you consider how short puppy-hood is compared to a dog's overall lifespan) Don't get sucked in to comparing your puppy with anyone else's - they are all different but like Penny says, if you stay calm & don't worry about how quickly house training is progressing (or not), the whole experience will be much easier for you and your pup.
Jane

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »
Relax, you don't even have the puppy home yet!

Your new puppy is an unknown entity - just don't set him up to fail by having high expectations of him and don't compare him to your previous dogs or dogs you may know.  There will be accidents, he may get some things very quickly, some he may not. 

To be honest it worries me that you're obsessing on something that might not even happen.  Your puppy needs to be in a calm relaxed environment, not one where the owner is constantly on eggshells about something that hasn't even happened yet - they are very sensitive  ;) 

helen & jarvis x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »
I always use the phrase go pee pees, just as they are about to go and they are pretty good, I always did it before going out to work sometimes they didn't want to actually go but I would persevere until they went even if it was only a squirt  ;) the neighbours prob think im insane but who cares . make sure you use the same words and the pup should get it
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy