Author Topic: New Owners - changing Petlog chip details and KC Keepership  (Read 9641 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
For those who have purchased their pups since the change in law for microchipping (after 6th April), did you pay only once to change both the chip details and the transfer of KC ownership?  Monty's breeder still hasn't given me the Petlog Transfer Code needed for me to register him to me (costing £16).  However KC transfer of ownership is also £16 and I was wondering if both could be done for £16 in total as they're both under the Kennel Club?  Just wanting to know if anyone has done this before I contact the KC!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: New Owners - changing Petlog chip details and KC Keepership
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
isn't it 2 separate things
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »
It's two separate things, and each costs £16 - a nice little earner for the KC!  You can download a form from the petlog website to transfer the microchip details without a code, by snail mail and cheque - I had to do this, apparently the petlog web process was too complicated for the breeder.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
Yes, my breeder keeps saying she can't get to speak to anyone at Petlog (always engaged :shades:) and hasn't got the code....

Can't believe they charge twice - both are the Kennel Club  >:(
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
I don't think you do have to pay £16 twice - there is a procedure for breeders to follow which should mean there isn't this double whammy but all the steps have to be done in a certain order to avoid this. I've copied the procedure down from another source (it's written from the breeder's perspective but hopefully will still be useful - the breeder needs to have set up a breeder account on the Petlog website first). There was chaos when the system was first introduced but think people are managing to sort it out now (certainly the Petlog website is working for me when I log in)

Once the litter is registered, all the pups will show in your 'MYKC' account. You then have their registration numbers. Then go to Petlog and register the chips with KC reg numbers. You will then have a petlog ID for each puppy to go back onto 'MYKC and add the microchip number using the petlog ID number. The KC website will then confirm the free transfer of ownership option for their microchip. You then need to request a transfer of keepership code from petlog website to give to the new owners with each puppy. The new owners then need to do their transfer of ownership with the KC first. Then ring petlog to request a free transfer of keepership
Jane

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I will be mightily peeved if that's the case!  >:(

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
I didn't have to pay twice for mine, but I do know it was a lot of calls to KC for my breeder to sort out with the new system.  :-\

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »
Sorry thinking about, I bought Reese home just before the 6th April so it may have changed.  :-\

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:54:22 PM »
Thanks for info Jane, just what I needed.  I'll give it to the breeder, to try and chivvy her along.....

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
The breeder did give me a code, after quite a bit of chivvying, but she grumbled about how difficult it had been.
I couldn't get it to work on the website, so I assumed she'd cocked it up somehow, and sent off my form & cheque.  I'll be interested to know how you get on Geordietyke, maybe I can get a refund if I have overpaid.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:54:31 PM »
While my encounter with Petlog is different - I did not pay anything.

In Wales we were meant to go live with micro chipping ahead of England, then it was put back a year or so to match rest.

As Ollie is 8 years old and a rescue - I was not sure if micro chipped so went to a Dogs Trust free chipping event - must be two years ago, only to find Ollie had a Petlog ID.  I was told to write with the ID number and proof purchase etc.

Sent letter and copies purchase and about 3 weeks later Petlog sent new certificate.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 05:02:37 PM »
Just an update to this thread to confirm that new puppy owners are entitled to a free record change to their microchip once they register their Change of Ownership with the KC. This info is taken from http://www.chipitcheckit.co.uk/ (website run by the KC & Petlog)

FREE MICROCHIP RECORD CHANGES FOR PUPPIES

If you register your litter with the Kennel Club, the Kennel Club has put in place a new process to ensure complying with the new microchipping law is straightforward and cost effective.

Petlog, the UK’s largest database for microchipped pets is managed by the Kennel Club and is one of several databases operating in the UK.

From April 2016, the Kennel Club and Petlog will be introducing free microchip record changes for puppies registered on the Kennel Club breed register, which have Petlog associated microchips.

New owners that complete the Change of Ownership will receive the Transfer of Keepership on the Petlog database and Petlog Premium for free. It will be a legal requirement for dogs to be in the current owner’s name and so this will be a saving of £16. If the breeder keeps a puppy, they will receive the premium reunification service free of charge.

The new online package will be more cost effective as owners will save £16 and will provide benefits for the breeder and the puppy buyer. It will also enable them to keep their details up to date over the lifetime of the pet - a vital part of the new legislation - and ensure that pets are returned to their owners as quickly as possible should they go missing.

Petlog Premium offers a lifetime package of reunification services to pet owners, including free updates to their records for the life of their pet; a 30 mile radius lost pet alert, Mydog app and the ability to add emergency contact details and holiday contact details when abroad.

To be eligible to receive the free microchip record changes with Petlog, breeders must ensure they microchip their puppies with a microchip that is associated with Petlog.

Jane

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
Thank you so much for that Jane, extremely helpful to me  :D

Offline Neil

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
I had no difficulty transferring Bobby's ownership back to me. His temporary owner had passed on to me his new KC registration certificate and, with the details from that, I was able to register the change of ownership on their Web site.

She did not give me the "required" petlog transfer code, and as I knew she was away from home for a week, I filled in the paper form that you can download from petlog Web site and put it in the post. Got the confirmation back from petlog today.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 08:50:45 AM »
I had no difficulty transferring Bobby's ownership back to me. His temporary owner had passed on to me his new KC registration certificate and, with the details from that, I was able to register the change of ownership on their Web site.

She did not give me the "required" petlog transfer code, and as I knew she was away from home for a week, I filled in the paper form that you can download from petlog Web site and put it in the post. Got the confirmation back from petlog today.

This issue is really only in relation to puppies rather than dogs simply being transferred from owner to owner - new legislation was brought in in April which required breeders to microchip puppies before sale - this caused a meltdown in the system and a lot of confusion. The pet log code is indeed "required" under this new system but it wouldn't have applied in your case which was a simple transfer.
Jane