Author Topic: "The" First night  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Mumof3

"The" First night
« on: October 09, 2016, 05:40:56 AM »
Lots of whimpering every hour :(
How to stop this?

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: "The" First night
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »
First let me say welcome to Cooper.  :D
Oh bless! We did tell you to make sure you got plenty of sleep before!   :005:
I don't really know enough to advise you but someone will be along soon. May need more info such as where did he sleep, is he in a crate and toilet routine etc.
My first 2 weeks were hell! I did the same as I had with my other puppies (crate, pen, stayed close 1st few nights, toilet without a fuss and try to establish a routine)  but had never know a pup like it! It took a couple of weeks of the most ungodly noise for him to really settle.
He is only a baby and it is all new to him and he will take a while to settle but it does get better. X

Offline Mumof3

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 07:05:10 AM »
We let him try his crate when he got home, was free to run in and out of it, the crate is located in the dining room. We did shut the door of the crate at dinner time when we was all st having dinner.
When it came to bedtime we did the whole wee before bed and he just would not even condone going in the crate and ran and hid under the table.
So I took his bed out of the crate and left in the kitchen with the stairgate shut.
I ended up staying downstairs in the living room to aid when he got too noisy x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
The next couple of weeks will probably be a bit chaotic until little Cooper settles down. Its a huge step for such a little pup, he's left his Mum and his siblings and everything he knows and has been whisked away to a strange environment, strange smells, strange people and when the lights fo out and he's alone in his crate, he's frightened and crying for his mum. Its all quite normal and we've all been there, some had it easy, some not so. First step - remember its only for a limited time, so try to stay as calm as you can, the calmer you are, the quicker he'll get through it.
There'll be lots of advice coming, everyone's got their own way of doing things, but for the record, this is what we did.:
First night I put the crate next to the sofa and I slept (well, - off and on anyway :005:) there. I put my fingers through the crate and talked quietly. At one point he got so hysterical, I put a tiny bowl of water in there and he lapped it up like mad and fell asleep with his head over the bowl!
Second night I also slept downstairs but moved the crate a bit further away. He'd still not settled after about 10 minutes and I slapped my hand on the crate and said "quiet" and he was si shicked he shut up!
The following couple of nights I stayed down until he'd gone off and then went back upstairs. He had an old T shirt of mine in the crate (stayed there for months!) and some nights, if he didn't want to settle, I left the radio on low. 
On a general note, we didn't play with him at all after his evening meal,(still don't), so that he didn't get over excited before bedtime.
There is no one size fits all solution, we were very lucky in that Humphrey is very laid back, we're retired, the kids have flown the nest and it didn't matter too much if I got tired, I could catch up later, but the calmer and more patient you can manage to stay, the quicker Cooper will feel secure - and try as much as possible to stick to routine, they need that, especially in the beginning.
Best of luck and remember, we're all here for you, so such shout up or have a rant if you need to, we're listening!!  ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
Ah bless things he knew have completely gone .  Just a couple or so things to try

Is his crate covered to make him more secure?
did you bring a blanket or anything from the breeder for him to sleep with?
can you give him a t shirt that you have worn to go into his crate?

Jinley had a ticking clock in her crate too - it might help x

Offline tenaille

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
I think these posts about sum it up. If he's crying for mum he's probably better being in his crate than wandering around, he'll feel more secure. It generally doesn't take too long before they sleep through although its different for each pup.
My Martha used to wake me up in the morning to go out for a wee but now at 7 months I wake her up at 7:30 for cuddles  :luv:

Offline AlanT

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
Pop along to a Charity-shop and get a childs cuddly toy. We had a black/white chap called Snoopy.
Snoopy survived intact and comes out from time to time if we are poorly.

Put this in the crate and it makes a nice sleeping companion.

I put the crate on the landing so he could hear me snoring.

At 3am I got up and went went outside. Same again a 6am.

Quite soon would go peacefully through the night until about 7am.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »
Another thing I forgot - a kong with a bit of liver sausage inside is a good  distraction when lights go out at bedtime. Humphrey still gets his,,its just become routine!

Offline Mumof3

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
Ah bless things he knew have completely gone .  Just a couple or so things to try

Is his crate covered to make him more secure?
did you bring a blanket or anything from the breeder for him to sleep with?
can you give him a t shirt that you have worn to go into his crate?

Jinley had a ticking clock in her crate too - it might help x

He didn't have a blanket from breeder no, but had a towel last night that smelt of me, and today he's had my dressing gown :)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 08:06:32 PM »
I had a few problems with Blue at the beginning, but it resolved with me sleeping on the floor next to his crate for a few nights and letting him out to toilet every 3 or 4 hours at first.  I'm delighted to say he manages a good 10 hours now!

Offline Mumof3

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
I was considering bringing in the cushions off the sofa tonight to sleep in the dining room with him, I have to usually test my daughters blood sugars around 2.30am so can let him out too, although there is no lights in our garden a torch will have to do hehe

Offline Mumof3

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 03:07:39 AM »
NIGHT NUMBER TWO...

put a massive sheet over the crate, placed the sofa cushions on the floor in dining room to sleep out there with him.
Toileted before bed 22.30 then just done him now 2.30am (wee and poo)
He's still quite whiney even tho I'm near him and he can see me :(

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 07:02:13 AM »
It gets better - promise! Hang on in there!!!  ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:53 AM »
Don't worry he will have you trained in no time at all!

I also wondered at what point you will be letting him upstairs to sleep if he is going to became an alert buddy for your daughter? 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 08:22:57 AM »
Perfectly normal - this might go on for the first few days or even couple of weeks.  Just keep doing what you are doing and it will get better  ;)
Julie and Watson