Author Topic: Belly rubs  (Read 1251 times)

Offline rachmonkey

Belly rubs
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:08:33 PM »
Our Cooper who is only 15 weeks loves a belly rubs.  A d loves to sleep stretched out exposing his tummy. So funny

He gets so excited when he sees us and a stroke and a bit of ear rub quickly descends I to  hin Lying down, tail wagging for a nice belly rubs.  He's very sociable a d when we are out walking we get lots of attention because his colours and markings are quite unusual. If people are friendly he quite often lies down  for a belly rubs, tail wagging.  :lol2:

I have known other cockers do this a d without deres if the is a bit of a cocker thing? He's not cowering it's just pure enjoyment!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Belly rubs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:06 AM »
 :luv: I think most dogs enjoy it but cockers are especially people friendly and enjoy the attention. And  ofcourse no other breed has perfected the little cocker wriggle and tail wagg while having their tummies rubbed (and they certainly know how to use it to their advantage!! :005:)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
Archie is exactly the same. He LOVES a belly rub. He will demand them by grabbing my arm with his paw and pulling it towards him. Whenever we meet people out on a walk he will sit looking adoringly at them and if they go to stroke him he rolls over on his back for them. Hes just a big old teddy bear at heart.  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
Daisy loves a belly rub, the paw goes up and over she goes in one easy movement! Very well rehearsed  :005: I think it's adorable, and I reckon most of our clever babies figure that out really quickly!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
Never met a cocker that didn't love belly rubs  :luv: But I think the behaviour described is also sign of a dog that feels safe and confident around people. My girl loves belly rubs, but will only lay on her back if she knows people well, and even then usually only if they are sitting in a sofa next to her. I am the only one she will do that cocker thing with, the one where they just flop over on their back in the middle of the floor wagging and asking for a belly rub  :luv:

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
Yep eze is same. But not sure I totally agree with it being a sign of confidence around people. If you let her come to you in her own time she is fine she will sit or jump up for a stroke but if you bend over her and or get her excited she lays on her back and sometimes wee's. Personally I don't like it much as to me its a subdominant behaviour brought on by anxiety at a great big human towering over her. She does it worse when my mum greets her , I have given up trying to tell her not to. Only my opinion based on my own bitch of course.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:30:46 AM »
I agree that the behaviour you describe for Eze could be rooted in insecurity. I was thinking more of those dogs that run up to you and flop on their back inviting you to rub their bellies with no signs of submissiveness, only happy wagging  ;)  Typical in labs and cockers. I can see why you don't like what Eze does, but at least she is secure enough to expose her belly. That suggests to me that she is being careful, not fearful. My girl would never do that if she felt worried about greeting someone, she would back away, tail between her legs, maybe even give a bark depending on how stressed she was.

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
You may be right Mari, she certainly never backs away with tail between legs. She only does it when people bend over her she then squirms about a bit as if she is going to pee (which many times she does) then its on too her back. She occasionally will roll over for Lynn or I for a belly rub but these occasions are different. I suppose there are different reasons for the same behaviour .
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.