Author Topic: Kennels and a non barking dog  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Jenny11234

Kennels and a non barking dog
« on: June 11, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
Hello, I have a 6 month old working cocker called Maisey and we are going to put her in kennels for a day to see how she gets on just so she can start getting used to it. Currently she doesn't bark at all, never has which is great as she goes into the office every day with my partner. I'm worried that when she goes into kennels where all the other dogs bark, she'll start doing it herself, has any one had any experience of this? Thanks

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Kennels and a non barking dog
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »
yes...  from both sides.  I've had cockers that were quiet at home, but very gobby in kennels.  But they never started doing it at home.  But they were 'inside dogs'.  Different environments, different behaviour, i suppose.  However a friend has working labs who are kennelled at home.  They were always quiet, until a stint at kennels and now a number of them make noise while kennelled at home.  Probably doesn't help!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
I wouldn’t put my cocker into a kennel with other dogs that bark.  I’d question why they are barking - is it boredom, fear, learned behaviour?  I would find a kennels that the dogs are happy, relaxed, exercised/trained and mute.  They may cost more but worth the expense to know ours are safe and  calm.

Offline juju

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
Izzy is now almost seven and has never been a barker. She will occasionally bark if she hears something outside the house as a warning to me but never seems to bark if I'm out. She first went into kennels when she was five months old. She went in for a weekend a few weeks before I went to family at Christmas. If I go in to pick her up the dogs in other kennels may be barking but Izzy will be quiet, just wagging her tail like mad!

Offline Jenny11234

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies