Author Topic: Teenage pups!  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Looe

Teenage pups!
« on: June 24, 2021, 09:33:28 PM »
Deleted
Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog its too dark to read ....

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Help please why have we failed so badly
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 10:59:31 PM »
Hi,

I’ve been on this forum for just over nine years and active for 8 years and 3 months……….  You are not alone!  I can recall the evening I sat on the living room floor with a low flying set of teeth leaping past me, jumping over me and often connecting with me - I sobbed my heart out thinking I’d failed.

In my case I had an anxious, over excited and over tired dog.  9 months is the point at which the teenage phase starts, they test boundaries, fool you into thinking they are adult dogs and when you’ve consumed all the chocolate and wine in the house, still have energy and behave badly.

Do you have a set routine with your boy? He’s still a puppy and needs around 18 hours sleep a day.  My younger two are six and two years old and spend a lot of time in their crate each day - happily so - asking to go in as a matter of routine.  When the penny dropped that Pearl (first cocker) was over tired and fractious, just as a toddler would be, she had lots more sleep which helped with the wild behaviour. 

Cockers are hunting dogs, born to hunt, find, flush, chase, catch, kill and eat.  We humans ask a lot of our dogs to break that cycle at the hunt, find, flush stage.  Instead we expect our dogs to bring back or retrieve the quarry.  This also relates to toys and any form of contraband.  In your boys head, he’s getting attention and all attention is good to a dog, even being shouted at….. he’s basically doing what he’s been bred to do but probably doesn’t yet understand that bringing the item back to you will get a better response and positive praise rather than a telling off!  He won’t understand the difference between a child’s toy or his own and cardboard makes a great sound as it’s torn up! He’s also bright and worked out the quickest way to the treats is by ripping up the tube!

I would suggest that you find a local gundog trainer who will help you learn to read your boys behaviour and tap into his natural abilities.  You don’t have to work your dog but they will give you basic exercises that will tire his mind and help with obedience - including walking at heel and steadiness.  If you let me know which part of the country you are located in, I may be able to point you to a suitable trainer.

It also sounds as though his training at home is not consistent.  It’s really important to have a solid sit and stay with working cockers.  That is, he sits and does not move again until you tell him he can!  Honest, it is possible.  My two year old will sit and wait to be released for anything (tested) up to 40 minutes while I pop in and out of the house.  This with distractions of the other dogs - we have four cockers, was five but Pearl died end of January.  Like everything in life, you get out of it, what you put in.  Nine months is the perfect age to start serious training but you will need everyone in the house to play by the same rules - set boundaries, routines and commands.  Gundog training will help with all of this and there is nothing better than having a well behaved dog, which you will have, soon.

Jayne

Offline Pearly

• Donator
Re: Deleted
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 11:04:26 PM »
Just seen where you are located.  You are very lucky to have an exceptional gundog trainer almost on your doorstep.

Tracey Corbin of Corbinere Gundogs.  She has cocker spaniels and was nominated for and won gundog trainer of the year 2019 (there wasn’t an award last year or this, so far).

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 01:12:30 AM »
Great post Pearly 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 06:29:21 AM »
Unfortunate that the original post has been deleted and heading changed as Pearly‘s detailed and very useful advice is going to get overlooked by anyone else looking for help in the Puppies section.
 @ Admin, might it be possible to at least give the thread a name again so that it can at least be used as a reference in the future?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Help please why have we failed so badly
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
Not sure why the original post was removed  :huh:  Looe, perhaps you could enlighten us?

But I have changed the title so the replies might be of use to someone else  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Pearly

• Donator
Re: Teenage pups!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
I think Looe may have posted at a very low point with a typical 9 month old, full on, mischievous, working cocker spaniel.  We’ve (mostly) all been there!

It was a very well constructed note asking for help.

I hope Looe does read the info about Corbinere Gundogs.  The other resource to look at is an online application, which I’ve not subscribed to but am told in very good, is the “Gundog Training” App (available in app stores) published by Beggarbush Gundogs.  Beggarbush (Ben Randall) has also been the Gundog Trainer of the year a number of times and is around 1.5 hours from Looe, in Ledbury. 

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
Unfortunate that the original post has been deleted and heading changed as Pearly‘s detailed and very useful advice is going to get overlooked by anyone else looking for help in the Puppies section.
 @ Admin, might it be possible to at least give the thread a name again so that it can at least be used as a reference in the future?

Here here 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Looe

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
Hello its me I was the original author and was feeling a little deflated and deleted before I saw any replies, as I felt a bit daft tbh.
But thankyou so much for your comments I really appreciate your adviceand words of wisdom, I'll happily taken onas much as possible please.
Original comments were:
We have a 9 month old male WCS, we had our last 2 for 14 years xx but now feel very out of our depth and know we need to pull our socks up.
He counter surfs the kitchen
He jumps up at the table, he steals food if he can.
He hunts through the bin
He chews  and eats anything he can reach even on tip toes.
He will bark or nip for attention.
He steals anything he can reach even on tip toes.
He greets everyone and everything at 90mph feet first.
He pulls like a train on the lead.
He gets over excited when our little boy (age 6) is playing in or outside and can jump up and bitey.
This is the same if our son has friends over.
It's very stressful, not relaxing it's constant fielding or segregation or isolation it's awful. Literally cannot take your eye of him for a second. If he doesn't have your attention then the behaviours begin, I'm guessing boredom or because he wants attention.
If it were just one issue it would be easier to manage but I feel that we have created a "monster" and I don't want us to let him down. Plus I want us all to be able to enjoy things together inside and outside as a family with four paws Inc 😁
Looe
Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog its too dark to read ....

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 08:21:28 PM »
So pleased you have re-posted, a trouble shared and all that  ;)

9 months is exactly the right age to start some serious training and get really quick results!  I’m sure others will be along with more experience who will also help but I would suggest contacting Tracey - one or two lessons will make all the difference and give you the confidence you can deal with your boy (name?) yourselves,

Jayne

Offline Looe

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 09:08:03 PM »
Hi there thankyou again and yes you are so right  :D his name is Digby xx I would post a pic but can't get a profile pic to upload. I've just been reading up on Corbinsbere Gundog they're about 45 mins from us but worth it if we can sort ourselves out. We did try a gundog trainer but after an hour he said he's not doing anything I wouldn't expect from a wcs pup maybe come back in a few weeks to see how you're getting on  :o. But these look fab and I'll make contact. I would be interested in what people's general daily routines are with their pups. Looe

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 12:39:42 PM »
Thought about Digby and your situation a little more.  Is he still on puppy food and what sort of weight is he - can you see his ribs or a defined waist etc?

It will be worth starting a new post to ask about routines - its a great question that many others will benefit from x

Offline Looe

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 09:41:49 PM »
Thought about Digby and your situation a little more.  Is he still on puppy food and what sort of weight is he - can you see his ribs or a defined waist etc?

It will be worth starting a new post to ask about routines - its a great question that many others will benefit from x
Thanks Pearly  :D he's on Tails - hypoallergenic, 3 scoops a day (bkfst lunch n dinns) its small kibble he likes it. They have introduced bigger pieces in the mix and I've just changed his activity level on his profile as it didn't quite match. He's 12.5kg, he's just been for a checkup at the vets and they were really happy with his build, definition and rib coverage and coat etc what were you thinking, did have some other ideas 😉

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »

Thanks Pearly  :D he's on Tails - hypoallergenic, 3 scoops a day (bkfst lunch n dinns) its small kibble he likes it. They have introduced bigger pieces in the mix and I've just changed his activity level on his profile as it didn't quite match. He's 12.5kg, he's just been for a checkup at the vets and they were really happy with his build, definition and rib coverage and coat etc what were you thinking, did have some other ideas 😉

I was curious if he was still on puppy food and may be ready to reduce protein levels to adult “maintenance” food.  If he’s in good condition but still hungry (stealing and counter surfing) he may need less protein and a food that releases more slowly (beef is better than chicken or salmon for this).  Just a thought.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 01:00:05 PM »
Hello its me I was the original author and was feeling a little deflated and deleted before I saw any replies, as I felt a bit daft tbh.
But thankyou so much for your comments I really appreciate your adviceand words of wisdom, I'll happily taken onas much as possible please.
Original comments were:
We have a 9 month old male WCS, we had our last 2 for 14 years xx but now feel very out of our depth and know we need to pull our socks up.
He counter surfs the kitchen
He jumps up at the table, he steals food if he can.
He hunts through the bin
He chews  and eats anything he can reach even on tip toes.
He will bark or nip for attention.
He steals anything he can reach even on tip toes.
He greets everyone and everything at 90mph feet first.
He pulls like a train on the lead.
He gets over excited when our little boy (age 6) is playing in or outside and can jump up and bitey.
This is the same if our son has friends over.
It's very stressful, not relaxing it's constant fielding or segregation or isolation it's awful. Literally cannot take your eye of him for a second. If he doesn't have your attention then the behaviours begin, I'm guessing boredom or because he wants attention.
If it were just one issue it would be easier to manage but I feel that we have created a "monster" and I don't want us to let him down. Plus I want us all to be able to enjoy things together inside and outside as a family with four paws Inc 😁
Looe

He must be Salty's long lost brother
Now at 2 years Salty is far, far better, and a complete soppy cuddle magnet, but still after a while running free in the garden he can get over excited and nip me for attention, when he looks really quite vicious but now I know its just play (only thing to do is turn my back on him and go into the house)
I dont let him off the lead at the beach tho as he could terrorise other people who dont know him  (and because he then eats so much dead marine life  :005: ) Luckily we have a large garden.
I found a house line really great to enable us to take back control easily, he even realised it wasnt open season any more as soon as it was put on.
But I am no expert  :lol2: I must admit I mostly just rode out the storm - his training is abysmal but he is the best little doggy monster in the world!!