Author Topic: Cats and puppies  (Read 1346 times)

Offline micky1507

Cats and puppies
« on: July 28, 2021, 08:37:04 AM »
Morning!

Does anyone have any advice on how best to introduce a new puppy to our 2 cats?
We’ve wanted a dog for so long, but I wouldn’t want the cats to get upset and not come home.
They have dogs that live all around us, and the cats don’t show any aggressive behaviours towards them - in fact they tease them by sitting just outside of reach.
Our cats are very ‘homely’ and sleep inside most of the day.

Many online sites say it can take a few weeks for each to accept each other and in that time the pup has to be kept on a lead or behind a baby gate.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Cats and puppies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
Use the “wet flannel” trick - before introducing your pup, dampen a flannel with warm water and rub over the pup, then rub over the cats, back to the pup and so on a few times each.  That way you are cross scenting.

Give the cats space and a safe place to get to that your pup cannot, perhaps behind a stair gate.

Don’t allow your pup to chase the cats, not even in play and however funny (and it will be) as you are teaching your dog it’s ok to chase other animals, you will thank me for this when your pup hits the teenage phase!  :shades:

Otherwise, supervise the meeting, monitor play and when your pup gets to around 7Kg make sure your cats are safe…..my first cocker put the cats back out through playing!

Some cats will never warm to a dog but if yours are used to dogs being around them, even at a distance, it shouldn’t be such a shock!

Good luck, Jayne

Offline micky1507

Re: Cats and puppies
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »
Thank you Jayne. I haven’t heard of the wet flannel trick before. I’m sure all will be fine!  :D