Author Topic: Brain games  (Read 1898 times)

Offline sophie.ivy

Brain games
« on: February 15, 2022, 10:09:32 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for brain games for an adolescent puppy?

I have a feeling my girl might be coming into season soon so I will need to find ways to tire her out at home. I also like to play games with her in the afternoon as that seems to be when she's most active and I most need to get on with some work! I've played 'go find' the treat/tennis ball under the cone or bowl, asking her to go find the toy I name, kibble in a plastic bottle, and snufflemats (which she picks up and shakes to get the treats out!)

I'm feeling a bit uninspired with other games to try, especially games that don't involve food as she's a bit food-obsessed, so any and all suggestions welcome!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Brain games
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
Maisie is 7 months old now and coming up to her first season too. My friend’s dog came into season at 6 months.  I think the start of the  first season can vary from 6 months to a year.
Ivy sounds a clever little girl who doesn’t have to snuffle out her treats and has worked out a way of getting them much quicker  :005:
My suggestion is not a game but if I want to get on with things in the house without Maisie, I give her a marrow bone on her settle mat.  I don’t know how you feel about bones as some people are opposed to them but I keep Maisie in the same room as me and when she is gnawing away she doesn’t even notice what I am doing.  This is the same dog who usually has to be involved in EVERYTHING  :D
The gnawing also helps to tire her out  :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 02:56:30 PM »
We‘re trying to teach Humphrey to „tidy up“ (never worked with the  kids but maybe I‘ll have more luck with the dog!  :lol2:)
The goal is for him to fetch the toys one by one and drop them into the basket, so it basically involves learning the names of the toys, a „find/bring“  and a „drop“. You can start with just one object and then introduce new toys. You‘ll need a few treats to start with but you can start and phase those out.
Screwed up newspaper, with just a few treats hidden inbetween put into a big cardboard box keeps Humphrey occupied for a while. I chop up bits of carrot and apple as well as tiny bits of cheese which saves on the calories. I also save empty toilet rolls, put a small treat inside, fold the ends over and put those into the box as well. It does make a bit of a mess but he‘ll carry on ripping up the paper long after the treats have all gone.
If she‘s not enthusiastic about carrot and co, you could try cutting them up and mixing them in a bag with a few bits of chopped sausage or cheese, so that they at least take on a bit of a cheesy/ sausagey smell! (My dog‘s pretty easily fooled!  :005:)

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 09:14:00 AM »
Thank you Vixen and Bizzylizzy - great ideas! I bet she will love the marrowbone as anything that involves gnawing is the best. I've had to take away the last few split antlers as they've splintered really easily so need a substitute for her to gnaw on whilst she's on her mat and I'm doing bits and bobs in the kitchen. I'm hoping they might even be more interesting than sticking her head in the dishwasher when my back is turned.

I've had a hunt in the recycling and found everything for the cereal box game - I have a feeling it's going to be a big hit as the first time I gave her a cardboard box to shred it still had some crumbs in it and she's never forgotten :005:

I did think she was coming into season last week as she seemed a bit agitated and was nesting in her plastic bed, but no sign of it so far. Watching her like a hawk as she has a few training sessions coming up and it wouldn't be fair on the male dogs to take her. Although, the dog next door will probably let me know before I've even noticed anything!

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 03:23:19 PM »
Screwed up newspaper, with just a few treats hidden inbetween put into a big cardboard box keeps Humphrey occupied for a while. I chop up bits of carrot and apple as well as tiny bits of cheese which saves on the calories. I also save empty toilet rolls, put a small treat inside, fold the ends over and put those into the box as well. It does make a bit of a mess but he‘ll carry on ripping up the paper long after the treats have all gone.

Great suggestion!! The cardboard box game was a big hit with my girl, kept her busy for ages (and me cleaning it up after :005: )

Happy tongue out Tuesday!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »
Oh yes, sorry, forgot to mention it could get a bit messy!  :005: :005: :005:

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 10:02:49 PM »

Great suggestion!! The cardboard box game was a big hit with my girl, kept her busy for ages (and me cleaning it up after :005: )

Happy tongue out Tuesday!

[/quote]

That photo has made my day :D