Author Topic: Nipping/biting  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Cathymac

Nipping/biting
« on: February 01, 2022, 11:52:35 AM »
Hi all,
I just wanted some advice re the above. Bess is 7 months old and is still quite mouthy sometimes. She had been quite " cockerdile" like for months and then seemed to calm. We worked out that if she was tired/ hungry this was when she was particularly " tricky". I did read Ian Dunbar and his article on the Bite Inhibition and tried to do this. Unfortunately there are 6 of us in the house ( 3 adults, husband, sister and I and 3 kids, the youngest is 8 and very energetic and quite hyper at times) so consistency has been largely impossible!

She seems to have regressed and become a little nippy again. Her bite is fairly soft so it is more mouthing although she has started to chew my sister's slippers and the kids' again ( particularly them as she sees them as her play buddies who do tug with her etc).

I suppose my question is, is this normal at 7 months to regress? She hasn't had her season yet so this might be a factor?

I don't want to do nose tapping/ water spraying for obvious reasons. Is it just a case of going back to basics again? I don't think we need a behaviourist/ trainer again. Just keen not to be rearing a dog that bites and do the best for her and everyone really.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Cathymac

Re: Nipping/biting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 11:53:50 AM »
Sorry should clarify we haven't had a behaviourist to help but she did puppy training classes many months ago.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 02:40:36 PM »
Its perfectly normal, her back teeth will be coming through.  Its likely she will have smelly breath and loose stools as well….

Antlers, yak bars and age appropriate dog chews will help, as will long slices of carrot or dried chicken breasts.  Anything she can get to her back teeth to chew.

Offline Cathymac

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 04:41:54 PM »
Thanks so much for responding! Actually her stools have been very loose the last two days so that now also makes sense. Will try the chicken breasts. The antlers/yak don't seem to be her favourites and she discards carrots when we give her. She loves chicken though as a treat so will try that. Appreciate your wisdom!

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
Sounds like a fun combination of teething and a rush of hormones!

My working cocker's adult teeth are through now (vet checked) but when the back molars were coming in, it caused her a huge amount of discomfort and she chewed everything in her path.

That's a shame about the yak chews and antlers as that's what saved our shoes (and sanity!) really. Would your girl be interested in a coffee tree wood chew? I think you can get other types, but coffee tree is meant to splinter less.

For the nipping, it's a tricky one as this is normal play for puppies but not for us. I would make sure she knows how you would prefer her to play with you and the family. Directing her mouthing onto toys and big praise/fuss when she chooses the toy over your hand or sleeve. Our girl has to have something in her mouth when she greets us or is excited (classic spaniel) so we always try to choose what goes in there first before she does!

Another thing I do with Ivy when she's having a mouthy moment is give her an old cardboard box or packaging to shred. I make sure she sits first, then I use 'take' to give it to her so she knows she's allowed to grab it in her mouth. I keep an eye on her at first to make sure she's not trying to eat it, but 9/10 she just shreds it and walks away leaving me to clear up the mess!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 11:22:07 AM »
My very soon to be 7 months old girl is also very mouthy and always has been.  When she was small, we were desperate for her to lose her sharp puppy teeth as we thought her behaviour would stop - no it didn’t, the small puppy teeth were replaced by very big adult teeth that hurt much more  >:D.   Her teeth are absolutely huge at the moment but I guess her face just needs to get bigger  :005:
Luckily she adores antlers but gets through them at an alarming rate and they are not cheap.  I always get the large ones and choose them myself as I have worked out which satisfy her the most.  She likes to get the inside of them out  :005:
When she is getting practically mouthy with us ( gnawing on our knuckles or pulling sleeves), I can’t put her in another room or leave her (cos I know she will be up to mischief) so I put her lead on her and put the handle over the door knob and completely ignore her.    This ‘time out’ helps her to calm down and when she is unclipped she is much nicer.  Often just 1 minute away from us is all it takes.
Maisie has been a VERY challenging puppy.  I have had lots of puppies in my time, even 2 litter sisters together but Maisie has been by far the worst.   There are often moments in the day when  I don’t like her very much (which I then feel bad about) but I KNOW it will get better  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Cathymac

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:11:37 PM »
Aw thanks guys! I have just ordered a coffee tree wood chew.
Good to know it's normal!