Author Topic: Puppy pulling on lead  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Re: Puppy pulling on lead
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 08:07:39 AM »
I have got Salty up to a similar standard as you describe in your last post - and am ecstatic about it
He is 3 now tho .... :005:
I use an extendable lead so he can run around more on the way out and then he comes by my side on the way back, without any call and trots along on a loose lead with a pine cone in his mouth looking very pleased with himself
The extendable lead means I can also make it very short which helps if he spots a bird (or anything else) and tries to pull.
I think I am winning but am not sure

Offline Stiilez

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 09:55:26 AM »
Hi,
Newbie here, We have used this great forum as a knowledge base for the last couple of months, and the great thing is, that any issues, there’s always loads who have had the same problem, it makes you feel like it’s not just us!
our female working cocker, Poppy is purely a family pet, she’s 19 weeks old, and we’ve nearly finished her initial training.
The training is not specific to cockers and whilst we’ve persevered with the training method for walking, and it’s shown a slight improvement over time, I was thinking of getting some more focused walking training when this finished.
Anyway, the method we are learning is based on loose lead, but stopping when she pulls, plus some training in getting Poppy to our side rather than in front and getting her to focus on us and our change of direction.
Anyway our trainer recommended using a harness, so  I brought a no pull harness and after using if for the last 3 days we have seen a rapid improvement. We use the front (no pull connection) and it has completely stopped the lurches forward where she pulls on the lead and hangs with 2 front paws in the air, we still get a bit of side to side, but she seems to walk happily at my side for most of the walk now, I used to hate when she pulled so hard she would start breathing heavily. I don’t know wether this is a fluke and she was improving slightly already, but the walks are a lot less stressful now, probably for both of us!

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »
My girl has just gone into season and it doesn't seem fair to keep heeling her on a slip for the next 3 weeks so I've bought her a perfect fit harness. I'll give the front attachment a go as you recommend Stiilez and see how we get on.

I've been having a bit of a dilemma over whether to walk her or not as not fair on the local intact males, but I think one short walk a day at quiet times might be ok as long as she's never off lead and I pick her up if a male does approach so they don't get a chance to get a good sniff of her. She's already winding up our neighbour's lab who was whining at her through the (secure!) fence, poor thing!

Offline Stiilez

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 09:08:47 PM »
Interested to know how you got on Sophie?
We are several weeks in and it’s still going pretty well. I am going to continue lead training though to try to continue improvement

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 10:57:22 AM »
Glad to hear it's going well for you :lol2:

It's really taken the edge off for us and has come at the right time as I've strained my right wrist and can't have any pressure on it from a naughty pup pulling for the next few weeks! I'm also able to hold the lead loosely in my left hand (with her still on the left) using the front attachment and she trots along happily.

It's been nice to have some more causal strolls where I'm not stopping every 2 seconds or carrying as many stinky sprats! I've also found she's not been as reactive to birds as she is on the slip, which is interesting! Maybe she feels more relaxed or she's sensing I'm more relaxed not in training mode.

I think you're right about continuing to lead train at the same time as using it as I can see it not being as effective or pull-proof for determined pullers.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 12:03:23 PM »
My girl has just gone into season and it doesn't seem fair to keep heeling her on a slip for the next 3 weeks so I've bought her a perfect fit harness. I'll give the front attachment a go as you recommend Stiilez and see how we get on.

I've been having a bit of a dilemma over whether to walk her or not as not fair on the local intact males, but I think one short walk a day at quiet times might be ok as long as she's never off lead and I pick her up if a male does approach so they don't get a chance to get a good sniff of her. She's already winding up our neighbour's lab who was whining at her through the (secure!) fence, poor thing!

When Ash came into season I walked her once a day and let her off lead but this was up a country lane and no other dogs / houses around

I also made sure I drove from the house so as not to leave a scent trail back to the house

Ash then had her spay and I put her on a harness and flexi lead so she could have a bit of freedom for the 2 weeks she wasn’t allowed off lead

Boy we had to go back to basics with lead walking when I put her back on the slip lead and 2 weeks now with being intense any time she is on lead (not letting my mind wander to anything else but concentrating on Ash) we have seen a vast improvement - but still a nightmare when she sees her best buddy so having to work on heel work with my friend and her dog now - thankfully the friend is fab and doesn’t mind the slow stop start walk to the fields

Best of luck with the season 🥰