Author Topic: Muzzle  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Firestorm

Muzzle
« on: April 29, 2022, 06:47:44 PM »
Max is just over 8 months and loved being off lead and has good recall until he has something in his mouth he shouldn’t. Then he will run round eating whatever he has picked up which usually is grass, grass sods earth, animal poo or small twigs all which come out the other end. But what is concerning me is he will eat something that may cause serious harm by a blockage. His latest today was what we think was a discarded empty black poo bag but as it disappeared so quick before we could get to him we are not sure. We don’t want to restrict him to being on lead all the time the only thing we can think of to keep him safe whilst off lead is some form of muzzle. But looking at the reviews for them they do not appear to be very good. Has anyone else experienced this with their CS and used some form of a muzzle that worked.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Muzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »
I have not used a muzzle on my dogs but I do know a cocker spaniel that wears one.  When he was young, he ate something he shouldn’t which resulted in a very expensive vet procedure and they nearly lost him.  He now wears a basket type muzzle to prevent a re occurrence. Wearing the muzzle doesn’t seem to bother him at all.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Muzzle
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 04:31:54 PM »
Branston (age 8 years) wears a basketville muzzle when he is out - he too picks up anything he can without it on - as well as blockages I am concerned he will pick up something that will poison him .  Altho I know he is not keen, it means less of a stressful walk for both of us, as he can run around with it on.

He is the golden one that you can see in my avatar, and he wears a No. 6 muzzle, but for best fit if possible take your little one to a pet shop/outlet and try one on for size (maybe a size 3 to start with depending on the length and breadth of his nose. It needs to fit snuggly but not tight.

If you look in the Behaviour and Training section - there is a thread started by Andy B entitled 'scavaging' where muzzles are discussed as well.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.