Author Topic: 1st time double trouble owner  (Read 1649 times)

Offline vgstar44

1st time double trouble owner
« on: November 01, 2022, 02:56:04 PM »
Hello everyone! I have a 14th month golden girl and on Sunday we unexpectedly took on a wee blue roan boy who's 12 weeks. I lost my 12 year old blue roan last July so this is the first time I have had 2 dogs together. 1st couple days were absolutely manic. My golden girl would not leave the pup alone and he could not get peace from her at all. We have never used a crate ( simply due to the storage aspect) but had a playpen so was giving the little one time out so he can rest in peace. Its getting much calmer day by day and it's brilliant seeing the 2 of them bond and play fight. I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice or tips for continuing with the positive experience. I'm trying to allow them time together but have had to separate at times to facilitate some training for both individually as the wee one is easily distracted by the bigger one. Was just wondering if anyone could offer experiences or things they wish they done different when having 2 young dogs together?

Thanks in advance

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: 1st time double trouble owner
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 04:09:00 PM »
Congratulations on your new addition
I have a female 15 months old and a boy 6 months old so they are just 9 months apart. I made sure that the older girl (who was an only child   :005: ) got lots of individual attention and they went on separate walks when Ned was old enough to go out.  I felt the separate walks were important as Ned being a young puppy had different requirements exercise wise than Maisie.  His outings were more to do with experiences and socialization than exercise.
They do get on well but it is definitely on Maisie’s terms  ;). Ned loves Maisie but Maisie only loves Maisie  :005:  I have just started to take them out together but only on short walks of 30 minutes so as not to over exercise Ned.  We still have separate walks though as I felt they are individuals and don’t always want the other along.  Good luck with the two.  I love having two dogs and my two have very very different characters.  Maisie is feisty and has attitude whilst Ned is a kind, gentle, sensitive chilled boy.  It is lovely to see them together, cuddling together on the sofa - well Maisie allowing Ned to cuddle up to her  :005:
You probably do this already, but I feed on opposite sides of the kitchen.   When Ned was having four meals a day, I also gave Maisie four (splitting her usual feed into smaller portions) just so she wouldn’t feel left out. 
Previously I had two litter sisters and at the beginning I used to take them out separately but Marley was very reliant on her sister and would scream the house down if left alone.  I caved in and never left her on her own.  I made a rod for my own back, as later when Stevie needed to go to the vets or anywhere on her own,  I had to take Marley too as she simply couldn’t be left.  I learnt my lesson  and now the current two dogs are left on their own in their crates when I take the other one out as I feel it is important that they can be left alone and not reliant on the other one.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline vgstar44

Re: 1st time double trouble owner
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 07:05:42 PM »
Awww thank you for your reply! Yeah it sounds similar to us in terms of the different characters.. My golden girl is absolutely nuts too..the wee man is so chilled. Even the vet said today he is so calm... Poppy pesters the wee one to play and if he's playing with a toy she has to be involved but heaven forbid he tries to disturb her when she's doing something she wants to do! It's been amazing so far and I always wanted to have another dog but never got round to it last time round. Sounds like I'm on the right track with the feeding as you mentioned as I didn't want poppy feeling left out only getting fed twice when wee Cooper was being fed 3 times so she got her usual spread out. The only thing he needs to learn is to try eat his treats a bit quicker as the madam finished her pizzle then he left it for a second and she gobbled his too! 😂😂

I think the idea of letting them not rely on each other is fab. Cooper wakes up when I leave the room and has a little whine so I'm going to try extend his alone time in a few days once he's a bit further settled in with us..I don't want him being too reliant on me or poppy as nice as it is to feel loved by your furry babies. My sisters sprocker has severe separation anxiety and its always in the back of my mind to try promote independence as soon as possible. Its so traumatic for the dog and owners It absolutely terrifies me!

Defo been a fantastic experience so far.. Long may it continue 🙏🙏🙏🙏