Author Topic: Whats in your Crate  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Pepsi Hawks

Whats in your Crate
« on: February 15, 2023, 08:16:36 PM »
Hi guys
Just wandering if you leave anything in your crate or if you put a bed or similar in ?
Not sure if we should be putting a fabric bed in as I've noticed she has nibbled at the edges ( she is a chewer when out so we alway supervise when using fabric toys as they only last 5mins ) but the other half is adement that she should have a nice cosy blanket but not sure I trust her not to eat the bliming thing  >:(

Offline russ-g

Re: Whats in your Crate
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 10:37:11 AM »
Hiya,

It depends how old. In the first couple of months I only put towels and newspaper in because of the accidents.

Once toilet training was sorted I experimented with thicker blankets but eventually settled on a vetbed. It's nice and thick and machine washable.

Stanley still has the vetbed now at 8 months old and I have no plans to change it. He did have a blanket in there with him as well, but I've recently removed it because he's been chewing it. The vetbed is harder to chew.

Hope that helps :)

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 04:11:49 PM »
I put vet bed in my pup's crate and added a crate liner/bed underneath now she's older and less of a fabric destroyer. She used to chew everything and anything fabric, including the cats bed (just in case he needed another reason to want her out!) But funnily enough, vet beds only got a light chewing. I suspect as Russ said, they're just harder to chew through.

They wick away moisture too so a lifesaver with any crate toilet training accidents.

I would be a bit careful with blankets and a young pup if you have a chew monster like mine, but don't worry - you will be able to trust them in time. My girl sleeps on a fleece blanket over a sofa now, often with a couple of cushions scattered around her. Unimaginable to me when I caught her ripping my floor runner to shreds at 18 weeks...!

Offline Pepsi Hawks

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 08:43:18 PM »
Thanks guys yea she loves to chew we have got a vet bed although not put it in yet always reassuring that it's not just us. So many highs and lows with puppy's  :D

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 09:20:49 PM »
My boy Ned now 10 months has always been a chewer.  Any piece of fabric or tissue acts as a comfort blanket for him, which is strange in itself as he has always been a chilled, laid back boy. Just yesterday I threw his bed away as it had umpteen repairs in it and he had pulled so much stuffing out.  I have to shut the door of my older girl’s crate otherwise he goes in there and tries to chew her bed.  SHe has the same bed she did as an 8 week old and still in good condition (apart from the places where Ned has tried to chew).    All that is left in Ned’s crate now is vetbed and the original cushion from his old bed.  I would love to get him another soft bed as the vetbed doesn’t look as comfy and in the morning he has rucked it all up as well. It is strange though that he goes to bed with his toy pheasant that he had as a 8 week old and that remains untouched. 
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 11:05:35 AM »
It is strange though that he goes to bed with his toy pheasant that he had as a 8 week old and that remains untouched. 

Sweet boy! Same with Ivy - the 'litter puppy' soft toy we took home from the breeder at 8 weeks is still intact and the only soft toy that hasn't had it's ears/limbs/tails chewed off and stuffing thrown around the living room.

They must be very precious to them :luv:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 11:24:48 AM »
Gemma has a old bed. Not much stuffing left in it but  plenty of life  in it yet  :lol2:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 04:44:37 PM »

Sweet boy! Same with Ivy - the 'litter puppy' soft toy we took home from the breeder at 8 weeks is still intact and the only soft toy that hasn't had it's ears/limbs/tails chewed off and stuffing thrown around the living room.

They must be very precious to them :luv:

It is strange but incredibly sweet too.   My older girl Maisie (just a little bit older than your Ivy) also still has the small pheasant which came home with her from the breeder and a little rabbit that was a gift from a friend.  She snatches both off me every night as she gets in her crate  :luv: :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Pepsi Hawks

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 04:32:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone we have a vet bed on standby, we don't put and soft toys in with her anymore as she just destroys them  >:( we do put some treats in a indestructible in her crate and they have lasted a fair few months now (we do inspect them every time) not sure why she nibbles on the edge of her blanket I do wander if it's a comfort thing.

Offline russ-g

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 08:14:45 AM »
The vetbed is harder to chew.

I take this back. Stanley has been systematically eating his vetbed for the last couple of weeks. So far no negative side effects as a result!

Offline Pepsi Hawks

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 07:24:30 PM »
Oh dear @russ-g they do like to test us it seems so strange how they are fine with something for weeks/months then all of a sudden they get a taste for something  :huh: