Author Topic: Safe Puppy Toy recommendations  (Read 2388 times)

Offline JulieR

Safe Puppy Toy recommendations
« on: June 30, 2023, 07:29:28 AM »
My new little lady is 13 weeks old and settling in with us nicely, Ive bought her a selection of toys from a pet chain store including a nobbly plastic ball on a rope which she loves, but within hours of giving her it I’ve  been finding little  bits of it on the floor and this morning there were a couple of tiny bits of it in her poo! Obviously it’s now in the bin which is very annoying as these things aren’t cheap.

I know puppies are voracious chewers but I really don’t like the idea plastic going through her system, she’s got a kong which my other dog used to chew and it’s still in good condition but can anyone recommend other things  to buy for her that are safe please?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Safe Puppy Toy recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 08:48:01 AM »
Well from one Julie to another - been there and sadly at 9 months the chewing anything to bits still is ongoing >:D

I was just like you and I was told by another cocker puppy owner at a puppy play group of  Nylabone Puppy Chew Teething Keys they are on Amazon and in Pets at Home, bought some and today months later they are the only thing still going but a wee bit chewed. 

Also look at Kong they have some good things - have a treat cone that actually is over 15 years old and still works for Harry today, stick puppy treats inside also they do a small blue tyre ring which I nearly got.

Not sure what size I got of the keys as understand come in 2 sizes -but just measured them and from top ring to bottom of key is 8.5cm.  Just to add all these things need supervising and the only thing that might not is the cone - as it can keep them occupied for a good few minutes.  Oh forgot the lick mat...that was new to me put spread with some pure smooth peanut butter and I did keep him busy for a wee while - however my monster has attacked the corner now.

Hope this helps

Julie and Harry Hooligan
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 09:11:41 AM »
I bought Dylan some soft toys from a charity shop. I imagine children’s toys are regulated to be safe. I made sure eyes were stitched and not beads that could come off. They only cost about 50p each so it didn't matter if they got destroyed. Actually he is not a destructive dog, and still has the toys eight years later!
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 09:32:10 AM »
I have a six month pooch and the Nylabone gentle teething toys were a good buy, The really small gentle ones are only for baby teeth, I would advise not to use them once the adult teeth start coming through. I did buy some Rosewood teething toys but found these easily chewed even at an early stage & didn't last long at all.

I would agree about the Nylabone Keys - really tough and long lasting.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 05:26:31 PM »
Just to say that Mudmagnets has a point - I was told that Nylabone are made for different age groups as the texture is softer for puppies and it has age recommendations on products so as to guide you.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 09:07:02 AM »
Hi Julie,

I had a toy destroyer pup and the only things that lasted were Kongs, Nylabones, Benebones, Boomer balls, and a Tuff lickimat (she ate the corner of a silicone one when my hubby left it in her crate unsupervised...we were finding bright purple silicone bits in her poop for a week!!) All stuffies got ripped to shreds in seconds, even the ones that claimed to be 'puppy proof' or 'extra tough'! The only exception was the stuffy the breeder gave us and it's still treated like it's very precious to her.

She also managed to chew the K9 connectables that were recommended by a trainer as being indestructable...! 

If we wanted to give her something to destroy that wasn't going to cause her any harm, we gave her loo roll inners or hemp rope toys (that she liked to pull individual threads from and scatter about the room). And then spent the next 20mins picking up all of the bits :005:

Good luck with your little one  :luv:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 09:47:03 AM »
Gemma  :luv:  never destroyed anything.  A few soft toys " exploded " but nothing harmful.  She was content with knotted socks to fling around.   Whether it was because she was a working girl and retrieved birds ( well small ones ) 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----