Author Topic: Young Pup And Established Cats?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Young Pup And Established Cats?
« on: September 11, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »
I've looked through this site as I'm finding it all quite hard at the mo but I haven't found anyone mentioning a problem with cats.  We have two lovely girl cats who have been the focus of our attention.  Since Ben arrived (two weeks ago) they won't come in the house unless I carry them in while my daughter hangs onto Ben (unless he's asleep).  

I've resorted to feeding them upstairs at night with a litter tray on hand.  I then 'smuggle' them out in the morning.  I did try and tempt them in with food when Ben was asleep but he is a food motivated pup and cat food is obviously powerful stuff - the cats just don't want to know and one of them is losing loads of weight.

I had hoped that there would be a confrontation, with Ben being dealt a cat slap to tell him that they shouldn't be chased or barked at - but no luck yet.

Can anyone offer advice?

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »
When I got Sophie in February she was 5yrs old, but had never seen cats at close range before!  :P

I have a 13yr old cat who, due to her age, I didn't want to be terrorised, hence the reason I went for an older dog rather than a pup  ;)

Sophie ran into my bedroom on arrival at the house and the cat was sleeping on my bed - there was an initial bark from Sophie, a sort of "what is that!?" type bark, then the cat hissed and that was that!

Pretty much the exact same thing happened last weekend when we had 8mth old Beau to stay - he had never seen a cat, but had it sorted in his mind by day 2.

So, I've really had no problems.  But, my cat is a house cat, as we used to live on the 3rd floor of a block of flats so the cat never went out - so that has probably made it easier as I don't have to worry about her going out and not wanting to come back in!  :P

Also, my cat prefers dogs to other cats - but I have always said she is weird!  :D
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
Difficult ... my cats are confident so were happy to offer swipe to him pretty quick, but that said, when our lab arrived they did stay out of the house for a few days (she was 4 at the time).

I think, I'd be inclined to force them to meet, by putting your pup in his crate, waiting for him to sleep, and then bringing your cats into the room, putting them down, closing doors, windows etc. and just leaving them to observe.  10 minutes at first, then 20 minutes etc. and hope that eventually they'd start to realise that the pup wasn't going to actually hurt them.  

Or, if the pup gets really wound up at seeing the cats and is barking etc. then i'd put him on a lead and have some food to distract him from the cats, and I'd ignore the cats.  Just make sure the cats have somewhere they can jump up to feel a bit safer, and make sure that your pup can't actually chase them (for their sake, not his).

Herbie loves his food and will now happily sit in line along with the cats and my other dog to take his turn at having a piece of sausage or whatever.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 09:23:21 PM »
My cats have the choice of the house or the garden but nearly always chose to be in during the evening as we play with them.  We have had a dog in visiting before and they just glared in through the french window.  When the dog had gone they came in slowly, sniffing around before settling down.  This time they know he's here all the time and will not come in at all.  I worry about them as the weather will get worse soon and I can't bear the thought of them hunched outside in the cold and rain.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 09:26:13 PM »
I think, I'd be inclined to force them to meet, by putting your pup in his crate, waiting for him to sleep, and then bringing your cats into the room, putting them down, closing doors, windows etc. and just leaving them to observe.  10 minutes at first, then 20 minutes etc. and hope that eventually they'd start to realise that the pup wasn't going to actually hurt them. 

[snapback]145400[/snapback]

Thanks for that, I'll try it.  I have brought them in when he's asleep in his crate, but they just take one long look and then rush out the door.  I'll try closing the door on them next time.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »
In my house the dogs aren't allowed upstairs at all. his works well especially when I also sometimes have foster dogs in. The cats love it and are quite contented as they have the run of upstairs, where they are also fed (litter tray is upstairs as well). I just left mine to it as the cats were here 1st, from day my 1st pup couldn't go anywhere other than the ground floor and garden so the cats had their escape upstairs if they wished and then they just come down when they felt like it (at 1st when Ruby was asleep, they'd just come down and investigate her sleeping in the crate) so after a couple of weeks everything was fine and settled.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 09:37:25 PM »
hi
  do you have an old table you could place under a window indoors where you could put their food?then all you have to do is feed the cats something special for a few days(tuna or salmon would work well as they are strong smelling)leave the window open a little for them to have an escape route if needs be.the cats have got to learn to live with your dog.if you start sneaking them abut the house both the cats and the dog will think that they should not come into contact with each other and will never learn to co exist.i know with the older ones its difficult but my oldest cat is nearly 15 and he is now fine with our puppy in fact they were playing chase with each other just a couple of days ago.
  i'm sure the cats will get the idea sooner or later and in a few weeks time they will all prob be best of friends :lol:

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 09:46:27 PM »
hi
  do you have an old table you could place under a window indoors where you could put their food?then all you have to do is feed the cats something special for a few days(tuna or salmon would work well as they are strong smelling)leave the window open a little for them to have an escape route if needs be.the cats have got to learn to live with your dog.
[snapback]145408[/snapback]

The only opening window is in the kitchen and has the crate under it!  I'm wondering if the crate should be moved to the living room so that I can try this.  I don't suppose it matters where the crate is, so long as he is asleep in it at night.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 09:53:16 PM »
The only opening window is in the kitchen and has the crate under it!  I'm wondering if the crate should be moved to the living room so that I can try this.  I don't suppose it matters where the crate is, so long as he is asleep in it at night.
[snapback]145412[/snapback]

We put a board over the top of the crate and use it as a table of sorts - how about feeding the cats up there?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 10:24:52 PM »

[/quote]

We put a board over the top of the crate and use it as a table of sorts - how about feeding the cats up there?
[snapback]145414[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll try it and let you know???

Offline Jayne

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 08:31:13 PM »
Quote from: debbie321,Sep 11 2005, 10:24 PM

[snapback]145414[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll try it and let you know???
[snapback]145418[/snapback]
[/quote]

When I brought home my new arrival I already had two cats also, one 14yrs old and one 10yrs old. One is more sociable than the other but she wouldn't go near the puppy for about 6 months, the other is a bit funny anyway and she wouldnt go near her for a year. They both stayed upstairs and wouldnt come down in the evening at all when I was watching television. Now a year on and they do venture downstairs and all tolerate each other so don't despair it will just take time as I say it took my a full 12 months and I never thought they would get on! Now they are fine

love Jayne, Ebony and Coco

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 06:27:31 PM »
A year!  There has been very little progress here except that the little tabby (Rosie) was brave enough to walk through the house to get upstairs even though Ben was asleep by the door.  Trouble was that the door was shut so she meowed and woke Ben and the inevitable happened.  He knows they run and jump when he barks so he does it with glee.

I have tried tempting them in but they just glare - i'm reluctant to shut them all in a room together as i think this would push the cats too far.  II'll just be patient and hope that the cold wet weather forces them in.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 02:11:37 PM »
Bella came into a house with 2 adult cats. The cats stayed in the bedroom solidly for 2 weeks, only coming out when Bella was asleep in her pen and then they'd come and stare at her very warily.

After 2 weeks, the older cat (who can be a bruiser) decided enough was enough, and she came out, walked very gracefully around each and every room, finishing in the kitchen, where she sat in Bella's bed to clean herself (making sure Bella was on the floor paying attention), and then drank from Bella's water bowl. She also decided to lay down some ground rules with Bella and these mean the number one rule is NO CHASING or you'll get a nasty swipe, and number two being "You will submit if I walk past". All of which Bella has heeded and she will not chase Ziggy, or go past her into a room, and frequently submits to her. Now, 7 months on, they kind of get on, Ziggy will go and lie down about a foot from Bella and Bella can usually stay calm enough to stay where she is. She still hurls herself around in what we call her court jester act but Ziggy just hisses at her or ignores her.

Taj is another matter (currently gone missing since Monday night  :( ) as he has never stood up to Bella so she chases him through the house. He has gradually got used to her and he will now come and sit on my lap while Bella's on the floor at my feet, and he basically just stays up high out of the way as much as possible. We are trying to stop the chasing by calling Bella very loudly as SOON as she starts after him, and if she stops and comes back she gets a treat, so this is starting to work.

This has taken 7 months so far so just give it time, make sure you give the cats as much attention as you did before (which can be hard with a young pup, I know), give them nice dinners, and also I think what helped with us was to feed the cats first, in front of Bella (who would lie down and wait for them to finish), so that Bella knew her place in the pecking order was below the cats.  We still do this now and Bella will not even bother looking, she knows what the score is.  <_<

Good luck!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 02:35:04 PM »
When we bought Holly home we had four cats. Three tolerate her and put up with being greeted and bounced on, the fourth won't. She sits in Holly's bed, eats Holly's food and refuses to let her past without the threat of a swipe.

The cats took several months to get to this stage but I just let them get on with it. They were bigger than Holly and were there first. I agree that making too bigger issue of it will just confuse the dog and cats and I'm sure in time they will learn to get along.

Remember cats are like men - the way to their hearts is thro their stomachs!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 02:56:49 PM »
I have been making a big thing of it when i think about it.  The cats have now learnt to scrabble their way up the conservatory roof to climb through the spare room window.  They are fed up there and the litter tray is at the bottom of the stairs.  Ben only has to catch sight of a cat in the garden and he is after her.  

Now it's getting colder i need to shut the window!  so i'll have to think of something else.  I will still feed them upstairs as Ben has a bit of thing about food (any food) but may invest in another stair gate so that they could choose their moments to get through from the hallway.  

Just to think, I went parttime for a more relaxed life - you have to be kidding!!!!!!!