Author Topic: Bitch or Dog as a family pet?  (Read 6773 times)

Offline T

• Site Member
Bitch or Dog as a family pet?
« on: March 30, 2003, 12:47:02 PM »
We're undecided on a bitch or a dog as our new member to the family, that being just 2 adults, but plenty of friends with other dogs (bitch&dog) and children, is there anything anyone can suggest/recommend ?
Thanks in advance.                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 01:15:26 PM »
I'm a dog person myself, having 3 dogs speaks for itself. I find them so loyal friendly and cheeky.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 02:14:02 PM »
For Cockers there's not much to choose between them in temperament and size, activity levels etc.  However, if you think you may have another in the future though - then two bitches can be difficult, more so than two dogs. You could always have a mixed pair but then one would need to be neutered unless you had other ways of keeping them apart when the girl had her season. If you know you are going to stick at one then you don't have to worry about that.

I have boys but have grown up with bitches and my friends have bitches too. It is each to their own.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline T

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 02:28:43 PM »
We're swaying towards a dog now, for no real reason as your comments have raised no concerns!
We've seen a few adult Cocker Spaniels now of both sexes and find the dog's more "fun & frolics" and the bitches more subdued, but both as loving as friendly as we want!
Thx again guys!  :)                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 02:45:49 PM »
rotf @ bitches being subdued...oh help me please!...

Jessie is nto subdued in any way shape or form, tell her to be...pleeeeeeease  ;D                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 04:42:51 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmm ???  Subdued?  Lottie? ???  :-X  No, I don't think so ::)

You'll go with whatever feels right at the time ;)  I had this dilemma and it wasn't until I saw the parents and the pups that our decision was made.  It seemed an easy choice then but prior to that we just couldn't decide ::)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 09:56:03 PM »
I'm biased and have three Boys - never had a Girlie Dog so can't really comment, but I find my Boys all very loving and affectionate, easily trainable and just gorgeous  ;D  ;D

At the end of the day T it is a personal choice, I went for Boys as I did agility and didn't want to have to stop because of seasons and also I Show so didn't want to take time out again because of seasons with bitches and the loss of coat that some have.

Dessie
Boys Rule                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Sue H

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 02:11:02 PM »
We have got one of each, which brings me to my present dilemma  :o  Dratted Barley has come into season  ::)  Bramble is just 6 months old, and quite honestly doesn't seem the slightest bit interested, but we can't risk Barley getting preg now (she's 7+) sooooo Bramble now spends his nights in our room  :-  Some of the time he's on the bed (round our necks/across our legs), some of the time he goes underneath the bed (you can hear his little snores buzzing up through the mattress !) and the rest of the time he actually gets into his own bed which we put in there at night  !  The next couple of weeks will no doubt seem like for ever - teeth marks in the headboard (and not Brambles!)  :-X                    

Offline Louise

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 04:08:42 PM »
I've got a bitch (it was her first birthday at the weekend) and I can't remember my reasons why now but I was adamant when I got her that I wanted a bitch and not a dog.

In hindsight, although I wouldn't swap her for the world now, if I was going to do it again I think I would go for a dog, having to plan holidays and the such like around her seasons, I didn't really think about this at the time.  And if I thought that by getting a bitch I would be spared the embarrasment of my dog trying to hump our guests then that would have been pointless because whenever anyone comes to visit no sooner have they sat down than she tries to hump their leg (I've done the birds and the bees talk with her but it hasn't made any difference)!

Whenever I've met other cockers, be them dogs or bitches, they have always had lovely tempraments and very waggly bums, not a lot of difference in size and always totally and utterly gorgeous.

I think if (or rather when) we increase our family we will go for a dog and get our bitch neutered.                    

Sue H

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 06:25:01 PM »
We plan to get Bramble neutered (but we don't talk about it in front of him!) but Barley's seasons are so erratic that we were hoping that it would all be a done deed before we had to cope with this!  As a dog person, Barley is very sweet and never really leaves our side, whereas Bramble is quite an independent little man - he has his own favourite places in the house, and roves about on walks, although he does come when we call him.  I think it is all down to the individual personality, not necessarily the sex of the dog.  This is all my fault - I had a dream last year that we had another dog and we had called him Daniel the Spaniel, and I told Jeremy, which got us on to wondering whether we should have another one  ;D We had never planned to breed from Barley anyway (leave all that to those who know what they are doing) so saw no harm in having Bramble, who was a blue roan and tan which we really wanted, so just went for it!  Well, it's better than calling him Jarvis, eh  ;D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 06:29:38 PM »
Well, it's better than calling him Jarvis, eh  

About 5 years ago when I started dreaming of the day I would have my two black litter brothers, their names were going to be Joe and Jarvis.....totally cool I thought until I realised it wasn't as original as i had hoped ::)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline maz26uk

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2003, 03:34:10 PM »
hi, well i wanted a dog until I went to choose my pup and then there was no choice it had 2 a bitch!!! :) i no people with both dogs and bitches and i dont think theres much between them and belive me there both MAD puppies but lots of fun and well worth it. enjoy ;)