Author Topic: Toilet training  (Read 1501 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Toilet training
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:26:29 PM »
Glen in 11 weeks old and I know he is just a puppy but somedays he is excellant and other days he is frustrating. On Saturday we didn't have a single accident in the house but on Sunday we would be out in the garden for ages and he would pee as soon as he went back inside. Does anyone have any tips to make toilet training easier as I am not sure if I am doing it right. I know perseverance is the key but I want to make sure Im not the one doing it wrong or he'll never get the hang of it.

Cheers

Theresa
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline julie_white

• Site Member
Re: Toilet training
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 07:06:02 PM »
Just keep going with it is all i can say, we make sure Mojo gets a treat every time she goes outside, but at 17 weeks she still has the odd accident every now and then. My OH's parents have a Jack Russell who didn't stop having accidents until he was nearly a year old.

Julie

Offline rach

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:39:55 PM »
Toby is also 11 weeks old.  It is funny to read of others experiencing the same.  We can spend ages walking around in circles on the patio, willing him to perform (difficult in the early hours/late at night/in a rush for work!) , for him to come in and pee in the warm. ::)  It is encouraging to know that I'm not alone.  We owners of cocker pups should think of each other at 5am!!  We'll just have to be patient, as they are still babies.  Gorgeous though!

Offline lor

• Site Member
  • "Who me?.......With my reputation"
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 09:58:47 PM »
At 15 weeks Amber holds on all night and rushes out first thing in the morning to pee and pooh - great!  But during the day if I don't prompt her to go regularly she will still quite happily pee on the sitting room carpet and occasionally sneak a pooh in somewhere too!! 
I'm hoping she will soon come and "ask" me to be let out instead of me having to pre-empt her all the time!

Offline clairerow

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
Sorry to worry you, but Ozzi is 6 months now & although some days he is excellent & goes on command outside  :angel:, other days he does his business inside no matter how often we let him out  >:D.  I agree that you should give a treat EVERY time (we make a huge fuss and give him a special treat that he doesn't normally get... perhaps save some cheese for these times) and persistance is the key... however it does get VERY frustrating some days!!

Good luck!!

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:28:38 AM »
Paddy is 14 weeks now and like lor can go 9-10 hours through the night or even when he is in his crate through the day.  I don't pet him in the morning and go straight outside and I always say paddy pee pee - he has his brekkie wolfed down and then its paddy pee pee again and he has a number two - but through the day  - we put him out every hour - hour and a half and watch him in between like a hawk and he just goes whereever! - We live in the kitchen mostly now in case he does have an accident - OH is losing is patience and started shouting at him if he pees in the house..  I have caught in most times in the middle and say NO BAD - and take him straight outside

Its weird isn;t it - he can sit, go down, stay, go to bed on command but toilet training ..hmmm >:(

He is going to stay with friends for a couple of days next week as I am away - I just hope he behaves (they wouldn't mind) but they might not pick up on his signals!!  >:D

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 01:46:51 PM »
Zorro's the same - can be fantastic all day and you think he's got the hang of it then you get 4 accidents in a row inside. But Bella was the same, as I remember, good days and bad days - the good days get more common as time goes on but she wasn't 100% until she was about 7 or 8 months really.

Zorro is kinda getting the hang of where to go, which helps - he heads resolutely for the kitchen and we know that he needs a wee then!  :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »
1st relax. He's only 11 weeks old and has a very short concentration span and a small bladder

He will still occasionally pee in the house even if he's been outside a lot just because he hasn't learnt there's a difference yet but in time he'll get there in the end.  You may also find that if you're mooching about in the garden he's not associating that with having to go for a pee yet (even though he may well go while he's out there) as you're probably doing other stuff out there while you're there

I don't worry any more if I have these sorts of days with pups as I know I just need to keep doign what I'm doing --- letting them out at regular intervals through the day and going out with them then praising them when they go. Eventually there will be a 'lightbulb' moment when they pup realises what you want from them.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »
hiya,
my goldie picked up toilet training ever so quickly, by the time she was 13 weeks she has been trained. she is crated at night aswell and touch wood (touches everything around woodlike) we have not had any accidents since.
On the other hand my little Daisey (cocker) just does not have a clue, she is crated at night too, in her own crate i must add, but she piddles and poo's everynight and will just drop and pee where ever and when she needs to go. She has never had a poo accident around the house though so we're half way there. All i can say is thank god i have laminate flooring.
I know she'll get there i just keep a mop and bucket to hand.
I'm not bothered too much, she's a baby and she'll get there.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 11:57:30 AM »
 :D Thanks that makes me feel alot better. We do treat him every time he goes outside but as of yet we were just giving him a wee bit of kibble. Will have to get special treats. What I find really funny is that it has taken him no time at all to suss that if he has gone outside to sit by his food cupboard when he goes back in. Oh well guess I'll just have to keep on freezing my ass off outside as he is definately worth it. I was off work yesterday and he was a great wee nurse. If face washes could heal headaches I'd have been right as rain in no time.  :luv:
Theresa

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:12:51 PM »
Our previous cocker learnt to ask to go out just to come back in and have a treat ::)  Do you use a command word to get him to go?  Our is 'be quick' :005:  Start by saying it whenever he's peeing and reward straight away when he's finished, soon they learn to go on command (usually!)

Millie

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »
We tell him to go be a clever boy and then when he is going we tell him he is a clever boy. Could get confusing though as OH told him he was a clever boy for bringing him the ball last night. Oh well guess its his fault if Glen pee's on his feet :005: :005:

Left him with a friend today as I have to do a whole day in office which happens rarely. Wise cookie bought a new bottle of carpet spray last nioght in prep as she has another dog and cannot contain Glen in kitchen like I am doing if I can't commit full attention to him. Told her to leave the bottle beside the door so I can check how good he's been before I enter just so I can suss the kind of reception Im going to get.  He'll prob be good as gold for her wont he. :angel:

Theresa