Author Topic: off lead  (Read 511 times)

Offline jazzy

• Site Member
off lead
« on: November 11, 2006, 06:13:42 PM »
went for it today and let jasper off his lead, don't know if it was a one off but he was brilliant. Played catch abit then just followed us through the woods. If he went ahead too far we called him back and treated him, after a while he ran a bit ahead then turned to wait for us. Just hope he does this everytime. It made walking a far more enjoyable experience, so those of you still not taken the plunge, go for it.

Offline PennyB

Re: off lead
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:07:22 AM »
went for it today and let jasper off his lead, don't know if it was a one off but he was brilliant. Played catch abit then just followed us through the woods. If he went ahead too far we called him back and treated him, after a while he ran a bit ahead then turned to wait for us. Just hope he does this everytime. It made walking a far more enjoyable experience, so those of you still not taken the plunge, go for it.

Thats the sort of thing to do but don't let them get ahead too far before you call them back as one day it will just be too far --- call them back earlier. Get them to chase you and may be play hide and seek in the woods as well --- occasionally hide behind a tree or bush nearby (often being able to see/know where your pup is).

You need to keep up with the recall as he will get more confident and either not listen or wander further. You need to control walks not all them to control you.

I also find not just walking in the same/one direction works as well --- as they get more confidence they know where you're heading and so will often run on ahead a lot further. I will often change direction throughout my walks so they have to follow me not the other way round
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jazzy

• Site Member
Re: off lead
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »
played hide and seek today, great fun