Author Topic: raiding my washing  (Read 2068 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
raiding my washing
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »
Kinda a silly question for you but should I be concerned about Glen having a tendency to wander round with a stolen sock hanging from his mouth. (why are they never clean ones? he ignores them)  :-\ Up til now he has not tried to chew on it so it has just  :005: me but today someone filled my head with a horror story about a dog who kept eating silly things and having to be operated on regularily to retrievr bits of clothing etc. We take stones etc out of his mouth when he is in the garden as he seems to actually be attempting to chew them and obviously if he tries to chew on something we are wearing we tell him no but I am concerned I may either be giving him mixed signals or putting him in danger.

Sorry Im so clueless  ph34r
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
Re: raiding my washing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:41:56 PM »
Lol
No it is nothing to be worried about at all, you will find from now on that you can find odd socks but never pairs. :005:

I think we found about 15 in Freddy's bed the last time we looked

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »

I definitely would take it off him ;) I too have heard horror stories about dogs eating objects.

Actually, last week I was walking Louie and and gone half way down our street when i looked down to see a dirty sock hanging out of his mouth :005: he hovers around the washer when it's being filled/emptied.

Also, Glen needs to know what he can and cannot have access to :huh:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 06:44:10 PM »
Billy is three and STILL steals socks  :lol: I have to be very careful when putting my washing in as he's very sneeky and can steal a sock in a flash  :lol:

Offline sayaka

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »
Poppy is 9 months and does this all the time. she loves clean and dirty knickers, bras and socks. She will happily steal from my bedroom floor (yes I'm still a messy 20 year old) and also when you're loading or unloading the washing machine.

our old labrador would stick her head in the washing basket and steal underwear. That was just wrong...

Offline gemmaw

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 08:28:19 PM »
My Poppy (8 months) also has a thing about dirty laundry especially socks we even find them in the garden where she has taken them out there :005: Tilly (2 and half) also loves to do this! They don't eat them but enjoy just carrying them in their mouths. These cockers have strange habits :005:
Gemma, Tilly and Poppy dog

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 09:22:44 PM »
It's totally normal - don't worry!! Max is 18mths & still loves pinching socks to carry around & briefly chew/suck before getting bored & either wandering off or hiding them somewhere!!  :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline sarah

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »
I have had a complete nightmare this week, Oscar (10 month old worker) is a total  monkey with stealing socks, laundry etc so have been very careful not to let him near any, but there is a hole in our fence and he has been visiting the neighbours, on Thursday night he was really unwell and produced a whole sock (not one we recognised) he seemed better after this had come up but on Friday morning he was dozy and wouldn't get up very unlike my mad little worker so off to vets another sock found, operation had to be done and was in all weekend and cost almost a thousand pounds

I have been worried silly all weekend, I knew he was a terror and loves bringing us presents when we come in but never thought this could happen  :huh:

But it might just be mine whose a little monster  ph34r

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 10:10:41 PM »
Herbie is a terror for pinching items of laundry.  He doesn't even attempt to eat it but it is his prized possession until he finds something else that takes his fancy - he's really materialistic :005:

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 10:13:52 PM »
Jasper loves to help with the washing - no honestly it is a help because if I leave it long enough it would all be down the garden and the laundry basket empty at least of socks and hankies!

If I don't see him stealing he comes back at a safe distance until I see the sock (etc) hanging tantalisingly out of mouth until I give chase!

And now, joy of joys, he can teach Louie! >:D >:D >:D

From what I hear it is a cocker trait

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Donna_Phil

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »
Yep, Freddie steals any washinf mainly Donna's knickers and my socks but never my boxers ?? Confused little doggy :005:

Mollie does not steal any washing, she may be partial to a sock but only if fred has had it, you know, what one has the other wants !!!!

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 10:58:43 AM »
Thanks guys that was a big help.  ;)

I guess so long as he is not attempting to eat it I should not worry too much.  I am at work today in one pink sock and one purple sock and mismatched underwear  :005: :005: I need to locate his hiding place  >:D

Sarah, hope Oscar is feelin better now, I will keep a close eye on Glen to make sure he is not inhaling them and they are indeed hidden.

Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 12:22:50 PM »
Ohh welcome to my world..... George steals and eats...He has passes in no particulr orders socks dusters glasses cleaning cloths and any other morsel of clothing he can get his chops around. He is very practised at passing them in a few days in fact it's only when he passes it we know he stole it ph34r. He has become like a secret agent on a snatch and grab raid.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 08:11:29 PM »
..........not only washing! Millie stole my hushands cream eclair on sunday and was thoroughly enjoying licking the cream until she got caught :005: :005: The best thing was I then caught my husband 'washing' the eclair under the tap so he could polish it off!!! :rofl1: :rofl1:

Never one to pass up on a goody my husband - even if one of the dogs got there first!!
Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 08:12:45 PM »
Millie stole my hushands cream eclair on sunday and was thoroughly enjoying licking the cream until she got caught :005: :005: The best thing was I then caught my husband 'washing' the eclair under the tap so he could polish it off!!! :rofl1: :rofl1:

OOHHHHH yuk!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: