Author Topic: Travel sick  (Read 11893 times)

Offline bobby

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2002, 07:51:26 AM »
Thanks Michele (sorry for spelling your Name wrong for so long :-[)

I'll get Travella later and give him as it is instructed on the packet and try a short ride.

Do you think that the dose for a child will be ok?

Claire                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2002, 04:44:08 PM »
Thanks Michele (sorry for spelling your Name wrong for so long :-[)

I'll get Travella later and give him as it is instructed on the packet and try a short ride.

Do you think that the dose for a child will be ok?

Claire
Hi Claire, sorry should have said, yes the child dose is what you should give  :D

Don't worry about spelling my name wrong, I've got so used to it now, but it is nice when someone gets it right  ;D                    

Offline bobby

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2002, 07:34:36 PM »
Hi Michele,

Right I have the travella but there is only onr dose and its two tablets every hour for two hours before journey so do i half the dose??

Claire                    

Offline bobby

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 11:43:30 AM »
Hi All

Baileys 8 months old know and yes he's grown out of car sickness.

He tells us when he's needing a walk and even sings till we get to the woods.

What i found was helpful was to put news paper under him and a thick towel over he's head that made him fall a sleep.

Also i think it has something to do with the size of the car as i have a fiesta and my husband has a big 4x4, that high off the ground.                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 01:07:42 PM »

He tells us when he's needing a walk and even sings till we get to the woods.

Brilliant  ;D  Amber sings when we get near to her favourite places too  ;D                    

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Travel sick
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 11:51:15 AM »
Hi

This thread is really interesting as we have never had this problem until we got our springer a few months ago (i breed and show cockers) he is now 7 months old and is always travel sick, we solved the problem for weeks by using Stugeron Travel Sickness Tablets for Humans. Then one day they seemed to stop working. We do not feed him at all before a journey and he is usually sick when the car stops or we come off the motorway! When he is not fed he still drools all the way there and still tries to be sick. Going to try the Travella, and also lots more car jorneys and hope he grows out of it. Anyone any idea how long this could take?  ???                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 05:16:39 PM »
Hi Louise, I guess thats like asking "how long is a piece of string" :- I think its down to the individual and also how often you take them out (I would be inclined to think frequent short journeys would work the best.)
With Neneh I found the Travella stopped the drooling and sickness straight away, it just took time for her to get used to the car. She still is reluctant to get in the car by herself but there's no way now that she'd let me leave her behind and miss out on wherever we're going ;D
Good luck with your Springer :D                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 05:48:40 PM »
But I was told that parti-coloured cockers (esp. blue roans) were much less prone to travel sickness - any thoughts?  ::)

Monty is a great traveller...he loves the car! he's a blue roan!                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Travel sick
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2003, 01:40:30 PM »
My dad had this problem with a springer and he solved it! Basicly he fed the dog in the back of the car for a month! He then started to take the dog for a short drive - a couple of yards to start with before giving the feed in the back. He gradually increaced the distance and the dog was never sick in the car again! Success.

I dont know if this will work on other dogs!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Travel sick
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2003, 10:52:24 PM »
Hi,
According to my herbal book animals prone to travel sickness should be fasted for at least 12 hrs before long journeys. At the time of the travel they should be given balls of thick honey, into which a little powdered ginger has been mixed, pressed down their throats; honey will settle the stomach nerves; or yet a better remedy is to mix tree-barks' flour and powdered ginger into the honey, one small teaspoon of flour and a pinch of ginger to one heaped tablespoon thick honey. Dogs travel best on car floors rather than seats if they are bad travellers.                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.