Author Topic: any suggestions for night time  (Read 1331 times)

Offline denyW

• Site Member
  • Holly/ Amber/ Holly and Amber
any suggestions for night time
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »

Hi,
We are having a little problem, we are hoping thats it's just a settling in problem :shades: but i have a feeling it may not. Amber the new addition is whinning all night although we have another cocker that sleeps in the same room. They both have crates but we have left the doors open for the time being to allow them both to settle with eachother. There hasn't been any problem except for maybe some over exuberence from Holly in playing ,but Amber is more than capable of holding her own and gets her own back when Holly walks away. The main problem is the whinning ,howling and screaming through the night..... when you come down she goes quiet. Now we realise that this is probably or is attention seeking and the best way is to ignore the behaviour but through the night and almost every hour is beginning to take its toll...... We would appreciate any ideas or suggestions to help the situation.
Dee and Steve :shades:

Offline mandy

• Site Member
Re: any suggestions for night time
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
Hi Dee , we had the exact same problems with Piper when we got her,we thought she would be fine because Paige was with her who when we got her was an  :angel: and never made a sound.Piper did the howling and crying and i did try to resist going down to her but then kept thinking about my neighbours.I would not go into her until there was a break in the howling then i would go in pick her up and put her outside for a wee wee which were the only words i would speak to her then put her back to bed.I also let her have a really good play before she went to bed so she was tired and then  would wait for a about an hour and go put her out in the garden again before i would go to bed.She would cry a little bit then settle herself back down again but then i would go down at regular intervals before any howling started.Gradually extended the intervals until i did not have to go down till morning and she was sleeping through it took just over a week and i was shattered.Hope this helps ;)

RIP Toby love and miss you every day xx

1/7/95 to 20/8/2012

Offline denyW

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »

Cheers Mandy will give it a go........if i'm still alive in a week i will post a thread to let u know how it goes........ hopefully there will be progress  :shades:
Dee and Steve.

Offline mandy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:43:49 PM »

Cheers Mandy will give it a go........if i'm still alive in a week i will post a thread to let u know how it goes........ hopefully there will be progress  :shades:
Dee and Steve.

I know exactly how you feel and it is very frustrating but well worth it.How old is your puppy and How long have you your puppy? :D

1/7/95 to 20/8/2012

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »
I'm going through this for the fourth time at the moment!

My suggestions are:

1. For the last hour before bedtime have a really good play session. Now you have to judge this by your own cocker. For mine it has worn them out but for others is winds them up and are hyped up then so experiment.

2.Then out to toilet. Try and wait for both things to happen unless you know they've recently done a poo.

3. Pop them into their crate saying "bedtime" and put a puppy kong in with them. I use a fill half of it with kibble then some tuna and topped with Primula cheese. Shut the door of the crate.

4. Cover the crate with a throw, leave one end open for air circulation.

5. If they cry for longer than a few mins, start to speak to them in a low calm soft voice. I say "Morgan quiet" at which point he usually stops (not because he knows what it means yet (he's 9 wks) but because he's heard my voice. Then I say "good quiet Morgan, what a good boy" over and over unless he starts crying and then I got back to asking him to be quiet.

I've found that does the trick. On his first night he really did scream but he'd done a poo. I waited for him to be quiet, even if he just drew breath and got him out. Never get them out while they are crying, this will make them cry all the more.

Once Morgan is asleep he'll sleep through the night. But Barney, my English Cocker, didn't. He would wake at 5am every morning. We set our alarm clock for just before that to get him up for toileting before he cried. The theory is that you start to move the time on 15 mins at a time every day and the pup learns to wait for you to come. Barney still created when put back, he screamed until we got up later on even if it was 2 hrs. At that time I had him in a crate away from the other dogs (so that he got used to spending time on his own). By the time he was five months old it was still going on so I moved his crate so it was in the same room as the other dogs and that resolved it, and he slept through from the day I moved him.

Morgan's crate is in with the other dogs but he still cries to begin with, so what works for one doesn't automatically work for another. So if one persons advice doesn't work, try another. What I would say is when trying things out try them for a good few days because alto of pups do better with routine so give them time to get into the swing of it.

Good Luck, hope you start getting some sleep soon.

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 03:48:14 PM »
No advice from me, I got an  :angel: with Loki, at night he sleeps thorugh without a problem and has done from his 3rd night home. But I am just posting to wish you luck and hope the advice given works.

Offline rachie250876

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
HI there, I know how you feel....even though it was 10 years ago I can remember our Weimaraner as a puppy ! Gosh did she howl !!
When we got Bill, Amber was nearly 7 years old and still liked to use her crate, so we bought a bigger crate and they both got in together !! Bill never made a muff at night time so we were really lucky.

I agree with the other posts above, only let the pup out when they have either stopped crying or if its that bad, stopped for breath !  Otherwise they think that the barking is getting them what they want. It just takes time, stick to your guns and start as you mean to go on, in a few more days I am sure things will have got better.

Good luck with the new little one.

Rachel and the gang
Our doggie family is :- Amber 11yrs (Weimaraner), Bilbo 4yrs(Collie) and Rosie and Sally(Orange Roan cocker) cocker's belong to mother in law ! although having now experienced life with a cocker I think I may be looking in a couple of years :-)

Offline denyW

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »
Hi All,
well we had a full 3 days with little to no sleep here, but now Amber is beginning to settle a little better. We still have the crying and screaming for a brief 10 or so minutes but I guess she realises that it is not getting her no where now and has settled. Good news too......... Holly goes outside to do her bits... and Amber follows her and does hers too.....its fantastic really . We just got to stop Holly trying to hump the puppy..... think she having a identity crisis.... :005:
Thanks for all your siggestions we did take them all on board and a mixture of them all worked for us, thanks again.  :shades:
Dee and Steve

Offline mandy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »
Really pleased things seem to be getting better keep up the good work ;)

1/7/95 to 20/8/2012

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »
I'm pleased she's beginning to settle now. I'm sure it won't be long before she goes in her grate without being told and with no protest.  ;)

Morgan, my pup, humped Barney the day he came home.  ::) He's not done it since thankfully. Holly will more than likely humping Amber to dominate her. Just to let her know her place. A firm no when she does it and maybe send her to bed might work.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)