Author Topic: I think we have found our puppy!  (Read 14249 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: I think we have found our puppy!
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2007, 09:19:53 PM »
Pam I am sorry, but I don't know how to make them links!  Will have a look and find out for next time.
Sorry again!
 :'(

you just remiove the [ i m g ] bits from the beginning and end of each photo's link ;)

Or if you're on photobucket just copy the top link rather than the bottom one and that posts them as links  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
She is so pretty.

Similar markings to my Jazz.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2007, 09:20:53 PM »
i hope you told the trainer on the walk that it was a Working cocker at that...she may have had kittens on the spot :o

penny, you're an experienced dog owner, you know what you're doing and if she's anything like jarvis than you have a fantastic little dog on your hands (as well as beautiful  :luv:)

....and in my opinion a cocker can sometimes be a lot easier than a springer!!! (it just depends on the individual dog doesn't it?)

helen & jarvis x

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »
Penny, she is fabulous :luv:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »
Although we had our Westie and Yorkie before the dogs we have now, we feel that Suki was our learning curve!  She was a rescue pup who was 10 weeks old when we got her with very little information about her, terrified of the whole world, and we had no way of knowing what horrors she had been through before we got her.
She is now a beautiful if a little nervous, dog who adores the whole family and is a joy to own.
Then we got Josie - her mum was an English Springer and her dad a labrador.  She was a challenge, but at just one year old, she has suddenly realised that if she does things we ask of her she gets FOOD!  She is changing into a really well behaved girl, still exuberant, boisterous, and playful, but the most loving dog and absolutely fearless!
We have no illusions about bringing a new dog of any description into this mixture, but are confident that having lurked on here for almost a year (I just checked on my profile and was shocked to see it has been so long!) we think we are fairly well prepared for Buffy's arrival.  No one can predict how the other 2 will react, but they are usually really gentle with puppies we meet on our walks, and although Suki loves to chase, I know that as her and Josie are such good playmates, they are more likely to carry on playing with each other rather than trying to chase a baby!  Once she is bigger and more able to join in their rough and tumble games, I am sure a cocker will be tough enough to play with them - under supervision!  We never leave the 2 dogs loose and unsupervised because although there is only 3 k between them in weight, Josie is much more solid and Suki is very fragile, so we will just carry on as we do now!
Can't wait! :luv: :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2007, 09:34:19 PM »
The trainer sounds like the person who put 16 months old Deano up for re-homing because they had (quote) " got "bored" with him and decided to replace him with a cocker puppy?"  (See Dog Rescue Pages website)  What chance the cocker pup if they fancy a different breed in the future?

I would have thought that any trainer worth their salt would have done their utmost to overcome the problems before adding to the already too many dogs up for re-homing.

Buffy is gorgeous and I look forward to more pics as she grows up!

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:17 AM »
idiots >:D

Penny you go with your gut instinct if you have already had two rescues you won't have any problems with a cocker puppy working or not because you are obviously prepared to put the effort in to resolve any problems... and thats the best any dog can ask of their owners.

Some people are just mean and some just well meaning... ::)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
but then I would say that, she reminds me of a little Flo ::)
Similar markings to my Jazz.

Ditto - I know I've said this before & that she has worker in her breeding but she does remind me of Domino!! ;)

I would take absolutely no notice of the dog walker; some people just love to be Job's comforters & can't resist giving their twopence worth whether you want their opinion or not! ::) >:(
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
This time next week, Buffy will be home with us! (all being well with Trev after his op that is!)
I just can't wait. I haven't been this excited since I was a kid waiting for Christmas or birthdays.  I think it is because we chose her when she was just 3 weeks old, and have been lucky enough to visit every week since.  It has seemed a long long wait.  I keep getting little worries about things, and then tell myself not to be silly. Adding dog number 2 to a household is much more worrying than dog number 3 so I don't know why I am being so daft.
We got her metal crate, and have made a slight boob - it will do when she is a baby, but I am sure she will outgrow it very quickly!  It is a 30"crate.  We already have a 48" for Josie, and a spare 36" , but thought a 30" would be ideal for Buffy.  I think she will feel very secure and snug as a pup, and then we can progress to the 36" one when she outgrows it.  We are slowly re-organising the dining room so they fit in  :005: :005: Suki doesn't use a crate at all, but her bed is pretty big, so we are now looking for a second hand folding dining room table! :005:  (that is what dining rooms are for after all!)   Then we will have to re-home our current pine dining table, but who cares?  It will be worth it!  (Trev and I often eat on trays in front of the t.v. cos we are very naughty, but the kids always sit at the table) 
Trying out new arrangements in dining room for the weekend, so everyone (human and canine) is used to it by the time Buffy arrives.
7 more nights!
It is weird, but I am finding it easier to cope with the grief of losing mum by giving myself little (and not so little) goals to work towards.   At the moment, it is bringing Buffy home followed by getting to know and training her.
Then we have a holiday booked for the Whitsun school break.  After that we will have another holiday in the summer and lots of shows to go to throughout the season.
Then we have Discover Dogs in November, and will be looking for something else to look forward to before Christmas!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
It is so exciting isn't it! And yes, it will help ease your grieving too.

I think a 30" crate is plenty big enough for sleeping in.

(you're supposed to dine in a dining room? I thought it was for all the stuff you didn't know what else to do with! :005:)

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2007, 09:24:20 PM »
We've stored one of our tables away because it was a wicker type and the dogs loved to tease bites out of it.  They have the conservatory for the moment but it'll be too hot during the summer so in the kitchen (once the chewables are removed)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2007, 10:01:31 PM »
I have been reliably informed you are supposed to eat in a dining room. :005: :005:
We now have 2 dog crates, a sideboard (surrounded by puppy pen so no dogs can get underneath it), a pine welsh dresser, small pine table (covered in junk!), a tumble drier, one large Suki sized dog bed with blankets spilling out onto the ground cos she is a diva and likes her comfort, 5 dining chairs (why 5 when there are only 4 of us??) one doggy toy box with toys spilling out, one computer desk with computer - oh and the dogs lounging across the floor at any given time!  You would never believe our dining room is 12' x 12' would you?  It is a bit of an obstacle course because you have to either climb over dogs and toys, or shove toys  out of the way and walk round dogs to get to anything!!!!!
This weekend, the tumble drier is moving into the downstairs bathroom and 3 of the 5 chairs are going to visit the spare bedroom for a while.  Hopefully this will leave sufficient floor space - very lucky that the kitchen is right off the dining room via an arch - it makes it feel much bigger than it really is  :005:  Also extremely lucky that my husband is as insane as me, and the kids just go along with it as they have never known anything different!

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2007, 10:18:33 PM »
Penny your house sounds fabulous! I can just imagine all the noise and goings on - oh to be a fly on the wall :005:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »
Well, we have just returned from the 2nd hand furniture shop.  We got a folding dining room table for £20
It is only about 18" wide, but when you fold the flaps out it will comfortably seat all 4 of us.  That shoudl give us a bit more room! I have also had to bring down a slightly bigger  box for Buffys toys :005:  Having read threads on here about jealousy, I have been very careful to buy her new things rather than let her share Josie's or Suki's toys.  Trouble is  I have got a bit carried away  :005: and although she is not even here yet, she already has loads.  Trev has banned me from buying her any more for the time being (but he goes into hospital tomorrow, and retail therapy is the ONLY thing in the world that will stop me worrying about him - that's my story and I am sticking to it!) :005:
I had better go and shift those dratted chairs upstairs and get Trev to move the tumble drier - then I will have no choice but to clean the floor (will be a bit of a shock to see what might be behind the tumble drier - there could be a complete family of spiders there for all I know :005: :005:)
Then I will have an afternoon nap - after all, today is the first day of my school holidays too, so I deserve some relaxation (need to get plenty of sleep in just in case Buffy is a howler!)  :005:

Offline Cockerlove

• Site Member
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2007, 03:05:04 PM »
The date's getting nearer, very exciting. It sounds very much like you're ready for her.  :D
Ask not what your cocker can do for you, but ask what you can do for your cocker!!