Author Topic: Trainning Tips  (Read 1211 times)

Offline scoby007

• Site Member
Trainning Tips
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:54:13 AM »
Hi Guys

Our Pup Sam is getting on really well and picking up things really well, I am wondering would anyone have any suggestions or tips for some basic trainning I could do with him.  We are doing the usual Sit, Heal etc but we are new to having cocker spaniels and are wonderin what are they good at learning from a young age??

Any suggestions or ideas guys

Wayne

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Trainning Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:43:05 AM »
They are very quick learners and will pick most things up you care to try with them.

Remember to keep each training session short, puppies have a very short attention span! Make it fun for your pup too and reward your pup with a tit-bit of their favourite treat or a bit of their normal food if they are on kibble and give lots of praise and fuss.

I've actually made a training plan for my 13 week old American Cocker, partly because I now have four dogs and was struggling to remember what I needed to do with who! Unfortunately its on my other PC but here's a bit from memory.

Basic positions: Sit, Down (I use lie for that), Stand

Leave - start with a treat in your clenched fist held in front of the pup. The pup will be sniffing it, give the command Leave or Leave It. To begin with the pup will be sniffing it for a long time but as soon as their nose comes away from your fist praise and give them the treat. Repeat this and you will find the pup gets quicker at stopping and will eventually stop sniffing immediately after you say Leave It. 
Once your pup is leaving as soon as you ask, move on to asking it to sit put its dinner down and ask to leave. It might take some work but aim to get to a point where ask for a sit put the dish down in front of them with a leave command and then once a moments gone by tell them to get it. Build up the length of time you ask them to leave it. Then go on to putting a treat in front of them and asking to leave and so on.

Stay - start by having the pup in a sit or down in front of you. I use a hand signal too, almost like you would put your hand up to stop someone IYSWIM. Put your hand up and say stay. To begin with you want to reward for a moments stay. Build it up gradually, with the hand signal and repeating the command. When you are confident that your pup is understanding what stay means and is staying put for a little while start asking them to stay and taking one step away and straight back again and reward if they haven't moved. If they have put them back where they were and try again. If you are struggling go back to not moving but building up the time you ask them to stay. Move on as you see fit. Eventually aim to move further away for longer, but this is a long term goal.

Recall - another important one. You'll probably find that your pup will come to you when they are very young, so use this opportunity. Lots of praise and reward when they come. Start introducing recalls when they are busy doing something and lots of praise when they come. If you find they aren't coming go up to them and stand right next to them and call them and lure them. Still give praise. Build up the distance and the distraction level.

You said you are working on heel. Also concentrate on loose lead walking, not allowing any pulling. I've used the stop/start method successfully. If they pull you stop immediately. WAIT for them to sit don't ask. To begin with could take 10 or more minutes. When they do say something like OK lets go. They very quickly learn to sit as soon as you stop. Stick to your guns, never ever let them pull. If you don't have time to do this then its perhaps better you wait to walk them to a time that you have time. One walk where you let them pull can set you back a long way. I know, my OH has ruined my hard work on this with Barney.  ::)

Try doing an off lead heel. This might sound a bit advance but this is something we are doing in Morgan's puppy class. Keep their attention and get them to follow you with either their favourite treat or toy in your hand. Chances are they'll get distracted but get their attention back and carry on for a bit. Always end on a high.  ;)

Make sure you are getting them used to being brushed and combed. If you are going to use a grooming table get them used to being on that and being brushed on their aswell as in other circumstances.

You could do some trick training too, some fun for you and your pup. Roll over - ask them to lie take the treat from in front of their nose round to their side, keeping it very close to their body and their nose should follow the treat, take the treat over their body and hopefully they will begin to roll. If they don't tickle near the back leg.
Giving a Paw - I tend to start this by saying paw and then picking up the paw and praising. They quickly work it out. Then you could move on to High Five hold your hand out flat, as you would to do a high five, keep it low to begin with and it will look similar to when you ask for a paw. Build up to raising your hand higher.
Spin/Twirl - move the treat in a circle just above their head.
Beg - with them in a sit raise the treat very slowly above their head. Different pups get this at different rates. Take it slow and stick with it.

Enrol on a good puppy class where you will get taught many invaluable things.

Hope this helps for now. If you'd like the training plan I've done for my pup PM your email address and I'll send you it.  ;)

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
So many things they can learn so it's never too early to start! Crafty Sam gave some good tips  ;)

Just off the top of my head;

retrieving games: you can incorporate commands such as "stay" or "wait, "go find it" if they lose the mark; naming the toy; "leave it", "drop" or whatever name you choose to get them to release the object.. These make for a fun way for puppy to learn practical things, such as giving you the remote back  :005: or if you're too tired to play, you can send them on missions to find specific toys. (Puppy eyesight seems to develop slowly so don't throw very far at first, just a toss)

Stay games: When your puppy learns a little bit of stay, make it fun for him to do this by putting him on a stay and "hiding" a toy, in his sight, then releasing him to "go find it"
Ditto for Hide and Seek. Put puppy on a stay and "hide", then release him to find you. They love these games. When they are very little you or your OH may have to help puppy hold his stay, but they catch on to the game quickly and it gives a point to the stay excercise for them, theres something fun after the stay!

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline lucyjane84

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »
Can i slip in a question here? How do you initiate the down position? I'm a bit confused on that one  :huh:

Offline BabyBear

• Site Member
  • Who's a pretty girl
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »
Hi,

With the down position, what we did with Skye was initiate the sit position and with a treat clenched in your hand hold it low to the floor under her nose and then say down.... You can incorporate a hand signal with your spare hand at the same time.

If she does not lie down then gently coax her by pressing on her back.  Keep saying down and were possible carry out the and signal.

Eventually your dog will get it... Remember be patient and good luck.

Hope this helps
Al, Cath, And not forgetting Skye xxx ;)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
Can i slip in a question here? How do you initiate the down position? I'm a bit confused on that one  :huh:

As Babybear said to start off you get the pup to sit and then with a food lure take it to the floor and their nose should follow the lure and in the process will hopefully lie down. To begin with this may take quite a while, just keep taking the lure to the floor and leave it there for a while if they lose interest take it back to their nose and repeat.
The hand signal for this really comes from the lure as eventually you'll loose the lure and be left with your hand going to the floor with the verbal command. As they get better you'll just be able to use the verbal command.

If you are still struggling then I'd avoid pressing on their back. Another way of doing it is for you to sit on the floor, have one of your knee's bent up so you form an inverted V shape. Have the pup sit right next to you. Take the food lure under the opposite side of your leg and through the inverted V to your pups nose. Slowly take the lure down to the floor bringing back through your leg your pup should follow it. Make sure that your leg is at such a level that your dog will have to lie down to get his nose/face under you leg to get the lure. Does that make sense?
There are a couple of pups on Morgan's class who are struggling with down and with alot of time and perseverance using this method the got it eventually!
Once they're getting the hang of it revert back to method 1 to progress the training. Hope this helps.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

I think this is a really good point with any training --- and also to remember its not a race
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:52:09 PM »

I think this is a really good point with any training --- and also to remember its not a race

Very true, and remember some dogs pick certain things up really quickly where there are other things that they take quite a while to "get". Patience in bucket loads is required with training!  ;)

Offline lucyjane84

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »

As Babybear said to start off you get the pup to sit and then with a food lure take it to the floor and their nose should follow the lure and in the process will hopefully lie down. To begin with this may take quite a while, just keep taking the lure to the floor and leave it there for a while if they lose interest take it back to their nose and repeat.
The hand signal for this really comes from the lure as eventually you'll loose the lure and be left with your hand going to the floor with the verbal command. As they get better you'll just be able to use the verbal command.

If you are still struggling then I'd avoid pressing on their back. Another way of doing it is for you to sit on the floor, have one of your knee's bent up so you form an inverted V shape. Have the pup sit right next to you. Take the food lure under the opposite side of your leg and through the inverted V to your pups nose. Slowly take the lure down to the floor bringing back through your leg your pup should follow it. Make sure that your leg is at such a level that your dog will have to lie down to get his nose/face under you leg to get the lure. Does that make sense?
There are a couple of pups on Morgan's class who are struggling with down and with alot of time and perseverance using this method the got it eventually!
Once they're getting the hang of it revert back to method 1 to progress the training. Hope this helps.

I tried this today - what a great training trip, hopefully if I keep at it he'll get the hang of it!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »

I tried this today - what a great training trip, hopefully if I keep at it he'll get the hang of it!

Glad to be of help!  :D