Author Topic: Short haired cockers  (Read 14185 times)

Offline matt preece

• Site Member
Short haired cockers
« on: March 20, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »
HI everyone i was just wandering if there are such things as short haired cockers.Because our cocker molly is very short haired with no signs of feathering, and due to her colour everybody mistakes her for a basset hound. iShe is 15 weeks old and im hoping she will get some feathering anyway we love her to bits evenif she was bald ihave included a picture of our baby girl
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/mattpreece/PICT0029-1.jpg

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: Short haired cockers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:00:43 AM »
Working cockers tend to have shorter hair than show cockers, although some working cockers can be like wholly mammoths too!!! But no I can't say I've ever heard of a short haired cocker ;)

Do you have your pups pedigree? Maybe that can help to shed some light on the shorter coat ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:05:03 AM »
Is it possible that she could be a cross? She looks very much like a beagle cross to me....  :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:55 AM »
Is it possible that she could be a cross? She looks very much like a beagle cross to me....  :-\

I have to agree ;) :D She is a gorgeous looking wee girl  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Some names from Molly's pedigree, if you were given one could help us, help you ;)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:21:11 AM »
nice looking pup but I wouldn't have said she was a cocker either hubhy said beagle and i didn't show him this post only the picture. The working pups that I went and saw all had a coat of some description and your pups coat looks more like the length my weims was when she was a puppy.  I'd ask about the pedigree as well... did you get a chance to see mum and dad??

You never know she might grow into a coat? no matter what she's a stunning puppy :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »

You never know she might grow into a coat? no matter what she's a stunning puppy :D

agree with tasha, she is a stunning pup....would love to see her pedigree to get to the bottom of it!

it's not so much the coat for me, it's the ears....our liver worker was quite smooth coated until he exploded into a world of fluff at 6 months, but his ears always had a wave  :005:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:14:38 AM »
She is lovely :luv: :luv:  No wonder you love her to bits.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:11 AM »
I would agree that she is not a spaniel, not a pure one anyway. She has a very houndy face and body. She is gorgeous though.  :luv:

I too would be interested in her pedigree and also where you got her from.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »
HI everyone i was just wandering if there are such things as short haired cockers.Because our cocker molly is very short haired with no signs of feathering, and due to her colour everybody mistakes her for a basset hound. iShe is 15 weeks old and im hoping she will get some feathering anyway we love her to bits evenif she was bald ihave included a picture of our baby girl
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/mattpreece/PICT0029-1.jpg

She is lovely Matt but I must admit she looks a bit like a beagle to me. As the others say if you got her pedigree out it might give some idea....

When our dog was a puppy he had an awful lot of fur, however his littermate hardly had any - so it can vary from dog to dog.......

Whereabouts did you buy her from - did the breeders tell you if she was a worker or a show??
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Penel

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »
This is a beagle pup - I got the image from a google search

I have a dreadful feeling that your puppy was swapped - is that a possibility ?  did you get her from reliable sources ?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »
I agree - lovely as she is, this baby does not look like a pure-bred Cocker puppy. Did the breeder she came from have other breeds besides Cockers? I would also be extremely interested in seeing the pedigree. Presumably she is KC reg not registered with one of the "alternatives"? I would get advice from Lancashire Trading Standards (noting from your other posts that Molly came from Morecambe) if, as seems possible, you have not got a pure-bred Cocker pup as you wanted.
Jane

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
This is a beagle pup - I got the image from a google search

I have a dreadful feeling that your puppy was swapped - is that a possibility ?  did you get her from reliable sources ?

the first photos you posted when she was very young (before you bought her home)  she looked very spaniel to me....but the photo's from when she arrived home i'm afraid to me look very beagle  :-\

i'm hoping i'm wrong.

this was the first pic i saw of mattpreece's molly

helen & jarvis x

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:00:07 AM »
I don't think the ears are right for a purebred beagle... my bet would be a beagle x spaniel...  >:(  She also seems to long for a beagle... I am not surprised that people think she is a basset... Do you have a picture of her sideways?
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »

I was just looking at the early photo's and trying to match markings/colouring etc.,there do seem to be some differences :huh:

What sort of tail does she have?

Offline ruby

• Site Member
  • ruby
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 11:15:31 AM »
hi im not sure either she looks alot different from the first picture posted on here,her head has quite a strong domed shape on the first one and seem totally different from the new pic,i agree have a look at the peddigree or even post on here with it im sure someone will be able to work out her breeding and give you peace of mind to get to the bottom of it,i do think she is a sweetie tho :luv: