Author Topic: Short haired cockers  (Read 14225 times)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
Re: Short haired cockers
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
So sorry you're going through all this Matt, Molly is absolutely gorgeous regardless of her breeding! Good luck with getting to the bottom of the situation!

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »
My Glen also gets frequently accused of not being a cocker. Apparently his legs are too long and that makes him look like a Gordon Setter. I have also been told by people that you don't get black and tan cockers. The last person went as far as telling me to get some books on them and I would see she is right. I didn't even dignify that with a response and just walked away.  ::)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »
. If you saw her with her mother then she must at least be part Cocker spaniel and it is great that she has a lovely personality.

just because they saw the pups with a cocker spaniel bitch (even if she was feeding them) doesn't necessarily follow that she was their mother.  I saw some boxer puppies recently, and the "breeder" said that her bitch was their mother.  I know for a fact she was lying, and that this bitch was as much their mother as I am.... I am not easily fooled, but other people would have been unfortunately.

That is unfortunately very common practice used by unscrupulous "breeders" and dealers to make it look right for potential purchasers.

There is one possible defence; it is possible that the mum is cocker spaniel and it is possible in theory that she was mated with another cocker spaniel and then mated unnoticed with a beagle as well. A litter can technically have two dads... However, the fact that the puppy is not registered with the KC but with the Dog Lovers Association (so they went through the trouble of registering the pups, but they weren't bred in a way that they could be KC registered), would make me suspicious too. And should this be the case, the breeder should have noticed the difference fairly soon and informed the new owners with honesty.

I hope you can sort it out; but as you rightly say, Molly is yours and always will be, whatever happens. She is lovely.  :luv:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 10:35:09 AM »
. If you saw her with her mother then she must at least be part Cocker spaniel and it is great that she has a lovely personality.

just because they saw the pups with a cocker spaniel bitch (even if she was feeding them) doesn't necessarily follow that she was their mother.  I saw some boxer puppies recently, and the "breeder" said that her bitch was their mother.  I know for a fact she was lying, and that this bitch was as much their mother as I am.... I am not easily fooled, but other people would have been unfortunately.
I certainly would have been!   :o Barney is the first pedigree that I have ever bought- all my other dogs heve been rescue dogs.
It just wouldn't occur to me that people would go to so much bother in order to dupe people. I guess it's easy for all of us dog lovers to forget that breeding is nothing more than a business to some people- and all businesses are open to abuse!  >:D
I do hope things are sorted out with Molly.

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »

This is Poppy (working cocker) at around 14 weeks, her coat was very smooth and like Ali's Barkley it took along time for the feathers to develop, but her ears always looked spaniel!

One thing is for certain...you do have a beautiful puppy! ;)
Lee & Poppy xx

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
Only just caught up with this - good luck in trying to trace the other puppies  ;)

Just wanted to say that what ever molly's actual breed she is  :luv:  :luv:

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
Well if your puppy is a beagle I think you are a very lucky man, because I have had first hand experience of both breeds.  I grew up with a wonderful beagle called Alfie, who sadly got PTS at the age of 15.5 a few weeks ago.  He was a very stubborn dog and we failed msierably with training as back in those days it was advised that the only way to train was by choke collars and not be rewarding dogs for good behaviour.  Alfie was 100% food driven and so training with treats would have worked well.  He was a very easy going dog - pretty lazy which we were not expecting (but fitted in well to our family) and was always good around children and was overall a great family pet.

Now we have Barney a cocker, and he did get to know Alfie a little before he died and apart from the difference in how they looked they are both is mischevious as each other.

I strongly believe that dogs, like children respond to the environment they are bought up in and I am sure you will have a wonderful life with Molly.

Rachel xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
the pup is lovely. :luv:
just because they saw the pups with a cocker spaniel bitch (even if she was feeding them) doesn't necessarily follow that she was their mother
a long time ago my dads collie had a litter of pups they all died it was tragic. at the same time my mum had a litter of golden retrievers in the vets where she worked whos mum had died. the collie fostered the retrievers without any problems they became big fat and healthy.  now any potential buyers would want to see the pups would see them suckling on a collie which obviously wasnt mum . but if she had been of a similar breed type they might have believed she was mum if they werent informed of the fact the biological mum had died.  thats one way of seeing pups with mum amd mum isnt the mother at all.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 12:34:11 PM »
She deffo looks like a Beagle/Cocker cross to me - I love her, she's beautiful.

I'd be mighty angry with the breeder though, if it does turn out she isn't 100% Cocker - the deception would annoy me.

Either way - she's a gorgeous wee puppy.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2007, 05:37:35 PM »
She is very pretty  :luv: no matter what she may be (or not) but like the others, I'd be upset if I was duped by breeder.

Louie is a mixed show/worker type cocker and looks nothing like mum so even seeing them together I wouldn't be able to say there was any family likeness to link them, out of interest mum is very sleek (half show half worker bred)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/Louie/P9100054a.jpg

Whilst Louie resembles his blue roan dad (all show) - this is Louie but when we collected him I suspected we'd have very little feathering!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/P12101666.jpg

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 06:17:36 PM »
she is very lovely. :luv: :luv: :luv:
I hope that you are able to find out for sure.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
She is very pretty  :luv: no matter what she may be (or not) but like the others, I'd be upset if I was duped by breeder.

Louie is a mixed show/worker type cocker and looks nothing like mum so even seeing them together I wouldn't be able to say there was any family likeness to link them, out of interest mum is very sleek (half show half worker bred)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/Louie/P9100054a.jpg

Whilst Louie resembles his blue roan dad (all show) - this is Louie but when we collected him I suspected we'd have very little feathering!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/P12101666.jpg

Louie looks so like Buddy who is the same mix except his mum is liver roan 1/2 working type.

Click to enlarge

That's the second time I've posted that photo today. Am I going a bit mad?

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »
She deffo looks like a Beagle/Cocker cross to me - I love her, she's beautiful.

Either way - she's a gorgeous wee puppy.

she is gorgeous, but if shes half and half, does this make her a "Cockle" or a "Beaker"?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2007, 08:52:06 PM »
Louie looks so like Buddy who is the same mix except his mum is liver roan 1/2 working type.

Click to enlarge

That's the second time I've posted that photo today. Am I going a bit mad?

I've often thought that, right down to the red rimmed eyes!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
she is gorgeous, but if shes half and half, does this make her a "Cockle" or a "Beaker"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can only laugh at this being the proud owner of a Sprocker by the way  ;)
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus