Author Topic: Short haired cockers  (Read 14250 times)

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
Re: Short haired cockers
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
Sorry to throw this in to the mix but how do you go about insurance for such a dog. If you put down that it is a 100% pure bred cocker and then make some form of expensive claim and it is shown to be a beagle the insurance will not pay out. Hope this never happens but might be worth making sure before stating what breed your gorgeous little puppy is.

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »
Not sure if this will help but charlie is a orange (lemon) and white working cocker (although it was thought at first he was roan, he only has the odd roany patches).

Here are pictures of him tiny and then getting bigger, he has changed a lot and looks like a different puppy now to the earlier pictures.

charlie at 3 weeks old
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/monkeytrees2/DSC00224.jpg

and at 6 weeks...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/monkeytrees2/puppy6weeks.jpg

9 weeks
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/monkeytrees2/charlie9weeks2-1.jpg

and now at 7 months old
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/monkeytrees2/DSC00369.jpg

Charlie until recently has had very short hair, it now getting longer and he has some feathering on him now.
His ears had short hair on them until about 8 weeks old.

Looking at molly not only the ears would make me wonder but on this pic http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/mattpreece/PICT0018.jpg
it looks like molly has the shorter legs and the body shape but whatever she is she is really beautiful  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
and now at 7 months old
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/monkeytrees2/DSC00369.jpg

I'm really sorry but I was  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: at this picture as I looked quickly and thought ' Blimey that's my niece'  Suppose I'd better not tell her that she looks like a cocker spaniel  :005:

Charlie is  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 01:35:01 PM »
I just wanted to add to comments already made.  Although you saw the mother and have been informed that the father is a cocker, this really doesn't mean much.  There is a man in our area who sells so called cocker spaniels and shows you the parents - both cockers.  In reality he is getting puppies brought over from Ireland with no idea of the parentage and passing them off as pups from his 2 cockers.  If they really were the parents, these two cockers have been very busy and have produced hundreds of pups in the last couple of years!!!!

So I wouldn't neccessarily believe that the mother you saw was the actual mother, or the father the actual father - some people are in the business to make money!!

That said, I don't want to seem too negative.  They may be genuine.  Either way, I think your pup is a cutie and I know you'll love her either way

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
Goodness me !  This is a really interesting thread.  The moment I saw the photo I said Beagle.  The puppy photo doesnt really resemble the pup that you have but as others have said still beautiful  :luv:

What I was going to say is, I wonder what happened to the pup in the first photo ?

Have you ever made an unannounced visit to the breeder ?  Do you know anybody else that has used them ?

To the experts  - would the kennel club be at all interested in this story ?

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2007, 02:36:38 PM »
Sorry to throw this in to the mix but how do you go about insurance for such a dog. If you put down that it is a 100% pure bred cocker and then make some form of expensive claim and it is shown to be a beagle the insurance will not pay out. Hope this never happens but might be worth making sure before stating what breed your gorgeous little puppy is.

Surely you do not necessarily ahve to specify the breed - i am sure there are many mixed dogs out there which are insured....  in fact is it not the case that insurance is lower for non-pedigree dogs.....?
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2007, 03:47:01 PM »
To the experts  - would the kennel club be at all interested in this story ?

No, sadly Molly isn't registered with the KC so they have no jurisdiction over her breeder.
Jane

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2007, 03:50:12 PM »

Surely you do not necessarily ahve to specify the breed - i am sure there are many mixed dogs out there which are insured....  in fact is it not the case that insurance is lower for non-pedigree dogs.....?

Correct, but the question here would be whether Molly is a pedigree or not... she doesn't look like a pure cocker nor like a pure beagle, yet her "pedigree" says she is a pure cocker... So the question would be whether she would be insured as a pedigree (which doesn't mean registered, but simply a pure breed) or as a crossbreed...

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »
plus if you register a dog as a cross breed you get cheaper insurance if they are a pure bred dog then you are penalised by the problems of the breed that can raise the cost so for cockers that would be eye problems as an example, some insurers have restrictions against certain health issues.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2007, 10:02:17 AM »
I am wondering whether there is any more news on this little girl and whether anything more has been found out about the breeder?
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline ruby

• Site Member
  • ruby
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
me too,did you manage to get any further to finding anything out? :-\

Offline matt preece

• Site Member
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
hi everyone i have been in touch with trading standards and they would be interested if i can trace the other pups, which i am trying to do with adverts in local press. they will not do anything until molly is 6 months old, they have not had any complaints about this breeder before,but they have heard of similar cases.i also phoned the dog lovers and enquired with them as to mollys pedigree and they assure me she is,but like everyones said they are not really worth the paper its printed on.so i will carry on loving molly regardless she as changed our lives for the better and warrents a loving home which she gets i will keep everyone uptodate with any progress once again thanks to everyone for there concern and help matt,angela and molly

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
so i will carry on loving molly regardless

absolutely........   :luv:  :luv:
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2007, 09:49:36 PM »
so i will carry on loving molly regardless

absolutely........   :luv:  :luv:

Couldn't agree more, shes adorable :luv:

Offline harleys mum

• Site Member
  • Harley & Rio....butter wouldn't melt!