Author Topic: Colouring changing as she grows  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Colouring changing as she grows
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:12:27 PM »
Buffy's mum was a black and white working cocker and her dad a blue roan show cocker.  As she gets older she seems to be getting more "freckles" on her legs and also a few on her back.
Last week we met a 5 month old beauty whose "mum" told me that she looked just like Buffy at Buffy's age - but this beauty looked to me just like a blue roan!
I looked on a website which shows "light roans and dark roans" so understand some are not as black and grey as others (I know this probably isn't the correct terminology but don't know how else to explain myself!)
I am now a bit confused.  Is Buffy likely to get more speckles on her back and eventually become more roaney, or was this lady mistaken about how much white her pup used to have?
It obviously doesn't matter in the slightest because Buffy is adorable whether she turns out to be light blue roan, dark blue roan,  :005:black and white or sky blue pink with purple dots on  :005:, but I was just curious.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Colouring changing as she grows
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 11:18:56 PM »
Look at the pads of her feet, Penny. If they are totally black, then Buffy is a roan - if she still has some pink on her pads, then she's black & white ticked. That's usually the best guide in differentiating between a roan and an "and white" puppy.

PS I thought both Buffy's parents were Working Cockers from the pedigree you posted a while ago. I remember that I couldn't see any show type names anyway. Not that it matters of course :D
Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »
Alfie is a light blue roan and was very light when we first got him, his sides and back were mostly white with black flecks and as he got older they began to merge to look more roany rather than just spotty and he also developed a dark roan stripe down his back. He has kept the dark black spots on his legs and paws though which is good cos I  :luv: them! His paw pads are black.

He went from this...

to this...

He looks a bit ungroomed in those last two  ph34r  but I took it a while back to show his colouring to someone else.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:43:43 AM »
Didn't the breeder tell you what colour Buffy was??

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Her pads are almost all black but have little pink bits on them, so I guess she won't be roan then! :005: On her Dads side she has got workers as well as on her mums.  Maybe I misunderstood and just thought dad was show type cos he looked like it.  It didn't really get discussed in detail with the breeder cos once we were happy with the breeder on the phone and then met and fell in love with Buffy, it didn't come up again! :005:
Her dad is related to FT Ch Mallowdale Rackatear - in fact looking at her papers now you are right there are loads of FT Champs.
Oh well, we still love our little rascal and maybe that's why she is so intelligent?
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
Ive got a young blue roan and he is very "black" in palces with a white dot on his head (my son recons its where a pigeon got him) and a whiten tip to his tail. I think your pup is a fabulous colour I love his head as well. Whistler has bigger ears black and curly, as this is my first cocker do they vary so much in colour?

Thanks

Viv