Author Topic: Evening primrose  (Read 1112 times)

Offline ianandpaula

• Site Member
Evening primrose
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:50:54 AM »
Am thinking of giving Molly evening primrose as I have read that it is good for her coat/skin on her black bits she does have bits of dry skin/dandruff so am thinking giving her some oil might sort this. Would you give them the capsule or break it onto their food

Anyone else do this/heard of it
Paula

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Re: Evening primrose
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
Linseed oil is good for skin and coat and probably cheaper than evening primrose ;)

I get mine from an equestrian shop and just put a about a teaspoon in each of their bowls with their food every day

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:31:30 AM »
Linseed oil is good for skin and coat and probably cheaper than evening primrose ;)

You can get evening primrose extremely cheaply online from companies like zipvit
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline inga

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
Hi,
We give all our dogs one evening primrose capsual per day and we buy human ones for them from Holland and Barrets the 500mg size. They are cheap there if you buy when they have their regular sales on, hope this helps you. :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
zipvits are £6.96 for 360 x500mg

http://www.zipvit.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cs
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ianandpaula

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »
Great thanks - she can share mine (Holland & barrett) then we will get her some of her own of t'internet. Have heard of linseed oil though I thought this was used on furntiure  :005: will have a read about it - thanks
Paula

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 06:37:05 AM »
Great thanks - she can share mine (Holland & barrett) then we will get her some of her own of t'internet. Have heard of linseed oil though I thought this was used on furntiure  :005: will have a read about it - thanks
Paula

linseed  has been used for years to bring out the coats of thoroughbred racing horses...and other horses as well I imagine. We actually used to boil the linseed ourselves at the stud. I used it for dogs and I started giving it to Matts working dogs last year and their coats looked great on it and skin wasn't dry.You can buy linseed oil in supermarkets to cook with...and as a qualified massage therapist I have used it as a medium, although prefer grapeseed ;)

I pay £6.95 for a litre of linseed oil and it lasts a long time...even on 6 dogs ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.