Author Topic: Maisy's "play biting" is reaching new levels  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
Re: Maisy's "play biting" is reaching new levels
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »
Well said Jan  :D
Agree with you 100%
I've seen people with 'well trained dogs', thet just looked scared and intimidated to me  :-\

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 09:36:10 PM »
At this point I would just like to add I DO NOT have a well trained dog (altho we are getting there slowly) and My dog is neither scared of me or intimidated

I use a proper kind gun dog trainer who quite rightly says that the dog should do as you bid because the dog wants to please you ! and this is not because he / she thinks they will get a beating either, it is out of LOVE that they do it  :luv:

Cazzie

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2007, 09:42:42 PM »
Well this ain't gonna make me popular but hey ho here goes  ::) :-

If find this the most bizzare thread in a very long time on this forum  :-\

I am actually quite shocked by some people attitudes but I am actually more sad  :'(

I'm sad to think that some people still think it's acceptable to shout at, scruff and hold the muzzle of young pups. I  don't think any of those methods are acceptable these days,  I feel they are being used instead as an easier option to hours of frequent ,consistent ,kinder methods of training that are recommended.

Yes dogs do hold the muzzle of other dogs, Billy did it the other week to a dog that tried to steal his sausage. It's a skill that only dogs have. We cannot replicate mum, so why try to?

I wonder how many of you, who use these methods, have dogs who are actually quite intimidated by you?  They may not show it, but it must have some effect? but  you'll probably never know the answer to that.

I have made my fair share of mistakes with Billy, have never denied that, but if I could do it again with another pup,  I'd never ever ever purpously do anything to my puppy that may intimidate it. I'd want it to associate only good things with me and to trust me 100% and to learn that if anything frightening or nasty ever happens it didn't come directly from me.

I read this earlier  People seem to think  that because they have been doing something for a long while that is the only way to do it and never take the trouble to get up to date with modern methods and/or thinking.

That's the way I feel too.

I'm bowing out of this thread now, otherwise I'll end up getting it locked.

Jan Why on earth would this thread get locked? We are all adults and we are discussing not threatning anyone. Its healthy and I would never think bad of anyone in a discussion, I thrive on them.

I spend Hours Jan on training my dogs, how do you think I can get them to work for me. I never ever hurt them, I work with them. If we dont get something right we go over it again and again. I use ex kind methods with my dogs and the main one being bond. I love my dogs dearly and we work together as a team. I do not demand my dogs do everything my way as I will work on each and everyones nature and mould to suit. What I can get Belle or Goose to do, sweepie wont do, I dont punish her I work round it in another way to get her too think she is doing what she wants.

Also my dogs are far from intimidated by me, if they were they would NEVER work for me, they would run in the opposite direction. You need a happy confident dog to be a gun dog not a shy coward frightened dog.

It has taken me nearly 3 years to get belle to the standard of dog she is at now, she was a coward frightened lamb when I got her, she is now a bold confident worker who is a dog everyone talks about  :blink: She has also gone on to win a gun dog competition, of which I never ever though she would do.

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2007, 09:45:23 PM »
I just hope the OP takes on board the positive methods highlighted here and also looks into having a properly updated and positive orientated trainer/behaviourist to help her overcome the problems she is experiencing with her dog.

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Cazzie

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »
Agree with you 100%
I've seen people with 'well trained dogs', thet just looked scared and intimidated to me  :-\

You are correct there are dogs out there that are scared and intimidated, but these are dogs that are trained by people who do not have a clue and think that heavy handed tactics work but they dont. I also hope you dont include any of my dogs within youre statement  :blink:

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »
Agree with you 100%

You are correct there are dogs out there that are scared and intimidated, but these are dogs that are trained by people who do not have a clue and think that heavy handed tactics work but they dont. I also hope you dont include any of my dogs within youre statement  :blink:

Posted that in a hurry to catch the chippy  ::)
Yes I did mean people with heavy handed, and in my opinion, old fashioned methods of 'training'.
I know many many people have happy and obidient dogs  :D
But to be honest with you, if I used your method on Betty, I know she would snap at my hand, as if to say 'gerr-off', and I wouldnt blame her.
This could then lead her to be hand shy, and if some one went to stroke her, and she thought they were going for her muzzle, she could well snap at them too  :-\

Offline PennyB

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2007, 09:55:06 PM »
Agree with you 100%

I don't think anyone would think that about you, but someone reading this may themselves apply similar techniques and be a little/more heavier handed (those people you suggest that don't have a clue) especially if you think that sometimes some owners are at the end of their tether and techniques like this could inadvertently be applied less gently than intended because one is feeling stressed about the problem.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »
I think it's whatever works on your own dog or dogs. All of mine need different approaches as they all have different personalities. Alfie is a stong willed, stubborn and wilful boy and needs firm handling or he will take advantage, he's just that kind of dog and he responds best to clear, firm boundaries. Tilly gets a different approach as she pretty much does everything you ask first time  :luv:  and Rodaidh will be different again as he is showing to be much 'softer' than the other two, particularly Alfie. It all depends on the dog and what works for you and for them.

Just saw Cazza's post and I agree. Anyone who's seen my lot would know that they are most certainly not afraid of me but they do respect me and they know what they can and can't get away with because they have clear boundaries.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Cazzie

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »
Agree with you 100%

Posted that in a hurry to catch the chippy  ::)
Yes I did mean people with heavy handed, and in my opinion, old fashioned methods of 'training'.
I know many many people have happy and obidient dogs  :D
But to be honest with you, if I used your method on Betty, I know she would snap at my hand, as if to say 'gerr-off', and I wouldnt blame her.
This could then lead her to be hand shy, and if some one went to stroke her, and she thought they were going for her muzzle, she could well snap at them too  :-\

How old is Betty?  :blink:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2007, 10:23:51 PM »
First of all I wish to make it clear that I am not commenting on anybody's training method, and I am not posting this to upset anyone, maybe I will not explain myself very well so  I apologise in advance if I do.

I'm just wondering if I am the only one who doesn't blindly accept that just because something is labelled as the 'latest thinking '  it is necessarily the only correct way ??  (in who's opinion? has it been scientifically proven ?) That is not to say that it might be !

I agree with some things from both points of view and also use my experience I think you have to find the right way for you and your dog.

I'm sure all COL members by the very fact that they are COL members are doing their very best for their dogs however they choose to train them. Dogs are individuals as has already been pointed out.

I also wonder whether  along with many other things, thinking will go full circle eventually, and one day the 'old thinking will be the 'new'

So why are you all arguing ??

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
I'm closing this thread now as it's now going round in circles & is increasingly straying off topic.
Jane