Author Topic: Maisy's "play biting" is reaching new levels  (Read 8716 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Maisy's "play biting" is reaching new levels
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2007, 08:58:21 AM »
Goooood grief!
How did I miss this epic.
Everybody has lots of ideas what is and is not acceptable about correct ways to deal with problem dogs and I can only say that you have to do what sits well with you and your conscience.
Personally i wouldn't be grabbing muzzles, pushing heads down or anything like that as it is very negative and does not show the dog what is right.
The way I would work with this is to teach a settled down which i have described in another thread.
Dogs do need to learn impulse control but grabbing a dog by it's nose for me teaches it nothing apart from you are someone who nasty things happen around.
I have mentioned before on here that dogs learn to ignore punisher's and the dog in this case may learn to redirect this biting behaviour onto other things or people.
You need to teach an acceptable alternative and pushing and grabbing does not do this.
I am just wary about suggesting the use of aversive methods on a public forum as they do have the potential in some cases to go horribly wrong and people do believe what they read and see as Jan fennel, Cesar Milan Dog Borstal etc have shown me.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Cazzie

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »
Mark for what it is worth no one has said they grab a DOGS muzzle, I have said I HOLD a PUPS muzzle which is for little than a few seconds and it is a gentle grip. Hence I never have to do it with an OLDER PUP or DOG. My dogs DO NOT associate me with fear or something nasty or horrid, they absolutley adore me and do EVERYTHING i ask them out of LOVE and RESPECT.  :blink:

I really hope you can help Maisy as she does sound like she could do with the HANDS ON help. before it escalates out of control.

I will now not be commenting on ANY dog behaviour posts and leave it to The Proffessional dog traininers who are the only ones who can successfully train dogs.  :blink:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
Thanks for your post Cazzie and you do sound a little put out  by my comments by your use of capitalisation.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone works differently with their dogs and indeed each dog is different.
My personal belief is that the methods mentioned could have a detrimental effect in some cases so I would not reccomend them myself.
You are free to choose whatever method suits you and your dogs.
please do continue to post on here about behaviour as a discussion does need alternate points of view and if you put ten dog trainers in a room they would all come up with different solutions to the same problem.

Cazzie what do you achieve by holding the pups muzzle?
Does it stop biting?
If so why do you think it does it?
Do you think your dog would generalise this to everyone or does everyone your dog meets need to do this too?
I hope you can see where I'm going with this, as just because an aversive method(which is what it is) worked with one dog it does not necessarily mean it would work with all.
In fact holding a biting dogs muzzle could lead in some situations to a more severe bite in the future.
For me advising anything that could have the potential to go wrong is a no no on public forums as there are already a lot of people damaging the relationship with their dogs through taking the advice of so called experts ( I see enough of them ).

Some advice in the wrong hands in my oppinion could have serious consequences for the dog and owner.
I for one minute saying that I am always right but at least if my advice goes wrong there is less potential for the breakdown of the dog owner relationship.
please do not feel offended by the chat on here as we are all here for one reason and thats our love of all things cocker
please keep posting as i for one look forward to reading your posts.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »
please do continue to post on here about behaviour as a discussion does need alternate points of view and if you put ten dog trainers in a room they would all come up with different solutions to the same problem.

I agree with Mark Cazzie .

Just because there is disagreement on this topic ( which isn't necessarily a bad thing) doesn't mean there will be on the next one.

We all have our own opinions   :D

Cazzie

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2007, 01:33:50 PM »
Thanks for your post Cazzie and you do sound a little put out  by my comments by your use of capitalisation.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone works differently with their dogs and indeed each dog is different.
My personal belief is that the methods mentioned could have a detrimental effect in some cases so I would not reccomend them myself.
You are free to choose whatever method suits you and your dogs.

Cazzie what do you achieve by holding the pups muzzle?
Does it stop biting?
If so why do you think it does it?
Do you think your dog would generalise this to everyone or does everyone your dog meets need to do this too?
I hope you can see where I'm going with this, as just because an aversive method(which is what it is) worked with one dog it does not necessarily mean it would work with all.
In fact holding a biting dogs muzzle could lead in some situations to a more severe bite in the future.
For me advising anything that could have the potential to go wrong is a no no on public forums as there are already a lot of people damaging the relationship with their dogs through taking the advice of so called experts ( I see enough of them ).

Some advice in the wrong hands in my oppinion could have serious consequences for the dog and owner.
I for one minute saying that I am always right but at least if my advice goes wrong there is less potential for the breakdown of the dog owner relationship.
please do not feel offended by the chat on here as we are all here for one reason and thats our love of all things cocker
please keep posting as i for one look forward to reading your posts.
Mark

Hi Mark  :blink:

I am not offended or put out  in the slightest by you're comments and I am always open to new and other idea's on anything to do with dogs and animals. I do not wear blinkers.

If a puppy does bite me in an unacceptable manner ie: bites too hard and gets carried away I will hold its muzzle and say "No biting". They will stop, I have no idea why they stop its something that has always been done around our dogs for years. It does not hurt them as if it did I would certainly not do it, once its been done the pup does not go away and sulk or hide in a corner it will continue to play without the biting. I have very rarely had to do this with any dog but have done on a couple of occassions with my own.

Im not sure what you mean about the generalisation to everyone, but no one who comes here to visit my dogs has any issues with them as they behave. Sweepie may jump up to be cuddled or Goose may pick up someones bag or shoes and Daisy may stick her tounge down you're throat  but to me that is acceptable behaviour from my dogs, they are not causing any potental harm by sinking their teeth into anyone.

Also To respond to another post regarding working with aggressive dogs, I have and I do work with adult aggressive dogs and do not have one bit of bother with any of them, they are treated in a totally different way to a young pup. I have a male Chesapeake who I sometimes care for who I get on with like a house on fire. He can be extremely frightening but to me is a big attention seeking baby. Dont ask me how I deal with them it just comes naturally to me and just seem to hit it off with all dogs. I also have another 2 aggressive dogs who are muzzled most of the day as they would rip each other to bits, but again I never have a bit of bother with them. I also one day walked into a house where my father was working and saw a alsation lying in a bed with bandaged legs, I went up to the dog and said "Oh poor baby whats happened to you" her owner then appeared and said "Good god" i cant believe she didnt take your hand off, she was well known for biting people. I certainly would NOT grab an aggressive adult dogs muzzle and never have said  I would.

I would NEVER tell anyone how to treat their dog. It is their responsibility as a responsible dog owner to gain help from a Pro or porven dog traininer if they have major issues with their dog. I comment on what I would or do in my own situations and would for one minit not even type down what I do if I knew it caused my dogs mental issues.

My life is my dogs and animals, I could not continue through my life without them. I do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure they enjoy and live their lives to the full and if this includes holding a new pups muzzle for biting then I will continue to do it as it works for me.

If we were all the same life would be a tad boring and I have the greatest of respect for ALL dog trainers. I certainly would NOT disagree with any of their methods, unless they were to hurt or be cruel to an animal.

Cazzie  :blink:

Sotty Mark meant to add: I do see exactly where you are coming from, there are dogs out there who have issues and will have issues all their days, and these require different approaches  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
If have googled "Holding a puppies muzzle to stop biting" there is lots of info on it, apparantly it is what a mother dog does to her pups.  :blink:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
If have googled "Holding a puppies muzzle to stop biting" there is lots of info on it, apparantly it is what a mother dog does to her pups.  :blink:

Exactly, the mother of the pup, not a human being.

Cazzie

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »

Exactly, the mother of the pup, not a human being.

No comment  :005:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »
I certainly would NOT grab an aggressive adult dogs muzzle and never have said  I would.

Sotty Mark meant to add: I do see exactly where you are coming from, there are dogs out there who have issues and will have issues all their days, and these require different approaches  ;)

I understood the original question to be about normal puppy play biting that has gotten too rough, not about adult aggression, and certainly nnot about a dog that does not belong to you.

I do feel that any true aggression issues need to be addressed by a professional, and if there is any question that puppy biting is becoming serious then the owner needs to seek professional help before it turns into a bigger problem.

But for normal rambunctious puppy biting, a gentle laying of the hand on top of the muzzle is just one tool in my toolbox that I am comfortable using with my own dogs, who are totally not traumatized or handshy.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2007, 03:41:43 PM »
Mac has been extremely bitey from the time we brought him home. >:(
Holly corrects him by putting her mouth around his muzzle. (Byron just gave him a real talking to a few times at the very beginning and since then, all the biting has been directed at Holly, poor girl!)
We have tried yelping, imitating Holly, just standing still and ignoring him but the most effective (for us!) has been to get his attention and tell him to sit. If this then fails, he gets a short time out. And it seems to be working.
Mac has definitely improved but we still have a way to go yet. ;)
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
Everyone has different opinions about dog training - the reason I turn to COL as well as to a training manual, and professional trainers, is that when a technique is suggested, someone else will give a reason why they don't agree with it - which allows me to form form my own opinion based on a range both positive and negative comments - rather than blindly trust someone who advocates a particular method  ;)

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't use any form of negative training techniques with any dog  :-\
I don't feel it is necessary, and they can have unexpected and unwanted results if applied incorrectly, or in the wrong situation  ;) I would prefer to use and recommend techniques that are completely harmless even in the hands of an amateur like me, as it is possible that they may be applied inappropriately  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »
I have been trying not to get involved in this "debate" and I am no expert ;) this is just my own opinion based on my own experience of cockers  :D

I have to say that I agree with Cazzie :D After all we are told time and time again to squeal just like a pup would if bitten too hard by another pup yet if we "gently" hold a pups muzzle just like its mother would, everyone seems to be up in arms :005: I think it just stops the pup for a moment and makes it realize that it is unacceptable behaviour, if a pup gets nowhere everytime it tries to bite it will stop trying ;) I don't believe it would cause any lasting damage or hand shyness. I think you need to be quite firm without causing any harm to the pup ;)

My previous cocker "Oscar" decided at about 7 months old to start growling/snarling/snapping everytime my eldest son tried to go near him/move him. I found this totally unacceptable >:( and Oscar was told in no uncertain terms that this was NOT allowed and was sent/carried to his basket and left/ignored( he was NEVER hit/hurt in any way we were just EXTREMELY firm ;)) and Oscar turned out to be the most laid back/gentle/friendly dog you could meet who never showed signs of aggression or hand shyness :D

I think that if it means "gently " holding a pups muzzle for a moment and saying "no biting" to stop biting getting out of hand then I don't have a problem with it ;)

But like a few people have said, we all have our own training methods with our own dogs and what works for one might not work for another ;) it is just our opinions ;)

There I've got that off my chest and I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames now :005:

Beanie if you are worried about Maisy's biting I think I would get help from a professional before it gets out of hand ;)

Michelle

My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »
Hi Guys

I have just read this whole thread and Blimey what a heated debate

I have to say that I agree with Cazzie :D After all we are told time and time again to squeal just like a pup would if bitten too hard by another pup yet if we "gently" hold a pups muzzle just like its mother would, everyone seems to be up in arms :005: I think it just stops the pup for a moment and makes it realize that it is unacceptable behaviour, if a pup gets nowhere everytime it tries to bite it will stop trying ;) I don't believe it would cause any lasting damage or hand shyness. I think you need to be quite firm without causing any harm to the pup ;)

I think that if it means "gently " holding a pups muzzle for a moment and saying "no biting" to stop biting getting out of hand then I don't have a problem with it ;)

There I've got that off my chest and I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames now :005:

Beanie if you are worried about Maisy's biting I think I would get help from a professional before it gets out of hand ;)

Michelle

Well as you can see I totally agree with the above statement and Cazzie

Now Nina - the best advice I can give you is find a cocker savvy trainer and get some advice and this sorted out NOW or you will have a problem on your hands
You have to be consisitent with a cocker and EVERYONE in the house hold has to act exactly the same  (as with most other breed of dogs too, but more so with a cocker  ;) )

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2007, 08:47:14 PM »
really not sure what to do with her anymore.

I am sure Maisy is just nipping me playing (her tail is always wagging and it's a kind of come on Mum get up and play biting) but she is really starting to hurt me.  My hands are scratched and bruised but she will bite me anywhere, including my nose this morning which bloomin' hurt

Not sure from reading this whether its play biting/mouthing, or if it is getting a bit nasty, in which case a professional trainer can asses Maisy, and give you the best advice  :D

But if it is just over excited puppy, attention seeking, play with me type of mouthing, then this is how I dealt with it with Betty (as I HATED those needle puppy teeth  >:D )

So first of all I taught here to 'get a toy'. Every time she picked up a toy I would say get a toy (in happy voice), then praise and play.

Then every time I knew she was walking over to pick a toy up, I'd say get a toy, then as she did, praise like mad.

So when I knew she knew the cue, and she was jumping up at me and mouthing, I would just point over to a toy and said get a toy, and it worked as she knew it meant play time  :D

It worked for me better than trying to ignore her, or time outs, and I've since learned that its better to turn things for them into positives rather than negatives

Hope it helps, Danni.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 09:24:34 PM »
Well this ain't gonna make me popular but hey ho here goes  ::) :-

If find this the most bizzare thread in a very long time on this forum  :-\

I am actually quite shocked by some people attitudes but I am actually more sad  :'(

I'm sad to think that some people still think it's acceptable to shout at, scruff and hold the muzzle of young pups. I  don't think any of those methods are acceptable these days,  I feel they are being used instead as an easier option to hours of frequent ,consistent ,kinder methods of training that are recommended.

Yes dogs do hold the muzzle of other dogs, Billy did it the other week to a dog that tried to steal his sausage. It's a skill that only dogs have. We cannot replicate mum, so why try to?

I wonder how many of you, who use these methods, have dogs who are actually quite intimidated by you?  They may not show it, but it must have some effect? but  you'll probably never know the answer to that.

I have made my fair share of mistakes with Billy, have never denied that, but if I could do it again with another pup,  I'd never ever ever purpously do anything to my puppy that may intimidate it. I'd want it to associate only good things with me and to trust me 100% and to learn that if anything frightening or nasty ever happens it didn't come directly from me.

I read this earlier  People seem to think  that because they have been doing something for a long while that is the only way to do it and never take the trouble to get up to date with modern methods and/or thinking.

That's the way I feel too.

I'm bowing out of this thread now, otherwise I'll end up getting it locked.