Author Topic: runs and blood!!!  (Read 2264 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
runs and blood!!!
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »
oh my goodness i need some advice. i left for work this morning at eight sammy had poo before we left. OH came home at ten and he had the runs twice, i got home at half twelve to two lots of runs with blood in it!!!! :-\ another lot of runs at about two, went to pick son up at three got back more poo and blood. ::) what is the blood!!!! i haven't changed his diet or he hasn't had any extras. he seems ok in himself but am a bit concerned about the blood. it's tea time now and don't know what to do!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Re: runs and blood!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 06:27:08 PM »
Sorry you are worried about Sammy  :'( ..dont know I'm afraid, but sure someone will be along shortly to help  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
I'd ring the vets straight away. Sounds like an infection or something .

Best to be safe  ;)

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »
That's rotten...it's so horrible when they're so young and poorly.

Being so new to this game I can only offer sympathy and an experience I had with my little guy, however I'm sure someone else will be able to assist you more.

Monty managed to catch a stomach bug off his uncle when he was about 4m old and he had blood in his poo, but (please don't read this if you are eating dinner) his poo was like a clear jelly at the time.  It was a job for the vet, a dose of anti-biotics and the haemhorragic gastroenteritis was all gone in a couple of days but we did catch it early as his uncle had been admitted to the vets so we knew it was something serious and acted on it pretty immediately.

Good luck with the little one x

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »
I'd ring the vets straight away. Sounds like an infection or something .

Best to be safe  ;)

I agree, if you're worried ring the vets straight away.

sue, zak and strider
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
i just phoned the vets and got through to an emergency line. i'm really annoyed they weren't concerned at all, i told them about the runs and the blood and they said "strave him for 24hours if he has the runs though the night take him to your vet in the morning!!!!" i explianed that he's only 14weeks old :-\ and they said don't panic if he's ok in himself! i am panicking though :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
sammy - sorry to hear about your boy being ill. :'(

Is the blood in the poo digested blood i.e is it dark brown/red?  or is it bright red?  Does it look like there are coffee grounds in the stools?  Is he vomiting?

pups are more prone to tummy upsets - which is probably why your vet out of hours service didn't sound overly concerned - also it would be better for the pup to be less stressed at home with you rather than at the vets....

The worst thing with something like this is dehydration - is he still drinking?  check his gums too and let us know if they're nice and pink. 

Jarv was ill with haemorrhagic gastroenteritis a couple of week ago and i know what a worry it is. ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 07:05:48 PM »
Hi

Harvey is 12 weeks old :luv: he started with the runs on friday lunchtime and by about 5pm he was passing blood as well. Just like you I was extremely worried :-\ but he was ok in himself. I thought I would wait until the next morning to see how he was. Just gave him water. The next day he was fine in himself but still runny poos and passing blood :-\  I had a look at some threads on here and follwed some of the advice given ( obviously if he was unwell in himself I would have just rang the vets but he was running around and playing ;)) I gave him plain boiled rice for a couple of days and today he has had his normal food as poos started to look better with only a little bit of blood. By tea time tonight his poos were nearly back to normal and no signs of blood:D So if i was you I would try giving him rice with maybe a bit of cooked chicken in it and see how he goes but if he seems ill or not himself then obviously contact a vet :D

michelle
My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 07:07:03 PM »
checked his gums they are pink, he is drinking and the blood in his poo is bright red. he's taken himself off to bed now which isn't like him if we're in the living room he's always in here with us.i'm trying to resist the urge to go and pick him up and leave him be.  :'(

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 07:14:21 PM »
Oh sammy , I m really sorry you must be feeling awful i would be the same too blood is always scarey :o I'm sure your vets have given you the best advise but if it's the same in the morning i would take him anyway just to be safe you;ve done the right thing by phoning them hope the little fella is better soon  :luv:

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 07:16:52 PM »
Don't panic, hard I know, do as the vet says starve him & get him to the vet tomorrow for antibiotics
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 07:20:52 PM »
Tyke was like this. In his case it was caused by worms. >:D
Hope you get sorted out
Sarah
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Harry Blue

• Site Member
  • I love my frisbee
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 07:27:07 PM »
Oh Sam - I hope he's ok.

I had a simillar scare with Harry a couple of weeks ago. The morning after my husband had left on a work trip for 10 days, Harry had very very runny poo, going about five times before he started passing blood. Like you I rang the emergency vets and was told that if he is 'ok in himself', which he was, then the blood could be due to 'over straining' rather than being anything worse. Harry is 15 months old (so older than your pup), and I was told to give him a bit of scrambled egg and rice, and maybe a little bit of chicken mixed in to help settle his tummy. If he wasn't better in 12 hours I was to take him in. But he gobbled up the rice and chicken (what a surprise!) and his tummy settled a couple of hours later. He did look quite sorry for himself for a day or so, but the new rice, egg and chicken dinners seemed to make him happy. I gradually introduced his normal food again over the next 48 hours.

Doggies can get minor stomach upsets and its no surprise when I think the revolting things Harry attempts to digest - I do hope your puppy just has a little upset tummy and is well again very soon! It is so worrying when your baby is ill!

And just to illustrate my story - Harry has just vomitted a small pile of sticks and grass at my feet!
Harry Blue - a legal alien in Boston...not happy about the waste of good tea....

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 07:30:07 PM »
i just feel like crying :'( does that sound pathetic). waiting for OH to come home from work, where are they when you need them!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
..of course it doesnt sound patheitc  ;) ..we luv our babies so much and hate to see them unwell. I'm sure the advice you have been given is good .. take him to the vets in the morning and he will soon be fine ..a big (((hug))) for you both x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"