Author Topic: First walk - any last minute tips?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
First walk - any last minute tips?
« on: July 12, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »
Well its the long awaited big day tomorrow....... Jasper's first walk!
Just wondered whether you guys had any last minute tips/words of wisdom you wanted to share? ;)

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
Re: First walk - any last minute tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »
Firstly, don't expect too much your pup may be a little wary, usually it is two steps forward and one back on the first walk, if you are walking on pavement wanting to get to a grassy area and your pup is a little worried and does not wish to walk, pick him up and carry him to the area, usually grass is much more exciting to a pup.  Expect lots of sniffing and stopping.

Make sure he is in a safe place where older dogs are not going to frighten him to start with and a big bonus is if you know you are going to meet any lovely friendly dogs to make sure you bump into them to give positive feedback.  Don't allow him to go over to dogs you do not know.

And last tip make sure you have plenty of time for your 5 minute walk as it will last 30 mins  :005: with all the people wishing to stop and stroke Jasper.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:56:07 PM »
I agree - leave plenty of time  :lol:  Harlem has been out walking for 3 weeks now and he still hates walking on the pavement - he takes two steps then puts the brakes on. I then have to jolly him along whilst trying not to get my arms pulled out the sockets by the others who are desperate to get where they are heading  :lol: :lol:  He is great off lead on the grass - runs about like a loon
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:20 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »
Make it a short walk and let him get used to new areas. If the area is safe (no roads nearby), then I would let him off lead straight away and start immediately with giving him a tasty treat everytime he checks in with you and comes back to you!

I also made sure from day one that I got him used to kids playing football, other dogs around, people walking around etc. and played with him and gave him treats around those distractions. I now have a puppy that can easily focus on me regardless of what is going on around him (other than girlie dogs which he has just found out that are veeeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting... he is 6 1/2 months old...  :005:).

Also make sure that you praise him loads when he walks nicely and stop immediately when he pulls ahead! That way you should not end up with a massive puller.  ;)

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:14:45 PM »
If you are walking in an safe/enclosed area I would also add dont be afraid to let him off the lead. He won't go far and is likely to stay as close to you as possible. Take lots of treats to reward him with and reward/praise like mad when he comes back to you

x
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:43:57 PM »
If you are walking in an safe/enclosed area I would also add dont be afraid to let him off the lead. He won't go far and is likely to stay as close to you as possible. Take lots of treats to reward him with and reward/praise like mad when he comes back to you

x

and also encourage him to come back to you so you get into the habit of practising recall. I also don't make a point of just walking along in one direction, I keep changing direction up and down and all over just so they follow me or keep getting them to chase me so turning into a fun game as well (this is good for later on as well if as they get older they realise where they are going all the time they get the confidence to go on ahead and may go further than you want them to, changing dierction every so often keeps them on their toes rather than them keeping you on your toes).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »
Took Milo out for his first walk yesterday and he was an absolute star!!! Just went for it, playuing fetch in the long grass. Tell you nowt phases him at all!- except cars we still aren't sure about them and i have to carry him past the jcb's on the new housing estate  :005:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
Took Milo out for his first walk yesterday and he was an absolute star!!! Just went for it, playuing fetch in the long grass. Tell you nowt phases him at all!- except cars we still aren't sure about them and i have to carry him past the jcb's on the new housing estate  :005:

Try luring him past with a treat or squeaky toy
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 01:42:11 PM »
I agree with CarolineL, let him off lead as soon as possible!  He won't run off as he'll be too nervous!  But if you wait until their confidence builds before letting them off they'll be off like a shot!

How was the first walk?!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 04:06:43 PM »
1) OFF WITH HIS LEAD! I agree with everyone that has suggested this Lilly is 5.5 months old and her recall is cool (this could however all change in a few months but for now its good). We only ever have her on the lead on roads etc.
2) lots of treats and praise (even silly voices)
3) ENJOY YOUURSELVES
good luck

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »
We did off lead first walk and whistler walked behind OH in front of me and kept checking where I was. If OH stopped when he was checking where i was he collided with OH it was funny.  Went through a stage when he kept pi....g off back to the car when he saw it in the distance. Now perrrfectt walkies and recall fine takes patience and time.

But I prefer to off lead now and only on lead near a road or other dog, cyclist, etc..

Viv

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:33 PM »
Well I think today has gone much better than expected!!

We have been walking Jasper around the garden on a lead for a little while to get him used to it. To be honest we thought we might have a few problems because he had not really taken to that - in fact I think he thought we were a pair of nutters :005: .... but it has certainly paid off.

We went out at about 6am this morning (not just 'coz we were so excited!!) and took Jasper to the end of our close, out on to the main road. He stopped in his tracks and did not want to move. He is used to the sound of cars etc as our house backs on to the main road - but this was all new. It took a little bit of coaxing (a cuddle and a treat) to get him going again! It was a bit stop-start along the road towards the field as he sniffed at things but he would continue without too much persuasion to keep up with his mam/dad.

When we got to the (wet) field we let him off the lead for a little while - well until the two horses that we thought were tethered at the other end of the field came bounding over >:D at which point we decided to head off home (rather swiftly!). We met another dog (a staffie) and its owner on the way back and they said hello at a safe distance. 

Tonight the weather was so awful we thought that our "precious" pup that usually doesnt like to get his paws wet would not be up for a walk. Nevertheless, we wrapped up for the wind and rain thinking we'd be lucky to get outside the front door. How wrong we were.  ;) We ended up on a longer (pavement) walk around the edge of the field and alongside a noisy dual carriageway back home. The poor little mite was soaked to the skin - not helped by him spalshing through the puddles.

When we got to the pub at the end of the road he did his first "dragging" on the lead - he really to go in. Not sure whether it was the people stood outside smoking/chatting or the shelter they were stood under he was attracted by (or whether he just takes after us!! :005:

All in all a pretty good effort for his first day out.... only one little problem - Jasper doesn't like to do his "business" in public - he prefers to hold on and to do his stuff in the privacy of his own garden....

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
  • My wonderful Family oh and me
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 09:49:36 PM »
the main thing is to enjoy every moment and take lots of photos and expect the unexpected  :luv:
Hi from ANN,Bailey, Minstrel and Merlin the cat.
My animals are the light through dark days
Update.... Bailey died yesterday age 14 .. Minstrel 8yrs ago age 17
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 11:01:50 AM »
Thanks everyone - Jasper has taking to this like.... well .... a pup to walking :005:

Have posted a couple of pics on the puppy section!