Author Topic: Puppy basics  (Read 2661 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Puppy basics
« on: December 12, 2003, 05:26:48 PM »
The countdown is on for when we collect our pup in the New Year.

We're starting to think of what 'essentials' to buy.  A friend has kindly given us their puppy crate, so we're ok there, but I was wondering what else.  Would anyone add or amend this list:

Vetbedding/basket
Bowls (any reccommendations where to get spaniel bowls?)
Lead & collar
Toys
Blankets and towels
Hot water bottle (?) (do they do dog proof ones?)
Grooming brush and comb
Shampoo

:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

What with Christmas and all - I'll be off to the bank for another mortgage!

Thanks
Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Puppy basics
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:02:01 PM »
You can get Spaniel bowls from Pets At Home, if there is one near you. Petpack, who advetise on this site, also sell them.

You could add to your list a  Kong or Buster Cube, both handy for stuffing with treats/dry food to keep your pup occupied when you leave her alone or even just to get her to enjoy being in the crate.

Most people get the hard basket for a new puppy, so it isn't wrecked straight away by chewing. I'd check the grooming section for what brushes/combs to get. I found my two hated the slicker brush initially so used a soft bristle one at first to get them used to being groomed. The Spratts comb is something most of us swear by. :)

Have you decided on a name for the pup yet, or is it still under discussion ? Having now seen the pup you must be getting really excited, I trust you took your camera ?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Puppy basics
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 09:47:15 PM »
I have two hot water bottle type things for Dallas - his snuggle puppy, which I think is a fantastic invention for a puppy. Its in the shape of a dog and it has a heartbeat which can really help pup settle. It has a little bag inside which gets popped in the microwave and that gives the heat. The other thing I have is called a snugglesafe which is basically a round thing that you pop into the microwave but you would have to wrap a blanket around it so pup doesnt burn himself.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Puppy basics
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 10:46:20 PM »
Well the name debate continues, with my wife, daughter and I all thinking we have the 'best' names :lol: .  Although I'm sure we won't decide until we get her, Honey is odds on favourite at the moment. :D

Oh yes - we took camera so have some shots of the tiny pups, and will take it again when we go back in a couple of weeks :wink:

I've heard about those snuggle puppies but wasn't sure what they were.  Where can I get one from?

Thanks for your advice Gill and Colin - it's off the shops this weekend!

Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Puppy basics
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 03:55:21 PM »
Hi Phil, we have had our orange roan boy called Indie for 2 weeks now, and one of the best things I have bought him is a bed with a sort of hood on it,like a cosy den. He loves being in there, as it's dark, and he feels secure in it. It's made of fleecey stuff, so nice and cosy.
The basics we bought were:

a soft puppy collar, the same food as the breeder had him on, puppy training pads, or newspaper(save them up), a special deoderising spray for cleaning accidents - they are numerous, thank goodness for my wooden floors!, toys, a soft blanket, treats for training, a brush, a bed, and a crate. Oh, also a mild puppy shampoo for accidents, and baby wipes for stepping in accidents!

Also, check out insurance - we got a great deal with morethan online, with the first 2 months free, it's good to compare deals while you have the time,lol. Just be aware that some cover per YEAR, not per CONDITION, which could make a huge difference if your dog was ill obviously. We did consider just paying into a puppy fund account, but I got worried when a friend  had a spate of vet bills recently.

HTH

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Puppy basics
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 11:06:11 PM »
Although we had a hard bed ready for Lottie, we actually let her sleep in a box for the first 2/3 weeks.  It wasn't a large box, it was one that she could feel snug in.  We turned it on its side and lined it with vet bed and she loved it....I think she felt very cosy in it as her proper bed was big and open whereas the box had a 'roof' :wink: She did like to chew it though but then you should see the teeth marks on her hard bed :roll:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
Puppy basics
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 01:55:44 PM »
I bought Dylans name tag before we had him, I searched the net to find something a bit different & this place is great www.groovypets.com. (Sorry I dont know how to put the link in  :? ) I got him the Hot dog tag with a kennel on it it looks really smart  :D  [/url]                    

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
Puppy basics
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 01:57:03 PM »
Hey thats clever it posted the Groovy pets link without me doing anything rofl  :D  :D  :D                    

Offline PennyB

Puppy basics
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 03:39:28 PM »
Although we had a hard bed ready for Lottie, we actually let her sleep in a box for the first 2/3 weeks.  It wasn't a large box, it was one that she could feel snug in.  We turned it on its side and lined it with vet bed and she loved it....I think she felt very cosy in it as her proper bed was big and open whereas the box had a 'roof' :wink: She did like to chew it though but then you should see the teeth marks on her hard bed :roll:

When I 1st brought her home Ruby had those hard carboard veg boxes with a blanket in that I bought from a charity shop (cut it up in two as it was a double one) so she could chew to her hearts delight. Mind you she also slept in the crate a lot (still does) as there's also a bed in there and I often left the door open.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Puppy basics
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »
We have been told different things. Some people say, on our puppies first night, we should start as we mean to go on and put him in a basket downstairs so he can just poo on the floor. Some people say we should put him in a cardboard box in my room and take him to the toilet in the middle of the night when he whines. We are a bit confused. What do you think???

Also we cannot decide where to put the puppy play pen. Someone told us we should put it in the kitchen because that is where there is most activity is. But our kitchen is too small. What do you suggest? :?                    
Katherine and Barnaby