Author Topic: New member new puppy!!!  (Read 1510 times)

Offline *kimbo*

• Site Member
New member new puppy!!!
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
Just have to share my excitement with all you guys as we have just put a deposit done for our first cocker spaniel. We pick her up in 4 weeks time. So come on all you experts...I need a little help and advice. What should I start thinking about. I have a crete already and the garden was been well fenced. I was thinking about what is the best puppy food around (obviously I would wean her off the breaders choice first). Bedding, tricks ground rules??? I also have 2 cats has anyone had any experience in introducing a new puppy to 2 established cats in the home? I have a few photos to share with you that I took last night. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial for uploading them onto this site please??? I look forward to meeting everyone on this site and hope that I can get some helpful tips and advice in the future. Kind reagrds to you all.
Kimberley

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
Re: New member new puppy!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »
Hullo and Welcome to COL

there are many threads in the puppy section with hints and tips about introducing cats perhaps checking there would help (I haven't got that problems so I'm no help lol)

Otherwise my best tip is to move anything and everything away from ground level, float if you can ;) Our girl is teething at the moment and nothing and nobody is safe from the teeth!

Lainy and Callie

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »
Hello and WELCOME!

You simply cannot do enough research BEFORE your puppy arrives.  Read books: The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey and/or Puppy School by Gwen Bailery - absolute terrific, simple, easy reads, but soooooo helpful!  ;)  Easily available from Amazon.

Keep checking this site each day and it's amazing what you will pick up.  But honestly, until you get that little scrap of fur under your own roof, there's nothing that can really prepare you for puppy ownership!  Get plenty of sleep now - make the most of it, I kid you not!! :005: 

The breeder should give you food for at least 4 weeks, so don't worry too much about diet to begin with.   :D  That will come in time.  Just make sure you have a routine in your own mind and do keep to routine and always, always be consistent.  Puppies need to know that the goal posts are set in stone.  Food bowls, lots of newspapers, bedding, old towels for muddy paws (oh yes), training treats, little soft brush for grooming.  I'm sure there's loads more, but that's all I can think of now.

If your puppy is coming into a family environment, do talk to the family and make sure everyone treats the puppy the same.  If you don't want him/her on the sofa, it's no good your OH letting it jump up there - or vice versa.  So talk now about some ground rules about how you wish to raise your puppy, so that everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet when pup finally joins you!

Lots of excitement for you, I have no doubt.  It's a wonderful time of anticipation - but also a time of 8 hours glorious sleep!!!!  :005:

Love

Kay

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »
Hi and Welcome!

A new pup is so exciting! Is it a he/she, show/working, what colour?!?! (so nosey aren't I?!).

We collected our pup on Sunday, she's is a golden working cocker called Roxy. As Kay said - make the most of your sleep!! Roxy has been good overnight - howels for about 15mins before she settles. But we do get up early to let her out. And she certainly keeps us on our toes!!! I'm soo tired today!! Its been a while since we had a pup, and you forget what its like -  "...errr, spit that out...drop that....no, leave the hens alone....no, the kitchen cupboards are not a great big chewie!!!!). Aww, she's loverly really :) She is firm alseep at the moment - she looks so peaceful bless her  :luv: She'll be wide awake and playful for when my OH gets home!

The best advice I can give is read through the posts on the puppies section of the forum and sift through all the tips and advice on there. We've picked up soo much!

I did my own little how to post photos for someone recently - see how you get on...! http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=15626.60

Anyhoo, I'm on dinner duties so I'd better go. Look forward to seeing the piccies!

Lv Holly (...and Roxy, who's just woken up at the mention of dinner!)

Offline Chellejm

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
Aww!
Welcome to COL!

We're picking up our black and tan little boy on Saturday and can barely wait ;)
We're calling him Herbie.
We've been keeping some loo and kitchen roll inards as we hear they are fun to chew?!

Looking forward to seeing ur pics :)
The Herbster!!

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:21:52 PM »
Hi Welcome to COl ;)

You'll love it its addictive!

so many experts here best place to be ;)

I have a 10 month working cocker Lady :luv:

What part of the country are you from?

Enjoy the ride cant wait to see some pics  :luv:

So good to have a newbie  ;)

There is a post i put on for everyone to put a photo of themselves on ;)
when you master the art put a pic on so we can see you and your wee one :luv:

www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=34799.0

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:45:49 AM »

Hello

I have a 14 week old black and tan boy called Hamish who allow so far is very clam by cocker standards still manages to keep me on my toes!

Check out the puppy section you'll find loads of info on there

Offline *kimbo*

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:37:43 PM »
Thanks for all your posts. The cocker we have chosen is a blue roan bitch and a show type not a worker. We live in Devon (Exeter) so excellent dog walking countryside. I have started another post with a couple of photos I have taken of her, still trying to master the art of puttin them on here, I guess practice makes perfect!! I am following everyones stories with interest.
Kimberley