Author Topic: Stair/door gates  (Read 4949 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Stair/door gates
« on: December 18, 2003, 08:46:29 AM »
Another 'product' question!

The puppy-proofing of the house continues.  We're going to have a stair gate/baby gate/door gate thingy on the kitchen door.

In Argos, they have a dog one for £30-odd, however, in the baby section they do ones that look very similar for £16.  They look almost identical, and I think the only difference in the height of the gate.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of these?  I'm wondering if the baby one would do just as good a job, or whether Cockers are likely to jump over them?

With the costs incurred in having a pup, if I can save £15 here and there, it makes quite a difference :wink:

Thanks guys
Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline PennyB

Stair/door gates
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 09:06:50 AM »
I got a baby gate from Argos (one of those that's easy to fix in place £24.99 one with a gate so I can go through it quite easily and not have to climb over it) and I doubt if they could jump over them but when they're very young they can squeeze through them! Mine's decorating the hallway as they keep bouncing the handle on the hall door and jumping through to greet the person I'm talking to at the door.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Phil

• Site Member
Stair/door gates
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 09:36:38 AM »
The only advise I'd give about the baby gates for Argos is check the size of your doorway! We've just got one for our dog and it wont fit as our doorways are too narrow. Doh!

Phil                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stair/door gates
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 09:41:48 AM »
We had the same problem Phil - living in a old cottage, our doors are narrower than your average door. We found a baby gate that fits in Mothercare - it's one of those adjustable ones so will fit various widths.                    
Jane

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Stair/door gates
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 10:03:45 AM »
We got our first gate from mothercare. It was really adjustable. (Our kitchen archway is quite wide). I think it cost about £30.

At first she could squeeze through so we had to use extra bits of wood until she was older.

Beware though, once she got to 12months she could jump over it!. We never saw her do it as she waited until we were out. The kitchen is very big so she didn't need much of a run up either! We then bought the god one from Argos which is much taller - I think it was about £35 but I wish we had got that one first - it would have saved my skirting board. We did have to send for the extensions which were about an extra £5.                    
Anita

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Stair/door gates
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 10:05:10 AM »
Just read my post and it should say the kitchen isn't very big!                    
Anita

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Stair/door gates
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 10:05:42 AM »
I think my latest one is the dog one from Argos. I got it for the height but Dallas can climb over that too :roll: My first one was a lot smaller and did vegas fine even when he was fully grown. It just depends on if you have a climbing cocker or not :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
Stair/door gates
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 11:19:52 PM »
We used a stair gate but ended up cutting sections of MDF to blank the face off as one of ours could fit through the bars :shock:  I think this is where the price difference comes in, check the gaps between the bars.
It is amazing where the little tikes can fit as I found out and ended up ripping half the kitchen units out to find where the crys were coming from! :roll:  Mind you he never tryed again :lol:                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Stair/door gates
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 07:34:26 AM »
I have just got the doggie gate from argos. The main reason was to stop youngsters sqeezing through the bars, which they did with the baby gate. It is also much stronger than the baby gate I had. It is really easy to fit, and hasn`t budged since we fitted it. We were always tightening the baby gate. The good thing with Argos is you can take it back if it does`nt fit :wink:  Deffinately worth the money :D
Tracey :D                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
Stair/door gates
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 01:10:32 PM »
We got one from Argos too but its a real dog gate. Alot stronger than a baby gate. It works wonders for us :)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stair/door gates
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 07:10:21 PM »
I had the opposite problem due to the fact that the bottom of my stairs is really wide and only one stairgate fitted  :roll: ...it had to be one that came with extensions if I remember right..which i think was out of argos...but this was about 8 years ago  :wink:
I got a bargain at the school fare last week and picked one up for the amazing price of 50 pence  :lol:  :lol:  I felt so guilty paying only 50pence i gave the lady a pound instead  :wink:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Stair/door gates
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 08:31:45 PM »

I got a bargain at the school fare last week and picked one up for the amazing price of 50 pence  :lol:  :lol:  I felt so guilty paying only 50pence i gave the lady a pound instead  :wink:

You're all heart Gilly :P

We have a baby gate separating the kitchen & lounge, but as Gill said it all depends if you've got a climber....none of mine do :)                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Stair/door gates
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 12:43:17 AM »
Hi,
I have just today refitted an old Mothercare (very adjustable) baby gate to the kitchen door.
Our new 8 year old Tia, who up to this morning was fairly trustworthy in the kitchen, managed to take several lumps out of a fruitcake and consume about half a pound of butter from the dish.
First I knew about it was finding her being sick on the living room carpet!!
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!