Author Topic: Limits after puppys first injection?  (Read 7784 times)

Offline *kimbo*

• Site Member
Limits after puppys first injection?
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:31:28 AM »
Just a quick question. I am getting my puppy next week and the breeder said that they are going to get her first injection done before I collect her at 8 weeks. I understand the second injection is 2 weeks after the first is this correct? What limitations are there with the puppy in the two weeks inbetween. For example can I take her out in the car? Can she meet other dogs? Shall I just keep her in the garden...........? Any advise would be greatly received. Kimberley

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
Re: Limits after puppys first injection?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »
We took the advice (from the Vet and experienced breeders) that its best to get puppy used to environments and if your garden is safe and secure and not got other dogs roaming then (as ours was) then we took her in Garden and basically carried her everywhere else.  All our neighbours used to laugh and call Poppy "Spit the Dog" as she reminded them of that Puppet being carried everywhere.   :005: But we wanted to get her used to the sights and sounds around our house. 

We carried her up to the road and let her get used to the sound of the traffic past the trees in the wind - we carried her out at day time, night time etc etc.  We were told the more you can get them used to early on the better.

She was not introduced to other dogs (appart from her sister who was in the same position) and we took her out in the car to get her used to that as well. 

I think it also depends on what area you live in as to how prevalent certain doggie diseases are but I'm sure someone else will offer some good advice.

Bet you cant wait for your first walk!!

Amanda x

Offline *kimbo*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »
Thanks Amanda dont want to do anything "wrong" when we get her as we have been waiting so long. Our garden is secure and we have 2 cats so doggy diseases shouldnt be a problem. Am I correct that it is at 10 weeks they have their second injection?

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
I think the timing of the injection depends on the type that the Vet uses.  At our Vets it was 8 weeks then 10 weeks for the second but I know at another vets they do 10 weeks then 12 for the second.

We just stuck with the advice that the Vet told us !  Like you we were worried about doing anything wrong!

Amanda

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:36:40 PM »
They can meet other dogs, as long as they (the other dogs) are vaccinated. ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
I brought Fern home and she had to meet other dogs straight away - as we already had Jock, I phoned the vet and that was fine as Jock was up to date with all his vacs  ;)

We used to take (and sill do  ph34r ) Fern to the pub and into town but carried her until she had had all her vacs  ;) (don't carry the little imp now  :D )

Definately take your pup in the car and get them used to it and lots of other places but don't put them down until all vacs have been done

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »
Hiya,

I took Roxy for her vaccination last week aged 8 weeks, and the vet said she was not to have the next until she's 12 weeks. I was really surprised, I thought is was 8 & 10 weeks! So its some time yet before she can go out walkies. She is meeting vaccinated dogs at other peoples houses. At the weekend, we're going to take her out to some busier places to get used to general everyday noise. We'll have arms like Arnold Shawtzneger (sp?!?!?) by the time we get back from carrying her around!!!

Holly

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
I took Coco out and about everywhere with me as soon as I got her but didn't put her on the ground until about a week after her 2nd vacc as advised by the vet.  I thought it was important to get her used to as many sights and sounds as I could though and she got lots of attention when I took her out.  :luv:  I let her play in the garden though and it is safe to meet other dogs as long as you are 100% sure they have had all their vaccs.  Coco started puppy class at about 10 weeks so that was really her first introduction to other doggies apart from the puppy party at the vets.  If you phone your vet they may run these too - basically it is a session for new pups and their owners where they give some basic info and allow the pups to meet and play together.  I think a lot of vets do them  ;)  I thought it was a great idea - we even got a goody bag  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:02:24 PM »
i took floyd out and about from day one just never put him down either took him out durin the day and at night he loved goin to the future MILs as her garden is totally fenced off so he could go in and out as he pleased floyd and myself both loved puppy classes ours showed us to clean there teeth and do there groomin and loads of wee bits and bobs and floyd got to meet other puppies to we just toke him to my home town off falkirk on mon and he met my dads 2 dogs and my mums dog and he loved it had a ball cause he was used to other dogs