Author Topic: HELP!! My Pup's Barking Mad !  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Daisydoo

• Site Member
HELP!! My Pup's Barking Mad !
« on: January 02, 2004, 11:02:28 AM »

Can anyone shed some words of wisdom ?? My 12 week gorgeous pup :D  has just found her voice (and what a voice ) and now wants to use it at any opportunity - we have tried No and NO!! which sometimes works, but she thinks we are playing a game and just barks louder !  :cry:
We have tried ignoring, putting her back in her crate - turning our back - so she just walks away and barks at something else  :x (normally if outside its our poor rabbit !!)
Is this a phase (along with the play biting) ? or has anyone got some secret cure !!??
Thanks                    
Love Tanya & Daisy
XXX

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:39:44 PM »
Well, I hope there's a secret cure and if there is I want to hear it :wink:  I can sympathise with you as Dallas is very vocal. I don't know whats worse - the barking or the persistent whining over anything or everything :roll:  He's 15 months old now and showing no signs of improvement. He tends to bark when excited and playing so in the park hes running about barking his head off. Hes also now started to bark at other dogs and people in the street. I think the effect of the aboistop is wearing off now so i'm a bit stumped as to what do next :?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 03:03:15 PM »
There is no magic way to stop a dog barking though its much easier to teach a puppy to be quiet than an adult dog where it's engrained behaviour (sorry Gill :)) Some Cockers are noisier than others - this can be down to genetics in part as some lines seem to be "barkier" than others. With a young puppy, the worst thing to do would be to shout at the pup to try to shut it up - puppy just interprets this as you joining in :wink: Most trainers seem to agree that the best way to curb problem barking is to teach the dog to bark on command, the idea being that once you can get a dog to bark to order, you can also control the "off switch". This takes time & patience to achieve but it's not impossible. For more info on barking generally, this is a good little article by David Appleby:http://www.priory.com/vet/vetbark1.htm                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 03:22:07 PM »
I've tried the method that Jane has mentioned and managed to teach Morgan to bark on command when he was about 6 months old (when you tell him to 'speak' he starts barking and say 'enough' and he stops).  Unfortunately this is a trick to him and if he starts barking of his own accord (say at the post coming through the letterbox  :oops:  :roll:) I can say 'enough' till I'm blue in the face and he won't stop til he's ready to stop.  I'm not sure what I did wrong  :?  :?:   In saying this, I stayed a night with his breeder when I went to collect him and he definately comes from a long line of "barkers".  Although I mainly keep in touch with his breeder by e-mail, we do speak on the phone sometimes and Morgan has barking contests with his family over the phone!!! :?  :wink:  
I've kind of got used to it but it bothers non-doggie visitors, but then I get quite irritated by crying babies.  
He never barks at people in the street, which is one thing that I'm quite glad about.  
I hope you have some luck in quietening your pup, either that or you manage to get used to it as background noise :lol:
Sorry I couldn't be of more help  :(  

Shirley and Morgan  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Daisydoo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 03:28:08 PM »
Jane

Thankyou for the interesting thread - it totally makes sense and I will try to act on the advice - Im not sure yet about the barking on command - its sound advice but Im not sure if I want even more barking in the short term !!
Heres to ignoring and reinforcing the right behaviour :)
....interesting because the cat takes no notice of the barking she has started to bark far less at her !! The cats not daft                    
Love Tanya & Daisy
XXX

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 08:08:45 PM »
Butty is a "barker" to, but hers definetly seems to be more territorial than play barking. She barks at ANYBODY who approaches or walks past our house  :?  She also barks when I come home from being out, so I suppose this is excitement  :)  The main problem I have is her barking in the back garden if I let her out at night it's especially worse. Even though i have an outside light which I switch on just before she goes out, she is still insistent on letting the whole neighbourhood and any other dogs..."here I am"  :roll:  Luckily she now comes back in on command and when I shout "enough" she runs back in  :wink:
Also my neighbour is a DJ  :shock:  and has been so busy the past month with Christmas etc that he hasn't been arriving home until way beyond 2.00am everynight, which means she barks her head off in the middle of the night when she hears his car pull up the drive :shock:  :?
I do try and curb the barking and say "enough" and it does work a bit but then she just starts all over again  :roll:
I have to be honest and say I have got used to it and it doesn't really bother me anymore..she is a free spirit and this is part of her personality and I don't want to curb it in anyway  :wink:  although if the barking was aimed at me and she was being "cheeky" i might be more inclined to look for a cure  :wink:  :)                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 11:12:13 AM »
I don't have an answer to the problem but just find the subject of barking quite interesting.

Lottie is the complete opposite, she rarely barks.  She barks for food( :roll: ) and will play bark at the hoover etc. but if she goes down the garden she'll hardly ever bark.  Infact on the odd occasion that she has barked down there we all find it very amusing and stand watching her from the window :D Her bark then is never full blown, it's a sort of 'unsure bark' and she usually stands still and then may sit and bark intermitently :? I'm not complaining though as my neighbours always compliment me on her invisible behaviour :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 01:16:04 PM »
Its funny about the barking. I've never managed to teach Phoebe to bark on command but she's not a barky dog at all.

Even when she's out and other dogs in the neighbourhood start (and some never seem to stop) she doesn't join in. She doesn't even seem to listen to them :roll:                    
Anita

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 07:36:48 PM »
Its funny about the barking. I've never managed to teach Phoebe to bark on command but she's not a barky dog at all.

Even when she's out and other dogs in the neighbourhood start (and some never seem to stop) she doesn't join in. She doesn't even seem to listen to them

Vegas used to be just like Phoebe but since Dallas joined us he has started barking :roll:  Its still at an acceptable level though and only when he is startled by a door slamming or something. But I can live with that :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 03:19:57 PM »
Fern does as she is told but likes to have the last word...... WOOF...FERN!....WOOF......FERN!.......WOO.....I'm warning you!.....WO.....In your bed!...(walks away casually towards bed)...W!

I seeth!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!