Author Topic: Your Opinion On... Doggy Slippers?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
Your Opinion On... Doggy Slippers?
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:07 PM »
Hey all,

As you may know, I'm getting my pup in just over a week, so for the last few weeks I've been puppy shopping. I've been looking at toys and have came across these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plush-Squeaky-Slipper-Dog-toy-STAR-Pet-Xmas-pressie_W0QQitemZ290180066775QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20753QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

In my opinion, its not a very clever design of dog toy. Wouldn't it encourage puppies to nick and chew OUR slippers and shoes?

What do YOU think?

EDIT: Fixed the link, and sorry I put this in the wrong place  :embarassed:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Your Opinion On... Doggy Slippers?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
your link isn't working, but if it's the plush toys shaped like shoes, I don't think its a problem. Puppies have to be taught what they can and cannot chew, in the beginning they think everything is theirs to chew  ::) :005: but later on, with training, they certainly learn to discriminate  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:15:57 PM »
I have to admit, I have never bought a dog toy in the shape of any household item that is "off limits" for chewing - I've seen mobile phones, slippers, shoes etc and I avoid them all. 

I know, logically, that the dogs won't start chewing slippers if one of their toys is slipper shaped; but with a young child as well, it is easier just to say "dogs don't chew shoes/phones/slippers" than try and explain that some are OK if they are toy ones  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:41:59 PM »
I gave my pups all my old trainers to chew --- but then I put away all my shoes/boots/trainers etc. anyway! Sometimes you just have to clear stuff you don't want them to chew away from their reach. I found it easy though as no dogs go upstairs, so up there it can be as messy as anything but downstairs I tidy away stuff i don't want destroying
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »
I think cocker's have a shoe fetish anyway, mine have  :005:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
I think cocker's have a shoe fetish anyway, mine have  :005:
Just what I was about to say Julie :005: .

I would save your money and hand over a pair of old trainers for pup to demolish(supervised  ;) ), at least 'til teething is over and done with, and  get used to keeping your good ones waaaay out of cocker reach  :shades: .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
Kali too ph34r :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Well, I must admit, my pup won't have access to anything but his own toys off the bat. Which I know will be easier said than done :005:. But I intend to aim for that anyway.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »
Well, I must admit, my pup won't have access to anything but his own toys off the bat. Which I know will be easier said than done :005:. But I intend to aim for that anyway.

Good luck. Let us know how that works out for you   :rofl1:

They find stuff you didn't know you had!  :o :lol:

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »

I'll be watching you to see if you manage this  ;) i bet new pup finds something to chew that you forget to put away  ;)

My cockers never ever chew anything they shouldn't  ph34r :lol: just look at this thread  ;)   http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=35831.msg489589#msg489589

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 07:00:43 PM »

I'll be watching you to see if you manage this  ;) i bet new pup finds something to chew that you forget to put away  ;)

My cockers never ever chew anything they shouldn't  ph34r :lol: just look at this thread  ;)   http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=35831.msg489589#msg489589

Try this thread, too........there are some things you can't put away  ;)

You can never guarantee that your dog won't chew something it shouldn't - if you begin your life together with that expectation, then you are going to be disappointed, which would be such a shame  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:07:51 PM »
I didn't mean, he WON'T chew anything he shouldn't, as I know he'll get ahold of some things that don't belong to him.
What I ment was I'm not keen on giving dogs things that we don't wnat anymore. Like, isn't a shoe as shoe? Like if we give a dog an old shoe, won't he want our new one? Same goes for any clothes or anything else that's human-owned.

Sorry, I don't think I'm explaining myself very well...  ph34r

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »
I'm just joking, I understand what you meant. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.  ;) :005:

I've never been one to give old shoes to puppies, as I agree that I don't want to give them the idea that shoes are ok to chew. That said, I let Bracken keep the shoes he has chewed (not exactly a puppy at 18 months!  >:(), as they satisfy his desire to chew and he likes them better than his toys  ph34r

Offline Doggone Mad

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »
I wouldn't give any doggie toy that looks like a shoe or phone etc.  There are enough temptations for wee pups as it is however well you put things away  >:D.  I've therefore never let Hamish chew my slippers, shoes, socks etc.  A wee pup won't be able to differentiate between the toy slipper and the real thing.  There are lots of other great interactive doggie toys out there which won't cause this kind of problem.  Good luck for when your wee pup arrives. 

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 07:32:49 PM »
I'm not convinced Griffin would connect a slipper shaped toy with the real thing but I don't want to tempt fate. At the moment he's not much of a chewer. We seem to have escaped the teething stage unscathed. However, he is partial to a nice juicy toe now and then, usually when I'm settled with a really good book.  :005:
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"