Author Topic: Another night question - my room or not?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Another night question - my room or not?
« on: January 07, 2004, 08:52:15 PM »
Sorry for asking so many questions :oops:

Indie and I attended his first puppy training class tonight, run by a member of  the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. The trainer is fabulous, really calm voice, and got loads of dogs to do things their owners said they couldn't - fascinating stuff.

Anyway, she was talking about night time training, and it was so loud with dogs braking, I missed a bit (loads of pups there tonight, apparently twice as many as usual!). So, I caught her at the end and asked her advice on Indie. She recommended penning him in in our room instead of the kitchen, but while my dh is reluctant, I'm ok with that - what would you all recommend? Dh feels it's giving in!

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 09:09:19 PM »
Hi Shona

I think its all down to personal preference really. Vegas was in the spare room until he was about 5 months and then he seemed to move himself in to my room :lol:  The only reason he wasn't in my room from day 1 was because I wanted to keep a room seperate for my older dog - his sanctuary if you like but he was fine about vegas being in the bedroom. Now they are both under the covers and little old me is squished to one side :roll: When i got Dallas, I put his crate beside my bed on the first night and hes been there ever since. I would saay that if you don't want Indie sleeping in your room in future, then carry on as you are especially as you are making progress...finally.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 09:15:12 PM »
I tend to agree with Gill on this and would dtick with the theory start as you mean to go on  :wink: If you don't want him in the bedroom permanently then i would continue with what you are doing at present. As if you are both not happy with him in the bedroom....theres not much point.
I started Butty off in the kitchen and it was only when i was getting a new sliding door fitted (that took my husband days to fit  :roll: ) that she ended up in the living room  :roll:  she has now progressed to my bedroom...not quite sure how that occurred  :wink:  well i am actually i take her up when my hubby is nightshift and she's weedled her way up permanently now  :lol:  :lol:
But......it is only now that I trust her and she is what i would call bombproof...ie past the chewing stage etc that i am happy with this  :wink:                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 10:28:01 PM »
This is a decision only you can make Shona.  I agree with both Gill and Gilly.  You are making progress so I would continue as you are doing.  I think there are equally as many members on here who let their dogs sleep in their bedroom as there are those who keep them downstairs.  Lottie has always slept downstairs but I have never had to contemplate changing that as she is more than happy there and has been from day one :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 10:46:58 PM »
i take her up when my hubby is nightshift and she's weedled her way up permanently now  :lol:  :lol:

I take Indie up with me when hubs is on nights too, she is a really good guard dog :)   The rest of the time she sleeps in her crate in the kitchen, quite happily, as thats where she was from the beginning, its only the past couple of months, that I have let her upto bed.

Shona, I would personally train to be in the kitchen, that way if you ever have to kennel him for holidays etc, it won't be so traumatic for him, as he will be used to sleeping on his own.  You can always let him up now and then as I do.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 08:47:36 AM »
Great everyone, thankyou! I will carry on as I mean to go on - he slept from 10.45pm last night-6am this morning, and he was a star. I love reading about all your dogs *wheedling* their way in, or I don't know how they managed it but .... Indie has done so many things I thought I'd never allow,lol! I'd have him in our room like a shot, but it's not fair on dh, so will keep doing what we are doing.

This morning I did a trick with him we learned at puppy classes last night (lie down) and he did it three times perfectly, he just loves getting fussed over. He's suddenly matured or maybe my handling of him has,lol, in the past few days, he's much more predictable and less *wild* at times, so I'm more relaxed and he's feeling that and being relaxed too.

Thanks for putting up with me guys - your support is invaluable! Dh was laughing when I came home from training last night, I was straight on here to ask your opinion,  :lol:

Shona x                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 09:45:35 AM »
Indie has done so many things I thought I'd never allow,lol! Shona x

I think we all have these preconceived ideas about how we are going to do things.  Then reality strikes and there's this dear little puppy just wanting to be loved and be totally part of the family :wink:   We decided that she would not be allowed on the furniture...yeh right :roll:   We're now at the stage where I'm happy for her to be curled up on the sofa whilst I'm at work :wink:

So glad that Indie seems more relaxed at night now Shona :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 10:22:10 AM »
You'll discover Cockers are good at "weedling" Shona  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
I'm glad you had a great nights sleep, and he seems to be doing great so keep up the good work  :D
Butty wasn't allowed on my sofa either until recently...now i'm not really bothered at all...my hubby wasn't into it at first but he's been coaxed round living with a houseful of women, he's got no choice  :twisted:
What does "dh" stand for???? I hope it's "darling husband"  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 01:06:23 PM »
You'll discover Cockers are good at "weedling" Shona  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
I'm glad you had a great nights sleep, and he seems to be doing great so keep up the good work  :D
Butty wasn't allowed on my sofa either until recently...now i'm not really bothered at all...my hubby wasn't into it at first but he's been coaxed round living with a houseful of women, he's got no choice  :twisted:
What does "dh" stand for???? I hope it's "darling husband"  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Yes, it's darling husband, or dreadful depending on my mood :wink:

And yes, he's good at weedling, he knows just how to play me. Honestly, it's been a step change for me too - I was guilty of indulging him too much, and being too soft, the training classes really helped me realise that I'm not doing certain things the best way, and look at how I deal with him. He's been responding so much better today - this morning I had to go out and was longer than I expected (2 hours) but NOT a bark, or whine when I opened the door, usually he's jumping everywhere but he sat and waited till I'd unpacked the shopping, bless him.

Shona                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 01:09:27 PM »
Indie has done so many things I thought I'd never allow,lol! Shona x

I think we all have these preconceived ideas about how we are going to do things.  Then reality strikes and there's this dear little puppy just wanting to be loved and be totally part of the family :wink:   We decided that she would not be allowed on the furniture...yeh right :roll:   We're now at the stage where I'm happy for her to be curled up on the sofa whilst I'm at work :wink:

So glad that Indie seems more relaxed at night now Shona :wink:

That's exactly it, Mary. I feel so in love with him at first, but now I am being more strict rather than indulgent, he's behaving so much better.  It's like kids in a way, one you have them under control you can relax more, which helps all round. With the sleeping thing getting better I feel much more able to cope, he was a star last night, and this morning I was so glad to see him. I do indulge him by letting him on furniture I suppose, but he's one of the gang now, so he's allowed! :wink:

Thanks!

Shona