Author Topic: Inroducing dried food  (Read 2126 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Inroducing dried food
« on: January 10, 2004, 01:01:26 PM »
Hi all

Honey was weaned onto chicken & scrambled egg, so we have been giving her this since she's been with us.

I am keen to start introducing dried food for her, and have already been mixing a few JWB kibbles with warm water and adding that to her meal.

We went to the vets today to her her innoculated/microchipped, and they gave us a free puppy pack full of all sorts of info and free samples!

One of these samples was a couple of bags of Pro Plan.  

I've read lots of threads on here about intoducing food gradually, but I was wondering if I should a) stick to the JWB if that's what we want her to be on long term (and I've got a massive bag of it in the garage!   B) Let her have the Pro Plan till that's run out and then intoduce JWB or c) only use the Pro Plan if we intend to stick to it long term (mmmm - maybe that's why they give you a free sample :wink: )

Obviously I want to do the right thing, but it seems a shame to waste the offer of a free sample!

Thanks everyone :lol:

Phil & Honey                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Inroducing dried food
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 01:19:30 PM »
Hi Phil, i would stick with the JWB, if thats what you intend to keep her on long term..... Too much chopping and changing isn't good for her!. Plus it can also make her into a fussy  eater.  :D

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Inroducing dried food
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 01:29:36 PM »
Hi Phil (and Honey  :wink: )

As you already have a sack of JWB I'd stick with that. It's a shame not to make use of a freebie but chopping and changing a puppies food could lead to problems. Offer up too many different eating options and they can become fussy, a mistake I made with Jimmy early on. :roll:

Misty is on JWB and Jimmy has it mixed into his Naturediet, both appear to thrive on it. :)

*Edited to add, I posted without reading Barb's post first. :roll:  Snap ! :lol:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Inroducing dried food
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 02:39:29 PM »
I agree with everyone else, stick to the JWB  :wink:  But i wouldn't let your *freebie* packets go to waste..I used mine as little treats when Butty got older and was on an established diet  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Inroducing dried food
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 05:13:47 PM »
Hi Phil

Stick with your JWB as the others have all mentioned especially if this is what is going to be her main diet when she is older.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline PennyB

Inroducing dried food
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »
If I'm ever given any freebies like that that are larger than just a sample sachet I give mine to the local rescue.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Inroducing dried food
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 09:14:27 PM »
I used to buy quite large bags of dog food and went through a phase of trying different ones (not recommended unless you want a picky eater  :wink: ) I handed in any unopened bags to Pets at Home as they had a collection point for pet rescue etc  :wink: