Author Topic: !!!  (Read 2155 times)

Offline dylan

• Donator
!!!
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »
Hi there, new to site and have many questions. Dylan is my 1st dog and is a 12 week chocolate working cocker. I introduced the crate as soon as i got him and this is where he sleeps on a night or when i go out. He is locked in here as he chews a lot and do not trust him as yet to be left out by himself. He also has another soft comfy bed . My question is that on a night i put a puppy pad on one side and his blanket and teddy on the other. I found that as soon as i took the blanket and teddy out he was also using this as his toilet. I was actually quite pleased by this as it means that i didn't have a puppy pad in the middle of my floor. He is now fully vaccinated and has started weeing and pooping in the garden but not all the time. Should i take his pads away, or still to young? He wees loads :005: He gets loads of praise when he gos in the garden but have known him to play outside then come in and use his pad. Am i expecting to much of him!!!!   I also have noticed that he has stopped using his pad that is left in his cage during the night but i leave it in there just in case of accidents. any advice ? many thanks ;)
Tina and Dylan

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
I wouldn't ever train with the pads - in my mind all they do is train the dog only to go on them, rather than outside. I think that the whole pad thing is confusing him as a pup should never mess where he sleeps.

For house training we used to be really consistent with our pup (and it was a real bore), after every meal, after every nap, and about every hour between we would take him outside and praise him like mad when he did what he should.  He was a quick learner and was housetrained by 12 weeks so you can do it   :D

helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
I don't plan to use pads this time round as Louie found they were great to rip the shreds and other than convenience for me as they soaked up accidents better than newspaper, didn't think on reflection they were worth the added expense (and mess).  Also comparing them with babies it did seem to prolong the training as it's too easy to rely on them and get a little lazy not taking them out as often as perhaps we should  ph34r

One thing I want to try to do, is lift the bedding slightly off crate base so if there is an accident it doesn't soak into bed - of cause, Louie always dragged his bed into the middle of it anyway  >:D  Think I'm going to stick to simple bed and vetbed that is easy to wash until puppy is reliably housetrained, house-training the others (humans) in house to make sure regular trips outside when its wet and cold might be harder..

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sian P

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
I wouldn't ever train with the pads - in my mind all they do is train the dog only to go on them, rather than outside. I think that the whole pad thing is confusing him as a pup should never mess where he sleeps.

For house training we used to be really consistent with our pup (and it was a real bore), after every meal, after every nap, and about every hour between we would take him outside and praise him like mad when he did what he should.  He was a quick learner and was housetrained by 12 weeks so you can do it   :D

We used newspaper and found it was just confusing Murphy. As soon as we took paper away and like Livercake has said were consistent with taking him outside, he took to going outside it within the week.
Sian & Murphy x

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »
Agree with Livercake! Roxy was crated at night and only ever wee'd in there once on the first night.  We used to take her out every 15 mins to start with to wee, with loads of praise, gradually extending the time.  She was also house trained pretty quickly.

Dont forget if he is crated at night you will have to get up a few times to let him out as he won't be able to hold it all night.  We did this, gradually extending the time between wee's until she could go all night.

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
thanks for the advice, i think i must be lucky as he is holding it in on a night time, totally bursting in the morn though and have to carry him outside very quick :D think will have to be more encouraging when he has a wee and poop outside, its like having a baby all over again, am so glad we made the decision to get him, hes an adorable little terror :luv:
Tina and Dylan

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »
I don't plan to use pads this time round as Louie found they were great to rip the shreds and other than convenience for me as they soaked up accidents better than newspaper, didn't think on reflection they were worth the added expense (and mess).  Also comparing them with babies it did seem to prolong the training as it's too easy to rely on them and get a little lazy not taking them out as often as perhaps we should  ph34r

One thing I want to try to do, is lift the bedding slightly off crate base so if there is an accident it doesn't soak into bed - of cause, Louie always dragged his bed into the middle of it anyway  >:D  Think I'm going to stick to simple bed and vetbed that is easy to wash until puppy is reliably housetrained, house-training the others (humans) in house to make sure regular trips outside when its wet and cold might be harder..

are we all missing something here jenny  :huh:  ....THIS TIME AROUND.... .... PUPPY RELIABY TRAINED  :-\  ;)

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »
I never used paper/pads. I done the put-the-pup-outside-every hour/meal/playtime thing. Yes it was so so tiresome, and I was lucky, he slept though from 11pm-8am with hardly ever weeing (pooed twice in the house since we've had him) from when I got him at 8wks. And now he's 95%% house trained at 16wks. He only has the odd accident now - TOUCH WOOD!! :D

That said, of course, he is still crated at bed times and when I go out, and shall remain so for a while yet.