Author Topic: Crying and Howling inThe Night  (Read 1454 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Crying and Howling inThe Night
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone can help with this one? Rio goes through some nights absolutely fine, we stay up with her until almost midnight and get up at 6am or just before to go out for a wee. Othernights though, she'll wake up at random times and cry and cry and cry! We tried ignoring her but she just didn't stop (I was worried about our relationship with the neighbours!!). I've tried going down to let her out when she cries (sometimes she toilets, sometimes she comes back inand does it in her crate!), but as soon as I go back to bed, she cries and cries again - and its soooo loud!! I've tried tried leaving the radio on, leaving the radio off, leaving the lights on low, leaving the lights off, leaving a ticking clock with her. She has Roxy, in a basket right next to her (roomy) puppy crate. I've thought about leaving both Rio and Roxy loose in the kitchen, but I think they'd just play fight all night long! I'm at work now, and all the dogs are sleeping around my desk (poor Roxy has been walking round like a zombie!!) We are all sooooooooo tired this morning!! But its alright for the dogs, they don't have to work!!  :005:

If anyone has any advice, would be greatfully appreciated  :D

Holly

P.S - I probably sound a right grump, but to be fair, this is Rio's only 'problem', she is an absolute little star in all other areas - a real bright little button!  :luv:

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
Re: Crying and Howling inThe Night
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »
Hi Holly,
Before I start let me tell you I really am no expert on these things but I went through exactly the same with wilson. I think that some nights she is sleeping trough and the nights that she isn't she merely wants attention. Are you closing her crate at night or is it open for her to walk around? I crate train and the crate is closed at night and wilson would, some nights, cry and howl, like you I let him out for the loo and he too had another dog in the room with him but still he persisted!! :-\
After a few days we came to the conclusion that he was wanting attention. >:D As you said she is a little star all other times and so little stars get praise and cuddles, because she is so good and gets positive attention she wants (or expects) this >:( on demand!!!
She is still so young and may wake feling bewildered (know that feeling!!) and scared or disorientated and so wants cuddles to reassure. We left wilson and didnt go down at all and he stopped eventually it didnt take long ( a few days for him to realise that we aint comin'!!!)and now if we have the cheek to get up in the night and go into the kitchen he throws us such a filthy look for waking him!! :005:
Also she is a cocker! they are a bit needy!!!
If you are sure she is fine and not hurt or anything I would leave her, if your worried about the neighbours explain the sitch and I'm sure they'll be ok ph34r it wont be for long, ( maybe buy some ear plugs!)
Thats what we did anyway!! :D
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline Gunner

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
We have had Gunner  :luv:  nearly 3 weeks now and the first 9 nights was awful (he is in the kitchen in a crate) he would howl and cry and we just ignored it we was all of course very tired and grumpy but we stuck to our guns and he now sleeps through he takes himself off to bed about 10 ish and we are up at 6:45 ish
I honestly never thought that he would settle but he did thank god, all I can suggest is that you just ignore her and hopefully she will settle

Good Luck

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »
Hi Holly - I'm a newbie so no expert - Dax has been with us for a week and did cry for the first couple of nights  :'(-  one night he got so upset I had to reassure him for a good 15 mins but he settled down after that. We leave the radio on but I think one thing which has helped is his doggy hot water bottle  ;).  I got it from Pets at Home - it goes in the microwave for 3 mins and stays warm for hours - it has a fleecy cover so is nice for him to lie on.  :blink: Cost about £12 I think.  - I hope that helps a bit and good luck with your sweetie girl  :luv: Anne, Dave and Dax x
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
Hiya,

Thank you sooo much for your replies  :luv:

As you said she is a little star all other times and so little stars get praise and cuddles, because she is so good and gets positive attention she wants (or expects) this >:( on demand!!!
She is still so young and may wake feling bewildered (know that feeling!!) and scared or disorientated and so wants cuddles to reassure.
- This is very true, and I think, if we put the ear plugs in (and pop a pack of ear plugs through next doors letterbox  :005:) and sit it out, we should be onto a winner!! We'll have to see how it goes! Obviously we'll lfrequently et her out for toileting.

My OH is desparately trying to wear her out - the little pup is finding it hard to keep her eyes open!!

We leave the radio on but I think one thing which has helped is his doggy hot water bottle  ;).  I got it from Pets at Home - it goes in the microwave for 3 mins and stays warm for hours - it has a fleecy cover so is nice for him to lie on.  :blink: Cost about £12 I think.  - I hope that helps a bit and good luck with your sweetie girl  :luv: Anne, Dave and Dax x

Will have to look for one of these dog hot water bottles. I didn't want to use a human water bottle as I was worried she'd chew parts off it and hurt herself. So thanks for that tip!

You are all such stars!! Thank you sooooo much!!  :luv:

Holly

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »
...well, we did a couple of clicker sessions and lots of games of fetch, went to bed at 11.30pm, forgot to put the alarm on, and went down to let her out at 7am!! No crying at all  :D Feel so much better fora good nights sleep!  :005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »
Thought I might try a DAP defuser - anyone used one  and any good?

Louie had a cushion pad with a reflective silver lining that keeps the body heat to keep them warm, they still have them at Wilsons I think.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
...well, we did a couple of clicker sessions and lots of games of fetch, went to bed at 11.30pm, forgot to put the alarm on, and went down to let her out at 7am!! No crying at all  :D Feel so much better fora good nights sleep!  :005:
ooh great, what a tired little star!! :luv: there'll be blips obviously but you can handle the odd blip when you're getting a good nights sleep (I bet you slept like a baby!!), I'll keep my fingers crossed its the start of good things to come  :D
I pick my puppy up in 2 weeks so look out for me I may need some moral support myself, I can kiss goodbye to my weekend lie-ins for a while, wilson is such a lazy bum he's gonna really miss his cuddles in bed til 10.30am, its gonna hit him hard!!! >:( :lol:
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »
Good news.  It is called a Snugglesafe  :blink:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »
Thought I might try a DAP defuser - anyone used one  and any good?

Louie had a cushion pad with a reflective silver lining that keeps the body heat to keep them warm, they still have them at Wilsons I think.

i see a pattern emerging here Jenny  :005: ;)