Author Topic: Hyper puppy  (Read 2267 times)

Offline poppyhunter

• Site Member
Hyper puppy
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:50:42 PM »
Guys

My 5 month old bitch is very hyper, is this the norm for a cocker, I've owned Dalamtions, Dobermans in the past but this little devil is crazy !!

We feed her on Burns, but she seems to have so much energy its unreal, would it be worth changing her food ?

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Hyper puppy
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
One of the joys of owning a Cocker puppy :005: i would stick with the Burns for her meals, as this is one of the best quality dog foods on the market, Cocker puppies do tend to have a lot of excess energy and of course as adults as well, as i am sure the majority of us here can vouch for ;) Do you let her a free run at all, or is she constantly on the lead. is she a show type or a Working type. people with workers will correct me, if i am wrong, but they do seem to have more energy than the show types :D

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
What do you mean by 'hyper'? Most cockers are very active, busy little dogs, always on the go. Is your girl a working or show type? Working cockers in particular are generally extremely energetic dogs and need a lot of physical and mental stimulation to keep them occupied. Burns is a good quality food so if she's doing well on it I'd keep her on it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »
Roxy (14wk Old Working Cocker) is pretty hyper to, she is fed on James Wellbeloved. I take her out at lunchtime, off the lead, she goes absolutely nuts, running up and down round and round (its quite funny to watch!  :005: ) she comes back and after a little why falls firm asleep. She does running around like a mad thing in the lounge and in the garden to, the poor hens don't know whats going on! I also do little training sessions with her which tires her also (using her brain power wears her out...I know the feeling!). I have just purchased a treat ball (I'll put some of her dinner biscuits in it) and a kong, but this is more so to give her something to do when she is left for short periods. I think, as the others have said, its just there nature to be nutty!!

Ooo, one thing that I'd definately advise is not to give them artificially coloured treats >:D!! Other COLers said about this recently on a thread about treats for pups. I binned them on this advice, but the little tyke managed to get hold of the ones that I hadn't yet binned from my coat pocket. She was about 10x more hyper than usual!  :o She's never, never, never having them again!

Anyway, am rambling sorry!

Holly & Roxy the nutty pup!

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »
Fred, like all cockers, was hyper up until a few weeks ago when he reached 6 months old.  He seems to have settled down a bit now though.

I'm sure its just normal cocker-ness!

Offline poppyhunter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:58 PM »
Thanks everyone......

She runs off the lead twice a day for 1 hour or so, then she can come in the house can act like a Tazmanian devil, she's from working parents so may be she is just full of puppy energy.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
Bellas five months and a 'working cocker' also and as mad as a hatter - but thats what i like - as i type she is throwing a tripe stick around the room.

Offline poppyhunter

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
Thanks everyone......

She runs off the lead twice a day for 1 hour or so, then she can come in the house can act like a Tazmanian devil, she's from working parents so may be she is just full of puppy energy.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:42:45 AM »
As a working cocker she will have loads of energy. The best way to channel this will either be through exercise and training. Mental stimulation can absoluetly knacker any dog out.

Have you tried clicker training with her? 45 mins of clicker training with my dog and he will sleep for hours  ;) :lol:

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 11:56:48 AM »
I can sypathise completely. Floss my orange roan is about 22 weeks and is as mad as a hatter!! she zooms around the living room all legs and tail !How much exercise she has doesnt make any difference at all. Its like the lights are on but theres no one there !!Her mum Cassie was exactly the same untill around the 7 month mark and then she gradually calmed down .By about 12 months she was the lovely calm and quiet dog that she is now .So we are hoping that floss will be the same as her mum and calm down soon.All of mine have been a bit hyper in puppy hood but have turned out lovely but Floss really is something else !good luck..i hope she will grow out of it soon for you,its exhausting just watching them sometimes isnt it!

Offline oswaldann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »
Daisy is nearly fourteen months and still absolutely crazy, no ammount of exercise tires her out!
I just hope she calms down eventually ::)
Could this be a gold thing?
Ann

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
I would definitely stick with the Burns.  It's one of the best you can give them.  ;)   But if you are giving training treats, be careful what you give them.  If I give Daisy anything made by Pedigree, she's bouncing off the wall within the hour. 

If your pup comes from working parents, then she's going to be a busy dog who will need plenty of exercise and plenty of stimulation.  They positively thrive on it!  Perhaps you could enrol her in one of the many puppy courses out there - Clever Canine, Adolescent Puppy,  Rally-O etc.  Not only would this be great for her once a week, but you would spend the days inbetween, training and focussing on what you had learnt and preparing for the next lesson.  Our puppy is not of working strain at all, but she and we benefit hugely from the focus it gives us with her training.  And it's massive fun too!!  :005:

Kay
-x-

Offline jenza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 10:27:07 AM »
Mines the same, spends ages running round playing with her outside and then when I bring she goes absolutely scatty :lol:  I usually give her time out for 5 minutes in her crate and it seems to work.  Good point about the treats - I will have to check what is in the ones I give ours too.

Offline poppyhunter

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »
It was like someone flicked a switch a 6 months, she has calmed down and will even lay down and sleep when she is with us!!!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »
Glad she has calmed down a lot, Jasper got rehomed twice in his first 9 months because he was too full face for the homes to cope with, now he's so laid back he is horizontal!

He and Louie still have their moments though, I was getting ready for work a couple of days ago and came down to find they re-arranged the furniture doing the wall of death off the settee and sending it back to the wall (we have wood floors so it does roll quite easy).  Lou is 1/4 worker and at 18months is still full on when out for a walk but most of the time is pretty happy to snuggle up for a cuddle at home.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie