Author Topic: Pet Corrector: views please  (Read 8459 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
Pet Corrector: views please
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
have put this on puppy because my vets have recommended the pet corrector for my puppy Dax which uses compressed air to interrupt behaviour - I have been told it is not an unkind training tool but am not at all sure about it as won't use unkind methods to train Dax - has anyone used it and what do you think?  :buttkick:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Pet Corrector: views please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:00:11 PM »
For what type of behaviour has your vet recommended a pet corrector????

Puppies are so young and so quick to learn I really think that any behaviour you are trying to change you can use positive methods rather than a spray collar. :blink:
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
I wouldn't use it as i think it can have bad consequences with some dogs. Ie the dog may associate YOU with the loud frightening noise.

If you search the forum am sure Mark ( Top barks ) has posted his views on these.

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
thanks - I felt very unsure about this - it is for trousers!  He grabs and growls my pants to get my attention when he wants to play and we are having problems with it though I think I would prefer to continue with saying 'no' then ignoring him if he doesn't stop and also time out as a last resort - I'll have a look for Mark's posts - cheers.  :blink:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »
......what do I think? honestly?  That you should find another vet.  doG knows, mine aren't perfect and we have had some disagreements, but the fact that yours is recommending a pet-corrector for the normal behaviour of a puppy of a few weeks old makes me fear what would be recommended for an older dog with more established "bad habits"  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
I think you will find not many people on here will approve of these  :-\  Although some people say it is not an unkind method it is definitely not a positive training method.  Anything which frightens the dog or causes something unpleasant to happen when they behave in a certain way is a negative method and therefore not something I would use tbh.  Positive training means giving praise and rewards for the right behaviour and ignoring, not punishing the wrong behaviour!  ;)

I find that a simple Uhuh or a distraction is usually enough to interrupt unwanted behaviour  ;)  If it is just for the trouser problem I would probably persevere with distraction with a toy or something and if that doesn't work use time out.  Try and be patient, although it may not seem like it at the moment, it is something he will grow out of in time.  The first few months I had Coco, all my trousers had teeth marks in but suddenly I realised that she hadn't done it for ages - hurrah!  :D

Hope that helps!  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:06:38 PM »
absolutely not.

Hurley used to play with our trousers when he was a puppy and TBH it is just puppy behaviour that he will grow out of - he thinks everything is a game at the moment. I would just suggest time outs when he starts the pulling at the trouser behaviour - he'll soon learn that games stop when he starts the undesired behaviour.

Also agree with what Jan says about Ludo associating you with the spray with some really bad consequences.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 10:24:04 PM »
Sasha used to hang onto my trousers.  She did it for quite a while and suddenly it stopped.I used to to stand still and ignore her. I think they see something moving and grab it. I wouldn't use the air spray either.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »
 ;) have to say i agree with the other it is just normal puppy behaviour , i mopped my floors and hoovered with a hunny puppy hanging off my jeans for ages , she soon got bored because it wasnt a good game , i used to ignore her , no interest and mummy going mad no game , its all a new learning experience more so for us than the pups , but i must admit im a bit taken aback by a vet giving you this advice , id have a good read through the forum its brill and you will pick up loads of helpful advice , its been a godsend to me , good luck xx luv ruth n hun xxxxxxxx :blink:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »
I've had a few bits of dodgy advice from our vet, but Billys behaviourist just says to remember they are vets not behaviourists or trainers. I often let things they tell me go right over my head, i just smile and then when i get outside moan to OH about how they talk such rubbish  :005:

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
Just to clarify it was the vet nurse rather than the vet - apparently they got a new nurse who thinks these things are a good idea  :'( and one of the others has used it to 'correct behaviour' of her puppy  :-\ - I won't touch it with a barge pole - I'll just carry on with what I am doing and wait for the day when Dax gets bored with it all  :005: he has been better today - I ignored him today and it didn't last as long - played with him when he had settled down - OH is being left alone - I think it is my attention he is after as he really misses me when I go to work - sure it will resolve and thanks all -  :blink:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
swap the trousers for old toilet roll tubes or frozen carrots... they are much more fun :005:

Spray collar (usually a remote anti bark collar) should only be used on an adult dog with serious problems...

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 01:10:01 AM »
hi tasha - not sure my legs are thin enough to get into old toilet roll tubes with or without frozen carrots  :005:  Perhaps a diet ... though Dax is keeping my weight down I can tell you  :005:

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 02:53:19 AM »

Spray collar (usually a remote anti bark collar) should only be used on an adult dog with serious problems...

spray( and indeed shock ) collars should never be used under any circumstances on any dog regardless of age or problem!!
they can and do make the problems worse and bring up new problems through mis-timing and misuse - they work by being negative methods and do far too much 'mental' harm to any dog wearing one !

nice to hear you are not going to be using the collar Ludo  :D
best place for it is in the bin  ;)

or stick it round the nurses neck and when she objects give her a quick squirt and see how she likes it  >:(

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline jenza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
My training group - which has a dog behavourist attending - suggests for unwanted behaviour such as biting and chewing is to fill a small plastic bottle with pebbles and as soon as they go to start biting get someone to shake it - the noise should make them stop, quickly make a fuss of them and give them favourite toy or treat as a reward for stopping ......they also suggest the use of a water spray for unwanted behaviour.  Surely the use of thespray  collar is a similar thing?

This is a great board but I have been shot down in the past for suggesting alternative things - only to be told ' that you will find not many people on here will approve of this'  so please don't shoot me down in flames. ;)