Author Topic: Pet Corrector: views please  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Pet Corrector: views please
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »
I think a lot of people are commenting about electric/spray collars but I thought 'pet corrector' is an aresol can of compressed air that you are meant to hold behind your back so the dog doesn't know you are instigating the sound. It makes a hiss like a goose (but louder the harder you press) which interupts the bad behaviour so you can then praise the dogs for stopping.

by serious problems I would normally put into that category livestock worrying at which point clicker training really would be of very little use unless a dog is on a lead, off lead the dog would be shot by the local farmer without intervention  ::) Sadly this has happened locally several times.

I am not a fan of electric collars at all I honestly think they are cruel but I have no problem with the spray collars which can be effective when used correctly for short periods of time by an experienced and qualified trainer. 

Have you ever been squirted in your face with citronella? Why not try it and see if you feel the same.
If you have a dog that worries livestock then why let it off lead near livestock?
Is the dog supposed to generalise this to lots of different locations and types of beast?
or do you use it in multiple locations and when steadying to all creatures great and small.
Blow it, lets just get the Cesar Milan book out.
I have said it before spray collars, rattle bottles may bury a behaviour for a time but there is every chance it will resurface at a later date.
What then?
Over to you! ;)
Mark

Mark we were instructed to use a pet corrector can by a behaviourist for Charlies barking problem.  Basically he could go on for well over an hour without enough pause for reward making setting up training situations extremely difficult. Along with lots other positive changes to our routine and the main emphasis on positive training (food rewards) over several weeks, we were also shown by her how and when to use the spray can.  We only had to use it a few times for him to understand that being quiet meant food or attention. He also never seemed afraid just looked around to see where the noise came from.  Would you say in that situation it was a harmfull or negative training aid?

Millie

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »
If there was no adverse reaction then I would say no but i have seen cases where these have been used and made no difference or caused further anxiety which is why i urge caution in these matters.
Personally after what i have seen I would not advise clients to use them.
why was your dog barking out of interest?
mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »

Billys behaviourist is totally against them too Mark.

I wouldn't be comfortable using one with Billy to be honest.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »
My own dogs DONT have this problem I take the time and make the effort to stock train them with everything from sheep and cattle to lama's thanks very much for the insult neither do they have the need for any form of collar although as a precaution they have worn them when we move house so as not to upset my neighbours.  When you have six dogs that live in the hoouse of varying size its not acceptable to be a noise menace especially when you live in a town like Brighton where dogs are not exactly tolerated all that well.

However I do deal with rescue and not everyone who has a sheep worrier for an example works their dog.  There are alot of people that live near sheep, cattle etc take most of the people in rural england and wales unless your local area is arable and we get the occassional problem dog that has KILLED not just worried an animal at which point the owners are desperate for something that will help them stop it happening again.  Some dogs for example have had sheep grazing in the field next to their homes so other than killing the dog or rehoming it which alot of people are reluctant to do without doing something to resolve the situation what else would you suggest?????  Not all dogs can be rehomed when they have this sort of problem in a city, they just would not survive.

You are a trainer and one of working ilk so what do you do when a client comes to you and says I have a problem, I don't want to get rid of my dog and it still needs to be usable as a working dog in and around livestock????

remember that in some circles shooting it in the head is the quickest method of dispatch and cheaper than a vet.  Yoou can't just advocate the chucking away of dogs.

First of all  Tasha I never advocated your dogs had any problems at all so i don't know how I have insulted you!
Did you use the spray collars when you moved home? If so why do you think they barked?
Do you think using one changed how they felt? or did you need a quick fix?
I do appreciate that some people may have problems with livestock but surely better fencing, exercise away from livestock is a better option than a punishment which might not work, can you not see what I'm saying!
Yes it may stop the dog once or twice or even many times but there will still be that one occasion that the dog gets its own way if the desire to hunt is that strong.
Even an E collar may not be enough!
Why put your dog in a position to fail in the first place.
you punish and punish and still the dog gets PTS
It is not in my oppinion justifiable but then I'm sure you'll disagree.
Careful management would be my solution That is a more humane way of making sure it will not happen again.
Like punishment this method is not fool proof but at least my heart I will know I  have tried to the best by the dog without causing it undue discomfort.
It just means the humans will have to take responsibility to manage the dogs lifestyle accordingly which CAN be done. If a client came to me and said that they needed to work their livestock worrying dog I would ask them Why they NEEDED to work the dog in such a situation and I would probably advise them against working it if it could not be steadied over time using systematic desensitisation but i would certainly go down that route first.
If the need to work a dog is so great that you have to put an e collar on it to get it to do what you want then I 'd rather not thanks.
I certainly would never advocate the shooting in the head of any dog and if you believe that then I am insulted! As for throwing them away then I believe some dogs do not match certain homes and if you work with rescue you will understand that.
Each case is unique and has to be taken on it's individual merits and any advice I give does not have to be taken.
That is for the owners conscience and theirs alone.
I am proud it is a decision I will never have to make Tasha.

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
What is it?
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 12:21:54 AM »
Mark I agree with alot of what you said I'm playing devils advocate to a degree BUT I don't think you are being completely realistic.  Farming communities even keepers will dispatch their own dogs if they are not suitable for the job that they have been bred to do. I know the farmers round here have no qualms about shooting a dog worrying their live stock :(  I don't agree with it but it is still a practise that goes on.

It is not always possible to reinforce fencing which was one of your suggestions, for the majority the fencing may not belong to the person with the dog or costs will not allow for improved fencing for miles just to stop one dogs access, that suggestion really only works with pet owners doing their gardens. 

I use the spray collars when the students come back from the holidays IF it is necessary (usually for a day) when I am not in the building and have to attend classes.  Barking on campus is totally unacceptable and would result in my losing my accommodation normally though its unnecessary as I spend a few days in doors with them till they are used to all the noise from the returning students.  The collars rarely have more than one spray in them and not the citronella variety.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 07:02:47 AM »
If there was no adverse reaction then I would say no but i have seen cases where these have been used and made no difference or caused further anxiety which is why i urge caution in these matters.
mark

He barked when we were out if we stopped to talk to someone or for a drink etc. Also when he wanted to get to another dog but was on the lead. We were told (after assesment and lots of questions) that he felt he had to lead us and make all the decisions so when we were out he'd get frustrated if we weren't doing what he wanted/expected us to do. Also he had received attention for it in the past. It did make sense as he rarely did it with my Dad who is a very confident person, and if he did start Dad only had to say a firm 'no' and he would stop straight away.

Millie

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
There was a dog with a collar on last night at ring class. Not sure what type if it was an electric one or a spray one as ive not seen one before but it looked like a medi-evil method if torture. As soon as the collar was off it started barking again so to me there was no point in it having it on ph34r

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
mark

He barked when we were out if we stopped to talk to someone or for a drink etc. Also when he wanted to get to another dog but was on the lead. We were told (after assesment and lots of questions) that he felt he had to lead us and make all the decisions so when we were out he'd get frustrated if we weren't doing what he wanted/expected us to do. Also he had received attention for it in the past. It did make sense as he rarely did it with my Dad who is a very confident person, and if he did start Dad only had to say a firm 'no' and he would stop straight away.

The diagnoses of frustration sounds plausible and probable but your dog was only repeating behaviour that had previously been rewarded.  
Dog's will do what they can to repeat a rewarding experience and contrary to what some people believe they are not making a play for being head of the household by doing so.
Yes, dogs can be manipulative to try and achieve the rewards and  in my oppinion in a very similar way to some children.
Everyone has their own ideas about how to raise kids and i guess it's the same with trainers in regard to dogs but you can only take any expert advice at face value.  At the end of the day everyone has to do what they believe is right for them.

I would have taught him to choose a different response without aversives myself ;), but put ten dog trainers in a room and they will all come up with something different. ;)
As I have said  aversives have the potential to be misused, ill timed, used in frustration and anger and form unwanted associations, which is why I would not reccomend them in a case such as this, especially when there are other more positive methods in the trainers tool box.
Mark

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
mark

The diagnoses of frustration sounds plausible and probable but your dog was only repeating behaviour that had previously been rewarded.  
Dog's will do what they can to repeat a rewarding experience and contrary to what some people believe they are not making a play for being head of the household by doing so.
Yes, dogs can be manipulative to try and achieve the rewards and  in my oppinion in a very similar way to some children.
Everyone has their own ideas about how to raise kids and i guess it's the same with trainers in regard to dogs but you can only take any expert advice at face value.  At the end of the day everyone has to do what they believe is right for them.

I would have taught him to choose a different response without aversives myself ;), but put ten dog trainers in a room and they will all come up with something different. ;)
As I have said  aversives have the potential to be misused, ill timed, used in frustration and anger and form unwanted associations, which is why I would not reccomend them in a case such as this, especially when there are other more positive methods in the trainers tool box.
Mark

Thanks Mark, I was very carefull not to mention the word dominance as that wasn't the issue at all  ;)
Millies trainer has used the pet corrector in the past so I was keen to get your view on the situation, obviously she's completely different from Charlie and now knowing that it could make her worse or scare her I doubt I'll use it.  Three different dog trainers have commented that I have really good timing so perhaps thats why she thought I could use it as everything else she said was very much in line with how you feel  :-\.

Millie

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »
try remember that not ALL collars are bad.  I use a vibrating collar on one of my danes because he's deaf and its the only responsible thing to do without having him forever on a lead.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »
try remember that not ALL collars are bad.  I use a vibrating collar on one of my danes because he's deaf and its the only responsible thing to do without having him forever on a lead.
I have never used one Tasha nor know anybody who does so i can't comment.
Barry Eaton (author of Hear hear) I believe is not to keen on them but I'm not sure why without looking into it.
I might even be wrong but i remember something on the APDT forum regarding this issue.

Mark

Offline jobyhere

• Site Member
  • Jo , mum to 3 humans and 2 woofers Roxy & Izzy
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
Like in so many area's many "experts" with different opinions.  In a court of law its really easy to find an "expert" that will say the total  opposite of another.  Creates healthy debate though....... ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Like in so many area's many "experts" with different opinions.  In a court of law its really easy to find an "expert" that will say the total  opposite of another.  Creates healthy debate though....... ;)

For me, it is about risk - if there is a chance that a particular method could *backfire* and leave a dog with other, perhaps more serious, issues then I won't consider using it myself, and wouldn't recommend it  :-\ 
That's not to say that it doesn't work - but I am not an expert and so how on earth could I guarantee that I would get it right ?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
well a vibrating collar does no harm whatsoever but does act to get the dogs attention.