Author Topic: over excited fretting/crying when on walking the lead  (Read 522 times)

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
over excited fretting/crying when on walking the lead
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »
 :D Hi can anyone offer any advise or has anyone experienced a similar thing!!

Just recently whilst out walking Kasper has started to screech and fret when he See's dogs, due to the fact that he wants to rush off and play and I like to keep him on the lead until I see how the other dogs/owners react towards him, combined with the fact that our recall has fallen to pieces recently (he used t be very good).
This noise however is horrific, it sound as though I am killing him, I also had an incident today with another dog trying to mount him there was a lot of growling on both parts (i was starting to get a bit worried as it was a particularly large/heavy dog). The thing is when this dog first appeared Kasper was on his lead making the whining/screeching noise I spoke to the owner of the dog and she assured me he was friendly so I let Kasper off to play, do you think that it might have been Kasper's behaviour that prompted a bad response (as the dog's owner seemed really shocked about it).

Also has anyone got ant tips on how best to deal with this as I do need to keep him on the lead sometimes even when he wants to go and play.

Offline Ali77

• Site Member
Re: over excited fretting/crying when on walking the lead
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
No tips i'm afraid as we've only had our baby a weeks but i'll be watching for future tips

Ali x

Offline Sian P

• Site Member
Re: over excited fretting/crying when on walking the lead
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
I remember Murphy doing this and the noise ewas awful! All I can remember doing though was to allow him to greet with sniffing and reassure and praise him if he was good (no screeching) then moving on. He seeems to have got over it in time with it turning from screeching to just plain excitedness and now he either walks by too busy sniffing something else or just gets excited and wants to play which isn't too bad. He's now 9 months. Sorry can't be more helpful.
Sian & Murphy x