Author Topic: Help... were loosing the plot...  (Read 1987 times)

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
Re: Help... were loosing the plot...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 11:34:39 PM »
when I was house training Hurley I found that nothing really clicked until I started using food as a reward  ::)
everytime he went outside I gave him a piece of ham and once he got the positive reward assocated with going outside (and a massive fuss!) then he started going outside almost every time  ;)
I done the same with Marlee. And once he knew that weeing outside means food. He got it really really fast. He's now 5 months, and I still take him out every couple of hours. Although now, its, I just open the door and say "Marlee Wee" and he does, I then give him a small treat.

As others have said, it WILL get better. The key is (that I found) is to ignore the dog (I know its very hard) when he wees inside and praise him like hell when he goes outside - plus food. And also, take him out every hour, and after he's eaten, slept and played. I know its hard to do that at night, but he'll get used to holding it (I was so so so lucky with Marlee, he slept from 11pm to 8am since we brought him home [with one night exception] - no idea how we got that lucky, but Hey).

Good luck! We all know what you are going though. In the first weeks of having Marlee, his weeing in the house reduced me to tears more than a couple of times.

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
Re: Help... were loosing the plot...
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
Annie was a pee machine when we first got her...but patience is the key..we too spent most days/nights in garden saying wee wee rewarding with a treat...since about 5 months shes got it and now when we open door she hops out & knows she gets a treat
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie