Author Topic: Teenage boy and wees ???? Advice please. UPDATE  (Read 1578 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
Teenage boy and wees ???? Advice please. UPDATE
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:16:39 AM »
I just wondered whether it is usual for teens to slip up with their toiletting? (Our boy is 6 months old this week).   :luv: This is an area where he has been absolutely excellent.   :angel: (We had the usual accidents at the beginning but within a couple of weeks he had the hang of it and with regular trips out to the loo he was as dry as a bone in the house).  :blink: This week he has had 3 or 4 accidents in the kitchen - one of these was at the back door cos I couldn't get the door open quickly enough and he couldn't hold on.   :luv: (He is let out to the loo every 1.5 to 2 hours as always). 

Today he had been dry all day then at around 7pm we found an accident which he then led in  ::) Yuck - that's a first!  ::) so after taking him to the park he got his second bath of the week  :005:

The only thing I can think of that is different is that he has had an ear infection in his left ear :'( so he has been a poorly boy (very sore) despite all the care I take with his ears :-\ The vet said that the antibiotic injection could cause him to eat and drink more :'( he has been drinking gallons and I wonder if his bladder has got so full he just can't hold on (one of his accidents was at the back door - he was pawing at the door to get out and I just couldn't get the door open fast enough - he whimpered before he had his accident.  :luv: That is the only thing I can think of which is different.  :huh:

We have gone back to scratch - accidents are always ignored and praising him big style when he goes outside to wee - I am going to start click, treating again for a while.  :blink:  Hopefully things will settle down again  :blink: At what age do they get full bladder control? Do teens tend to regress anyway?  :-\ I would like to know what other people have experienced with their boys.  Cheers.  ;)

PS 25/4/08: We think the cause of this problem has been the inflammatory injection.  :'( He seems fine in himself is eating and drinking ok and isn't subdued at all  :luv: - it is doing its job with his ear but it seems to have played havoc with his bladder  >:D and we also think it has made him a bit hyper  ::) - tonight in puppy class he led down and the wee just came whilst he was led there with no warning - I don't think he was even aware of it at first  :luv:  I think this is what must have happened when I thought he had gone and led in an accident - he had an accident in his bed this morning and the quantity of wee he is doing is unbelievable  ::) - there is gallons of the stuff and frequently - I'm going to ring the vet in the morning to see what can be done - I have bathed him twice today to keep his skin clean and to stop him from reeking of urine - I hope the side effects abate soon - its such a shame  :'(

I will just have to keep him clean and change his bedding etc., frequently until things settle down which is no hardship  :005: - the ear on the other hand is looking much better - virtually back to normal and isn't causing him any discomfort now at all  ;)  At least that's something - it hasn't been a good week!  >:(
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Teenage boy and wees ???? Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:13 AM »
If this has just started since the antibiotics, then that's what it probably is, as the vet said. (he didn't get a steriod shot did he?)

My boys slip-ups usually happened when they started leg lifting; they don't associate it with weeing (baby stuff  :005:) they see it as "territory marking" (manly stuff  ::) >:( :005:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
I'd say it's more than likely due to the antibiotics and increased drinking as well plus him just not feeling well poor boy  :'(  See how he goes when he's feeling better but I'd say that he'll probably get back to normal again pretty quickly. Neither Alfie nor Rodaidh regressed in their toilet training once they'd learned what 'outside' is for unless they were ill and suffered an attack of the runs overnight which has happened once or twice.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
ok - that reassuring - thanks.  ;)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:34:22 PM »
Just wanted to say I hope Dax feels a bit better soon poor boy.  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
Thanks Louis mum - he is on the mend  :luv: his ear is looking more pink (it was really red raw - happened verrrrry quickly) and smelled weird - vet said it smelled like yeast and asked if he had been swimming - he hasn't and I have no idea how he picked this up - no ear mites (had used Thornits) - the other ear has been absolutely fine - vet said that cockers do get this problem because their ears get hot and sweaty  ::)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
How often should the Thornits be used?

I bought some but have only used it once.

Glad to hear Dax is on the mend.  :luv:

How is ringcraft going?

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
Hi Louis mum - the Thornit should be used once a week - just a small pinch is enough - I'm only using it on his good ear at the moment  :lol2: his other one is improving - went to the vet tonight - it is still inflamed so he had another anti inflammatory injection (I thought the last one was antibiotic but I was wrong  :-\) - I have to keep going with the drops though he isn't in discomfort now.  Our vet wants to make sure it is nipped in the bud so it doesn't become an ongoing problem.  :blink:

Our ringcraft is fortnightly - we go again on the 28th so I have been practicing at home - I've ordered a new lead for showing from hide and collars - it is made from lambskin with a strong nylon cord through it for strength - it has a padded bit which goes under the chin for comfort - if you want the link just let me know.  I'm hoping that will help me to have better control  :rofl1: so I won't nearly end up on the floor like I did at one point last time towards the end of the night   :rofl1: :rofl1:

We are at obedience tomorrow - we have a test and I'm a bit apprehensive but I'll be ok when [/** oops Dax is helping me type with his nose  :005: :005: :005: I get there  ph34r - not holding my breath that Dax will do everything cos he will want to play with the choc lab puppy  :luv: who sits next to him  :005:

We've been practicing waiting at gates all week and teaching him to spin (cos we have to do a trick each week as well) - the one thing I can't manage is the loose lead walking - I'm not too good at this and it is going to take ages to get this one right - keep your fingers crossed for us  ;)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
Ooooh yes please for the show lead link.  :D

Sounds like Dax is doing fab  ;) I taught Alfie the loose lead walking by initially teaching him where the position 'heel' is (by luring him to my leg with treat and then saying heel). I did it offlead at home first, then introduced the lead. Whilst walking I just continually say the word heel, treating him intermittently and talking in the most stupid voice at how clever he is.  :005: It does seem to keep him on a loose lead.  ;) However, at ringcraft it is a different story.  :lol2: Too many distractions like stray treats on the floor.  ::) :005:

He was a swine at ringcraft last night  ::) he barked for the WHOLE class. However his older lady friend the staffy did occupy him a little.  :luv: Why couldnt he pick a dainty breed.  :005: She would eat him for breakfast.  :lol2:

I discovered last night that I was walking him too slowly on the mat, speeding up made him walk nicer, and prevented him hoovering the floor.  :005:

Good luck tomorrow.  ;) I am sure Dax will do you proud.  :luv:

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Hi - the link is

http://www.hideandcollars.co.uk/showset.htm

I ordered the lambskin set.

love your story about his undainty girlfriend by the way but boys will be boys :005: - I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow ;)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »
Ooooh they look nice. Thanks.  :D

Good luck tomorrow.  :D