Author Topic: Purdey - crying all night  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Purdey - crying all night
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2008, 08:45:36 AM »
I know quite a few people sleep downstairs to begin with - don't see a problem with this - but I would def shut her in her crate so she gets the idea of sleeping in there on her own albeit with you close by, rather than snuggled up with you on the sofa!  :-\ :005: Dogs are den animals and like a small cosy space to feel safe.  ;)

I have to say I hated the first few weeks but it does get better and the first milestone is for you both to be able to get a good night's sleep  ;)

Hope things improve for you soon and your nasty neighbour is a very heavy sleeper  ::) ;)

Have just seen this on the BBC:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7450321.stm

If only they could make a puppy crate out of this stuff...........  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »

Why is you sleeping downstairs with her a problem?  If she is crying non-stop for several hours, then she hasn't really learnt anything so far, and is probably very scared and stressed, which will make the next night more difficult for her, etc etc.  :-\

I really don't see a problem with you sleeping next to her crate for a few days

On her first two nights here i started off sleeping right next to her - just the other side of the gate to the kitchen (as we didnt have the crate then) and she just howled and cried all night anyway. After my post last night, my OH went down to her and brought her crate through to next to the sofa, and again she just cried and cried.

It doesnt seem to make any difference, so I figure I may as well sleep in my own bed and away from the crying if she is just going to cry anyway! 

She is not the only one who is scared and stressed. I had to get my OH to drive my little boy to nursery this morning as I didnt trust myself behind the wheel of the car!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »
It doesnt seem to make any difference, so I figure I may as well sleep in my own bed and away from the crying if she is just going to cry anyway! 

It won't work instantly - especially if she has got herself worked up before you go to her; a bit like a lost toddler who can't stop sobbing straight away even when he does find his Mum  ;)

I appreciate it is hard, and I know whilst sleep deprivation can do to you - I would think long and hard before hving another puppy beause I didn't enjoy it much  ph34r; but I'm not convinced that leaving her to cry for hours alone really is the kindest solution, although I am sure it works for some  :-\

I would suggest you sit down with your family, and agree a bedtime routine that suits you, and plans for you or your OH to sleep on the sofa, with her next to you in the crate.  Settle her down, with a treat, cuddly toy, perhaps a hot water bottle and some snuggly blankets, - you could even put a blanket partly over the crate to make a den one end if it helps. Turn off the lights and talk to her quietly if she begins to whimper or cry. If she settles but wakes in the night and cries - take her out for to toilet (no playing or cuddles, keep it dark and low-key) and settle her again with a treat. It might not work the first night, or the second, but it will begin to work, and once she has learnt to settle with you next to her crate, you can start to move it further away from the sofa and into the kitchen. It will only be a matter of weeks before she learns to settle without you and you will begin to get your beauty sleep again  ;)

Can you remember the disturbed nights when you son was a baby? At the time they probably seemed to last forever, but they really were only for a short time; having a pup is no different really; they are such tiny babies and everything is so new, scary and overwhelming for them  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
Thanks Cob-Web. I think we will do exactly what you have suggested and go back to square one. Its too upsetting for all of us to do it this way!

In addition to your suggestions, we have just invested in a DAP diffuser, which is plugged in now, so hopefully giving off lovely soothing pheromones!!   :shades:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
So sorry for your nights you have been getting with your little one.

Keep at it, it wont be long now!!!  :D
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline noisypup

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
Hey there,

We got our crate come through yesterday as we decided to give it a go after many sleepless nights since we got Ally 2 weeks ago.

She was just sleeping in a bed under the kitchen table - but it took about 20 mins of her cying and howling to settle down and as soon as one of us got up to go the loo she was wide awake and causing havoc in the kitchen again, then again at 5.45 when my partner got up for work and didnt stop holwing until I came down to her - half asleep and very annoyed!

But....I got her crate come through yesterday so I spent the afternoon making it comfortable for her and playing with her in it - I also put her in it once or twice and shut the door to get her used to it...so last night came and crunch time...we put her to bed about 11.00pm in her crate under the kitchen work top...we covered it with a towel and turned off the light and bingo....no crying at all...with the door shut that was too! Ok maybe for about 2 minutes but then she slept and slept and slept and didnt wake up until 7.00am today when my partner went downstairs...we let her out for 10 mins while I saw him off then I put her back in and went back to bed and again, no crying or noise until 9am when I went back downstairs again and let her out - no crying or no mess on the kitchen floor - AMAZING! Loving the crate even tho the breeder we got her from told me to steer clear of crates as they were the work of the devil and we were cruel if we did get onel....not as cruel as being kept awake all night?!

All I can say is shutting the door on the crate and putting a towel over it so she is in darkness has helped me 100% and she only wakes now when we wake up? sorry I didnt read all the posts, but dont know if you tried covering the crate or not?

Good luck for tonight anyway and hope you get more sleep...I am only starting to catch up now so I am with you on the exhaustion!

Kit xxx

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
I have to agree with cob-web, i believe sleeping in the living room with Charley really helped him feel more comforted at a time when he probably was really very scared.  In fact i got so used to sleeping alone on the settee that my partner had to ask me when i was thinking of moving back upstairs!  :005: I had him at arms reach so i could touch his nose when he started to wimper, once he realised i was still there he would go to sleep. Once he became more settled with us and began to trust us and settle in his surroundings a little more, i then moved him into the kitchen, while i still slept on the settee - he was usually asleep before me, so while i was rustling about in the kitchen or locking all the windows etc before i went to sleep, he was again reassured that i was still around, while he slept.  Only when i felt he was truly at home did i move myself back upstairs.  Whether we just had it easy or whether what we did made it more easy i dont know. I can only sympathise and hope it gets better in time. 

REUBY DOOO!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
I found the crate next to the bed was the easiest option for us with both Alfie and Billy (whilst he was here) Both dogs progressed quickly from the crate at night to sleeping wherever they wanted without causing meyham and havoc
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
So - where are out at now with Purdey, has she managed to settle down a bit for you?

xx
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »
So - where are out at now with Purdey, has she managed to settle down a bit for you?

All is great in the Purdey household!! I've resigned myself to sleeping on the sofa until she is more settled, and she sleeps like an angel until she needs to go outside at about 4am but then is fine to go straight back into her crate until 7am so we are all feeling much better.  :luv:  Might be time to try moving her into the kitchen so she can still see me on the sofa but that much further away!

She had her 2nd jabs and was microchipped today, as well as being carried to school so its been a very busy morning and the Purdster is now crashed out fast asleep.

She is also booked in for a puppy party tonight, so that should be great fun!  :D

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
That is great news  :D  just shows there is really no right or wrong way - it is just a matter of finding what works for you  ;)

Enjoy the puppy party - should be great fun and hopefully will also mean that Purdey is tired out tonight and ready for her bed  :D :luv:
Julie and Watson