Author Topic: 'Aggression' in 13 week old pup  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Chips Family

'Aggression' in 13 week old pup
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
Hope you can help, we got Chip 11 days ago he was 11 weeks old at that time, he is a lovely pup and doing very well. He is our first pup and we have three children (12, 10 and 4)

We are a little concerned though over the last day or two he has started to get a little over excited and show aggression towards our youngest (who's 4) by growling and 'nipping' but no stronger than he nips when 'playing'. He has also done a similar thing towards my husband, who has read that if he 'holds' him down he should be submissive and give up, yet Chip still gets angry and persists on growling and nipping! >:(

As you can imagine we are concerned is this normal? Is it his age? Is it his teeth?

Any and all advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: 'Aggression' in 13 week old pup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
Someone will be along soon with some sound advice  ;)

He has also done a similar thing towards my husband, who has read that if he 'holds' him down he should be submissive and give up, yet Chip still gets angry and persists on growling and nipping! >:(

I don't blame him growling and nipping if you are doing this to him - I would if you tried to hold me down too

Have a look here and look at the link in the thread too http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2016.0

I'm not sure about the growling at 13 weeks tho  :-\ Are you sure it's not him just playing and a noise he makes - personally cos of this I would get in a qualified behaviourist to check it out properly - as we can't tell on line whether it is growling or not

Find a trainer from here,  http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
Hello

this is normal, but should be dealt with - kindly and by application of basic puppy-sense - as soon as possible.

if you look down at the 'puppy biting' thread below, and can face going through 4 pages of stuff, there's a lot in there

my very best advice (i'm a vet with an interest in animal behaviour, particularly dog development) is that you get onto amazon this second and buy 'Before and After Getting your Puppy' by Ian Dunbar and also 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training' by Pam Dennison, get both of them on 'next day delivery' and read them from cover to cover  - or at least the first half of the Dunbar book, where it talks about bite inhibition being the most urgent phase of puppy development - and goes into far more detail than we ever can here about exactly how to do it sanely and kindly so your pup learns never to bite but does it without learning fear of people.

good luck

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
you get onto amazon this second and buy 'Before and After Getting your Puppy' by Ian Dunbar and also 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training' by Pam Dennison,

I agree with Eceni about getting those books  :D

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »
This is the thread that  Eceni is refering to
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=45709.0
Read through all four pages of the thread it will answer all of your questions
Yes his behaviour is normal, yes he is playing, no you should not pin him down! But you should be kind, calm, loving have oodles of patience and a fantastic sense of humor!

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
[This is normal puppy behaviour. It is how he would have played in the litter intially although at 13 weeks you need to work hard to prevent the playbiting from now on.  Please don't hold the puppy down, many trainers have told me that this has led to puppies and dogs becoming fearful and therefore turning in to aggressive dogs.  Have you booked in to training classes?  Understanding dogs can be a minefield and there is so much conflicting opinion.  But I think some pointers in positive training methods will give you the confidence to understand your puppy more and know how to deal with this.  There are some great books which others have recommended on this site.  Search through all the puppy posts and you will see some excellent advice to other people who have felt like you.  Honestly, I remember going through the same with our first cocker, he nearly went back.  But training classes helped me understand this was entirely normal, and with our new puppy (now 9 months) I have only used ignoring, time out, and reward (treats and praise) based encouragement. Just the same as I have with my children. I know how my son would react if I held him down.  I used to put myself between the child and the puppy, we yelped when he bit too hard and ignored him or put him in to time out when he got overexcited. They often overstep the mark, and it is a good idea to learn when the play is getting over excited and time to calm down required.  My son is 10, and to begin with I always supervised the play closely to make sure both played appropriately. Sorry about the ramble, probably makes no sense, in a rush.  Hope things improve, they grow up so fast (well as grown up as a cocker can get)

Offline Chips Family

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Thanks you all very much for you help and advice I will endeavour to follow all what has been suggested!!

Any more adivie is more than welcome tho ;)

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
Really good advice here. It can be a bit scary seeing this behaviour hen it is your first pup. However folloing the advice on here could make all the difference between your little rascal growing up into an aggressive dog or a well-behaved dog.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »
read them from cover to cover  - or at least the first half of the Dunbar book, where it talks about bite inhibition being the most urgent phase of puppy development - and goes into far more detail than we ever can here about exactly how to do it sanely and kindly so your pup learns never to bite but does it without learning fear of people.

You can also read "The Bite Stops Here" article while you're waiting for the books to arrive (link is in the sticky on Puppy Play biting and probably is very similar to what appears in the book as it's written by Dr Dunbar) : http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm
Jane

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »
Yep perfectly normal.. some pups are worse than others and it takes a long time for pups to grow out of this too. I've had two cocker pups - the second one was when my son was four (last year) and he was constantly under attack. Trying to overpower or dominate the pup is not the best way to do it so please don't let your husband do that as he's potentially going to make the pup a lot worse... as he won't trust any of you and you may end up with an unpredictable adult dog.

Kindness and patience and avoidance of conflicts are the best way by far and will build you a really great relationship with your dog - I kept my pup separate from my four year old (with a baby gate for nearly six month it took the stress out of the whole situation and they now have a wonderful gentle trusting relationship. It's well worth it for all the aggravation of a few months to have a dog you can really trust with young children (although I always supervise even now in case young boys get the urge to 'experiment' as they do!) You can let them play together but have a long line on the pups collar and if he gets too rough, then gently pull him away from the situation and time him out in a place he can't get to anyone. That way he will learn to play happily and nicely and realise as soon as he gets rough he doesn't get to play anymore... but it will take time!

Try and see his 'aggressive behaviour' as a two year old having tantrums holding a 2 yr old down or shouting at it doesn't achieve anything - ignoring the behavior takes time but teaches the child a good way to behave and that you are a kind person, being gentle and kind is a good thing and trust and a good relationship are established..

It's hard work but hang in there, be patient for a few months and you'll have a lovely family pet eventually, but he is only a baby at the moment doing what baby dogs do   >:D :005::luv:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
wow the 'potential problems' bit on the 'bite stops here' link sums it all up for me! I enjoyed reading that thanks Jane!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
Nothing much to add, because you have been given great advice on here. Only wanted to say that many "problem" dogs are scared of men because they follow this dominance principle.   >:D I wish you good luck with Chips and am sure that you will work through this in the end. With Twix, we yelped every time she nipped too hard and that seemed to do the trick with her.  :D